Virtual Log Deleted

geocat_

My wife used to tolerate my caching insanity but would occasionally tag along for some finds. On a trip out to Montana 3 years ago she and I found several Virtuals together. I logged those finds with my account, submitting the required information. Now that my wife has started caching on her own, I backlogged some of the more memorable finds after sifting through my lists. On one particular Virtual, this log was deleted within 24 hours. I sent the following explanation to the CO:

I am curious if you can help me. My wife, Mrs. geocat, used to cache as part of "team geocat_" We enjoyed visiting "one of many" together back on a trip to see my sister in 2011. Since that time, she has been diagnosed with cancer and spent 8 weeks in the hospital last spring. As part of her recovery, she wanted to start caching on her own. This was a very powerful thing for her, physically but also psychologically.

Recently, we have been going through some old caches of note, particularly those during this trip out west, and logging them as finds on her own account. We are really not trying to pull any "armchair logging" here. She was with me for this find as part of our caching team when I submitted the answers.

I am respectfully asking you to allow this log. Thanks for your time :-)

----------------------------------

I am wondering if there is a rule or etiquette about this. Neither of us are adamant about one silly log, but more the principle of this. The way I see it, this one was logged legitimately.

Edited by geocat_

Typically, saying you were part of a team in most traditionals is enough to let the log stand with your explanation. We have found that some Virtual owners do require the information to be resent with the new cacher name in the sake of preserving the validity of the logs.

I would relog the cache and resend the information. It should be fine.

It's a common thing, someone logging a virt long after the fact. The most common reason is probably yours, a team account separating into two accounts. Sometimes people are just really late logging a cache that they found with someone else.

I'm not sure what she posted in her log, but the best thing to do is to say in each log that she's separating her account, and that "geocat" already sent in the answers.

Hopefully, your email will do the trick. If not, email Groundspeak and they should reinstate her logs for you.

It's a common thing, someone logging a virt long after the fact. The most common reason is probably yours, a team account separating into two accounts. Sometimes people are just really late logging a cache that they found with someone else.

I'm not sure what she posted in her log, but the best thing to do is to say in each log that she's separating her account, and that "geocat" already sent in the answers.

Hopefully, your email will do the trick. If not, email Groundspeak and they should reinstate her logs for you.

Good point. She did state that she found the cache with me and mentions my caching name as well as the fact she only recently created her own account. Apologized for the late entry as well.

If you never get rid of your emails, you may have the answers for the virts still floating around out there, and she could send them again to satisfy the owner, as well.

I sent it through Groundspeak using the "form" that comes up when sending a message to another owner sad.gif

Good point. She did state that she found the cache with me and mentions my caching name as well as the fact she only recently created her own account. Apologized for the late entry as well.

Ah, then you did your best.

My husband doesn't log his cache finds, he only likes the outdoor part. But he bemoans the fact that his find count is quite woeful. So I've tried to go in and at least catch up his account with virts/earthcaches, because they are more sensitive. After logging many many finds, I have yet to have a log deleted, fortunately!

Of course, I have probably a hundred to catch up on now, so who knows. If I had problems, I would probably just find my original email, since I don't get rid of many things in gmail. If that failed, I would contact Groundspeak.

If you never get rid of your emails, you may have the answers for the virts still floating around out there, and she could send them again to satisfy the owner, as well.

I sent it through Groundspeak using the "form" that comes up when sending a message to another owner sad.gif

There's a little box you can click on that form that says, "Email me a copy of this message". At this time, it is automatically ticked, so you will get a copy of the email. But I don't think it was always automatically ticked. You may have the copy in your email box somewhere and not know it.

The cache owner has this written on the cache page.

Each cacher is required to send the required information and not rely on another cacher to provide it. Failure to follow this procedure will result in a deleted log.

I know, as I own popular virtuals, that MANY people try to armchair log them. I can see how the owner wants every person to send the answers to limit the number of German "I was there with that guy" logs.

You can always email another finder and ask for the answers. :ph34r:

I found it back in 05, so I might have them around here somewhere...

The cache owner has this written on the cache page.

Each cacher is required to send the required information and not rely on another cacher to provide it. Failure to follow this procedure will result in a deleted log.

I know, as I own popular virtuals, that MANY people try to armchair log them. I can see how the owner wants every person to send the answers to limit the number of German "I was there with that guy" logs.

You can always email another finder and ask for the answers. :ph34r:

I found it back in 05, so I might have them around here somewhere...

Thanks for the help. She has logged it again and it has not been deleted after almost 24 hours. I am hopeful they reconsidered their earlier deletion.