Which GPS to Buy

We are looking at buying a hand help GPS, we are still relatively new to Geo Caching and are currently using my iPhone which is not to bad but doesn't like being dropped (like the first time I let daughter #2 use the phone to find the Cache) so something kid resistant is a big consideration, something easy to use as I do not get along very well with technology, we are in Australia, we have Mac computers. I have been looking at the Magellan GC or 310, we are not looking at a big $ device just something basic.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

I am in the same boat, I have only been using my iPhone, but if I ever go to national parks I am stuck. So I was actually looking at the Garmin 62 considering the price should be dropping now that the Garmin 64 is coming out. Its a bit more than I want to spend but honestly looking at any GPS unit, there is always something someone does not like about it.

I am in the same boat, I have only been using my iPhone, but if I ever go to national parks I am stuck. So I was actually looking at the Garmin 62 considering the price should be dropping now that the Garmin 64 is coming out.

Although it us certainly possible to cache in national parks with an iphone - in fact if I am doing virtuals and earthcaches in parks, I prefer it over my handheld - the phone and a dedicated gpsr can also make a great combination. But if you ask any number of us, you will get a lot of different answers about what gpsr might be the best. Some people consider tri-axial compasses to be essential, others do not. Some like touch screens, others prefer buttons. I like map displays that are easy to read, it's not as important to others.

Almost every gpsr these days will get you to the cache. With your iphone, you have added flexibility for paperless caching, offline trail mapping, filtering pocket queries, and other functions - so perhaps you don't need all the bells and whistles in your gpsr. Ideally, if you have access to a store that offers different units, you could get a feel for what you like.

I have seen some good buys on the 62 line, older Oregons, and the newer etrexes. Either myself or my friends have used these units and found caches with them. I have not used Magellans since the old Meridians and explorists, but I found hundreds of caches with them as well. I distrust anyone who gets too dogmatic about tech gear. So take what your hear for what it's worth,

Either of the two devices you mentioned would do a fine job for Geocaching. When it comes to GPS devices, a $600 unit won't do a better job of "finding" caches than a $200 one....the price difference comes down to features, and how many bells and whistles you want to pay for.

Garmin, Magellan, Delorme, and Lowrance are some of the more popular brands of handhelds out there. They each have their fans and detractors. But millions of Geocaches have been found with all of them.

If you have a chance to go to a local outdoors store or outfitter, that has a selection for you to get some hands on time, I'd do that. Or, if you're not in too big a hurry, attend a local Geocaching event. You'll not only get to meet some of the local cachers in your area, but I'm sure they'd be happy to let you check out their rigs and see what you like. A lot of times preference comes down to interface type....buttons, joystick, or touch screen....after that it's all about what features you want.

I am in the same boat, I have only been using my iPhone, but if I ever go to national parks I am stuck. So I was actually looking at the Garmin 62 considering the price should be dropping now that the Garmin 64 is coming out. Its a bit more than I want to spend but honestly looking at any GPS unit, there is always something someone does not like about it.

I've used most of what is out there and like the 62S best......they have sold for $199 not long ago.