Transfer Caches via Bluetooth

Shortleaf

I have had a hard time figuring out how caches are transferred to the newer GPS devices. I am looking at a oregon 600 or montana 600 and I saw a video showing how they can be transferred using a cable. I have also seen transfer between GPS devices using wireless. Is it possible to transfer from a bluetooth laptop to either of these devices?

Right now I still use my ancient GPS V, which I actually love and sometimes my iphone. But I am considering getting one of the above mentioned devices to double as a caching tool and vehicle navigation.

I have had a hard time figuring out how caches are transferred to the newer GPS devices. I am looking at a oregon 600 or montana 600 and I saw a video showing how they can be transferred using a cable. I have also seen transfer between GPS devices using wireless. Is it possible to transfer from a bluetooth laptop to either of these devices?

Right now I still use my ancient GPS V, which I actually love and sometimes my iphone. But I am considering getting one of the above mentioned devices to double as a caching tool and vehicle navigation.

The Oregon & Montana series uses the ANT+ protocol to transfer information. The Monterra is bluetooth enabled.

Thanks, either way it's easier than manually entering coords into my GPS V! Still undecided between the two units, or if I even need/want a new one at all. I really like the simple interface on my old one. It may sound silly but I think a lot of the newer devices have kind of a cartoony looking interface, though not as bad as most vehicle navigation units.

If you're geocaching, you really do want a unit with paperless caching abilities, if only to bring the descriptions with you so you don't have to print anything out. But it's also nice to be able to create waypoints, tracks, and routes in basecamp and transfer them back and forth between your GPS and computer. The GPS V might be nice and simple, but it's one case where the technology truly is out of date. You don't have to upgrade to the latest and greatest to get what I would consider "basic necessities," paperless caching and a USB connection. But... consider this: Both the Oregon 450 and GPSMap 62s have fallen below $200, and are great budget alternatives if the cost of the Oregon 600 or Montana 600 is holding you back. These were not budget models, but it seems that Garmin is trying to unload stock as their successors take the marketplace.

The Oregon 600 can transfer from a phone via Bluetooth through the Garmin Basecamp Mobile App.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/oregon-600/prod113532.html

Wireless Capable: Bluetooth® and ANT

Now you can wirelessly transfer large files such as photos, geocaches, adventures, routes and Custom Maps between Oregon 600-series devices (or with Garmin Basecamp Mobile). Plus, new technology allows your routes, waypoints and tracks to transfer up to 50 times faster. Oregon is also ANT+ wireless compatible for heart rate, cadence, chirp™ and tempe™ sensors.

The Oregon 600 can transfer from a phone via Bluetooth through the Garmin Basecamp Mobile App.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/oregon-600/prod113532.html

Wireless Capable: Bluetooth® and ANT

Now you can wirelessly transfer large files such as photos, geocaches, adventures, routes and Custom Maps between Oregon 600-series devices (or with Garmin Basecamp Mobile). Plus, new technology allows your routes, waypoints and tracks to transfer up to 50 times faster. Oregon is also ANT+ wireless compatible for heart rate, cadence, chirp™ and tempe™ sensors.

I learn something new about my Oregon 650 every day. The bluetooth with Mobile Basecamp works with other similar units for large files like maps & tracks, but can also use ANT+ to transfer caches to older Garmin units (Oregon 300/450/550, GPSmap 62 series) Not sure if the bluetooth can be used with a phone, haven't seen a Basecamp Mobile app yet.

Edited by Triple Crown

Not sure if the bluetooth can be used with a phone, haven't seen a Basecamp Mobile app yet.

BaseCamp mobile has been out for a while now. http://www8.garmin.com/apps/. Yes it will connect your GPS to your phone and allow you to transfer waypoints and tracks to your myGarmin account's cloud storage and the other way around.

Alot of connectable electronics manufacturers are connecting to iPhone because the development is easier to ensure compatibility for a handful of models than for the thousands of android models out there. I wouldn't hold my breath on an Android BaseCamp mobile for that reason. At least not for a while.

Not sure if the bluetooth can be used with a phone, haven't seen a Basecamp Mobile app yet.

BaseCamp mobile has been out for a while now. http://www8.garmin.com/apps/. Yes it will connect your GPS to your phone and allow you to transfer waypoints and tracks to your myGarmin account's cloud storage and the other way around.

Alot of connectable electronics manufacturers are connecting to iPhone because the development is easier to ensure compatibility for a handful of models than for the thousands of android models out there. I wouldn't hold my breath on an Android BaseCamp mobile for that reason. At least not for a while.

Ah, no wonder. I see the app is not available yet for my Android phone. Lots of other Garmin apps are, so maybe in the future...

Edited by Triple Crown

I was a little disappointed that basecamp mobile does not support transfers of gpx files. Right now, I can export a gpx file from my caching app and transfer it to the sd card on the unit through a third party wifi reader, but it would have been even handier to be able to do this through bluetooth and not have to pull the card out when in the field or traveling without a laptop.

I was a little disappointed that basecamp mobile does not support transfers of gpx files. Right now, I can export a gpx file from my caching app and transfer it to the sd card on the unit through a third party wifi reader, but it would have been even handier to be able to do this through bluetooth and not have to pull the card out when in the field or traveling without a laptop.

Is this still true today? I'm interested in buying the Garmin 64s and transfer GPX files to my iPad, but I'll save my money and buy the Garmin 64 if bluetooth can't be used to transfer GPX files to the iPad.

Is this still true today? I'm interested in buying the Garmin 64s and transfer GPX files to my iPad, but I'll save my money and buy the Garmin 64 if bluetooth can't be used to transfer GPX files to the iPad.

You are asking for GPX file from GPS to device, which is opposite what everyone is talking about. everyone is ONLY discussing DOWNLOADS, not UPLOADS. What specific data are you trying to transfer? I ask, because I believe tracklogs do transfer up to Basecamp Mobile.

Thanks, either way it's easier than manually entering coords into my GPS V! Still undecided between the two units, or if I even need/want a new one at all. I really like the simple interface on my old one. It may sound silly but I think a lot of the newer devices have kind of a cartoony looking interface, though not as bad as most vehicle navigation units.

You should also consider the Garmin GPSMAP 64s.