Hikes

TotemLake

Taken from Kathy McCormack's FB event:

Let's take a caching hike in Lord Hill Park! Lord Hill is between Monroe and Snohomish and easily accessible from Rts 2, 9, and 522. We'll hike from the top of the hill to the bottom--how easy is that!

Meet at the north parking area (N 47° 51.680 W 122° 03.550) for a 9:00 a.m. start. (If you live nearby and would be willing to help with the car shuttle, let me ( Kathy McCormack) know.

Kids and leashed dogs are welcome. New cachers/new hikers are especially welcome.

Here's a link to the park page, including a map: http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Parks/Park_Information/Park_Directory/Regional_Parks/Lord_Hill.htm

Trails in the park are also available on Northwest Trails:

http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/

Let's take a caching hike in Lord Hill Park! Lord Hill is between Monroe and Snohomish and easily accessible from Rts 2, 9, and 522. We'll hike from the top of the hill to the bottom--how easy is that!

Meet at the north parking area (N 47° 51.680 W 122° 03.550) for a 9:00 a.m. start. (If you live nearby and would be willing to help with the car shuttle, let me ( Kathy McCormack) know.

Kids and leashed dogs are welcome. New cachers/new hikers are especially welcome.

Here's a link to the park page, including a map: http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Parks/Park_Information/Park_Directory/Regional_Parks/Lord_Hill.htm

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a date? Or do I need to visit the FB page for it?

You're right, Abby--The date is on the FB page, but not here :(.

We're going this Monday (MLK Day--many of us do not have to work), January 19 and hoping to get 20+ caches and have a pleasant walk with good company. This won't be a hard hike, and kids and leashed dogs are welcome, too.

PSSST... Might want to check the date, I am really sure you meant Monday Jan 20 not the 19th.

You're right, Abby--The date is on the FB page, but not here :(.

We're going this Monday (MLK Day--many of us do not have to work), January 19 and hoping to get 20+ caches and have a pleasant walk with good company. This won't be a hard hike, and kids and leashed dogs are welcome, too.

PSSST... Might want to check the date, I am really sure you meant Monday Jan 20 not the 19th.

We're going this Monday (MLK Day--many of us do not have to work), January 20 and hoping to get 20+ caches and have a pleasant walk with good company. This won't be a hard hike, and kids and leashed dogs are welcome, too.

Thanks, Andrew! This is why i usually do not write the date in cache logs . . .

Monday, January 20:

Here's a link to the park page, including a map: http://www1.co.snoho...s/Lord_Hill.htm

If you're planning on going, please post here or on the FB page by 9 a.m. Sunday, January 19.

(We need a bit of time to plan a car shuttle from the end of the hike back to the park entrance.)

Thanks!

You may run into me, although I'm starting later, but I'm doing fewer caches. If I find you later on, maybe I can bum a ride back to the start to save a few miles of return walking. B)

Never mind. I have a sick foster kitten and have to make an emergency vet visit on Monday. Bummer on both counts.

Edited by hydnsek

Thanks to alnilam, gsbarnes (+ Omar and Emmett), Jester, mizdirection, obarshay (+Dina and Max), PNWBrat, Totem Lake, and W1 of TheWinterTrio (+ Bonnie) for coming. We had a great hike--a bit muddy underfoot, but no rain, no DNFs, and sunshine for the second half of the hike! Stay tuned for more hikes--or (please) plan one yourself! Abby, I'm surry you couldn't come and hope that your sick kitten is doing better.

Thanks to alnilam, gsbarnes (+ Omar and Emmett), Jester, mizdirection, obarshay (+Dina and Max), PNWBrat, Totem Lake, and W1 of TheWinterTrio (+ Bonnie) for coming. We had a great hike--a bit muddy underfoot, but no rain, no DNFs, and sunshine for the second half of the hike! Stay tuned for more hikes--or (please) plan one yourself! Abby, I'm surry you couldn't come and hope that your sick kitten is doing better.

Glad to hear it went so well, and thanks for organizing this and other hikes. Once I retire from my current job, I hope to resurrect the AHOTM that I used to do (altho maybe now it will just be HOTM). Can't believe it's been four years!

The foster kitten has more issues than expected, so had to stay with the vets. :(

Glad to hear it went so well, and thanks for organizing this and other hikes. Once I retire from my current job, I hope to resurrect the AHOTM that I used to do (altho maybe now it will just be HOTM). Can't believe it's been four years!

The foster kitten has more issues than expected, so had to stay with the vets. :(

I'm sorry you missed out on the nice hike. And that the kitten is at the vet, I hope it's healthy and back home soon.

I'm planning to hike the Boulder River Trail this Sunday (January 26). If you're interested, meet me in the parking lot (N 48° 15.377 W 121° 47.439) at 8:30 a.m. As far as I know (and things can change), there is no/little snow on the trail--just mud and blowdowns.

About 8.5 miles RT, 800 ' elevation gain-- more if we visit the French Point Lookout,

Questions? Check out these links:

http://www.snohomish...web1updated.pdf

http://www.hikingwit...r-trail-734.htm

http://www.wta.org/g...s/boulder-river

Driving Directions:

Take exit 208 off of I-5 and drive 4 miles east on State Route 530 to Arlington, and then continue east on SR 530 for 20 more miles. At milepost 41, near a subdivision, turn right onto Forest Road 2010 (French Creek Road) and continue for 3.7 miles to the trailhead (elev. 950 ft). Privy available at the Washington State Department of Natural Resources campground 2.8 miles east.

Hope the kitten is doing better, and I'd love to see the (A)HOTM return!

Hopefully Harriet will allow you to replace the Boulder Falls cache?

http://www.geocachin...8_boulder-falls

There are two missing caches along that route--that one and Stumped at Boulder Falls, and I hope both COs will allow us to replace them--or will come with us!

I heard the other CO might be moving. Maybe he will allow you to adopt it?

Who knows? I would replace and adopt it if that was okay with him. I've emailed both COs, so we'll see.

What a beautiful day to be out hiking! Totem Lake, LandRover, and I had a great hike on the Boulder River Trail. We were the only ones in the parking lot when we left, and we had no company on our way out to the end of the trail, but we met many, many people and dogs on the return leg. Not only was the parking lot full, but people had parked w-a-a-a-y back down the road.

The length and (minimal) elevation gain would place this hike in the upper range of "easy," but there was quite a bit of blow-down after the first mile or so, and a couple of places where a bridge would have been nice. Still, the waterfalls, the river, and the big old trees were outstanding. I'm looking forward to another trip when Lizzy is able to come and also to a trip to get the French Point Lookout cache.

Thanks, TL and LR!

I'm going to hike up to Mowich Lake on Saturday March 22nd. I'm going to park as close to the park gate as I can get and set off up the road from there. I will be bringing snow shoes and hope to be able to use them at some point along the hike. It's about 5 miles of road walk from the MRNP gate to the lake. I plan on being at the parking area (N46 55.623 W121 54.943) by 0800 and hitting the trail by 0830.

Jan/2014 WTA Trip Report

I'm going to hike up to Mowich Lake on Saturday FEBRUARY 22nd. I'm going to park as close to the park gate as I can get and set off up the road from there. I will be bringing snow shoes and hope to be able to use them at some point along the hike. It's about 5 miles of road walk from the MRNP gate to the lake. I plan on being at the parking area (N46 55.623 W121 54.943) by 0800 and hitting the trail by 0830.

Jan/2014 WTA Trip Report

Opps that's FEBRUARY 22nd

Edited by LandRover

I'm going to hike up to Mowich Lake on Saturday FEBRUARY 22nd. I'm going to park as close to the park gate as I can get and set off up the road from there. I will be bringing snow shoes and hope to be able to use them at some point along the hike. It's about 5 miles of road walk from the MRNP gate to the lake. I plan on being at the parking area (N46 55.623 W121 54.943) by 0800 and hitting the trail by 0830.

Jan/2014 WTA Trip Report

Opps that's FEBRUARY 22nd

Given that it was snowing at my house this morning I hope you got to use those snowshoes. I had to work :(

I was only able to get within 5 miles of the park entrance. I was plowing snow for about the last 1/2 mile before I decided on plan B, Carbon River. First mile was snow free and snow the rest of the way to the patrol cabin @ Ipsut Creek. The snow was about 12" deep for the last 3/4 of a mile and I was breaking trail that last 3/4 of a mile. I had a nice hot lunch under the patrol cabin awning then made my way back, no snow shoes required so I'm glad I left them in the Land Rover.

I'm planning on camping at or near the Red Bridge on Mountain Loop highway on Thursday evening. I may have some noise makers with me. I'll either camp at a campsite near the bridge, or make a right turn just before the bridge and hike an abandoned jeep road. I'll be leaving Seattle for Granite Falls at Noon. PM me if you're interested. I may even host an excursion to my new cache in the area.

Thinking about hiking up to Granite Mountain Lookout sometime next week, anyone interested in joining me? I've got next week off so my schedule is pretty flexible.

Skipping Granite Mountain. I decided to do a 17 mile hike and bike from Frying Pan Creek to Sunrise & back @ MRNP today.

Some time Friday morning we are headed up to the Masonic Campground on Mountain Loop Highway for the weekend. Planning a hike for Saturday, not sure where yet but someplace up there.