What is your opinion of hydrocaches?

vicekitty

Recently, I received an email from a local geocacher who told me that other geocachers have called me mean-spirited for only putting out hydrocaches. He said that because the vast majority of geocachers don't have a boat, it would appear as though I am only putting out hydrocaches because I know that many can't get to them. He also mentioned that there are geocachers that are big on finding all geocaches within a certain proximity, so it would definitely slight them.

I can tell you that is not the case at all, I just put hydrocaches out because I love being on the water.

I also plan on doing a hydrocacher meetup event, that will only be 100m away from shore, and I was also told doing so would slight non-hydrocachers because it would be so close to shore and that I would definitely look like a jerk because I could simply row to shore and let people without boats attend and log. I think that defeats the purpose of the event itself.

But anyway, I would just like to know other views on hydrocaches, as well as the event I mentioned. Specifically, from the perspective of those who do not own a boat.

Edited by vicekitty

I don't own a boat.

I don't snorkel or SCUBA. I also don't climb mountains or rappel down cliffs. And it's been years since I've climbed a tree.

I'm perfectly OK with caches that are not accessible to me. Those local geocachers sound like they want everything a terrain 1.5 or lower. Tough cookies for those who cannot find all the local caches. This isn't a game that caters to the lowest common denominator.

[Minor edit to change grammar]

Edited by TriciaG

Recently, I received an email from a local geocacher who told me that other geocachers have called me mean-spirited for only putting out hydrocaches. He said that because the vast majority of geocachers don't have a boat, it would appear as though I am only putting out hydrocaches because I know that many can't get to them. He also mentioned that there are geocachers that are big on finding all geocaches within a certain proximity, so it would definitely slight them.

I can tell you that is not the case at all, I just put hydrocaches out because I love being on the water.

There will always be someone to complain about something.

Boats, canoes and kayaks can all be rented. Groups can get together to search for the caches, perhaps with one or two of them already owning boats or canoes or kayaks.

I don't see a problem with putting out the caches that you enjoy and can maintain.

I also plan on doing a hydrocacher meetup event, that will only be 100m away from shore, and I was also told doing so would slight non-hydrocachers because it would be so close to shore and that I would definitely look like a jerk because I could simply row to shore and let people without boats attend and log. I think that defeats the purpose of the event itself.

You might want to run this idea past your Reviewer. There has been discussion here on the forums about how to rate events that require travelling on water to get to the event.

The Guidelines for logging an "attended" for events state "An event cache can be logged online if the cacher has attended the event. Event cache owners can request that cachers sign a logbook, but this is optional and cannot be a requirement for logging an event cache."

100 metres offshore would require a boat, canoe or kayak around here. If people didn't get to where the event happens, then they shouldn't be logging it as "attended", but who knows what people will do and feel justified in doing it.

But anyway, I would just like to know other views on hydrocaches, as well as the event I mentioned. Specifically, from the perspective of those who do not own a boat.

We have access to both a motor boat and a canoe, so it's not a biggie. Rated appropriately, there's no need for folks to complain.

Forgot to say that we enjoy searching for caches that require boats or canoes.

We don't do tree-climbing or rappelling caches. But we don't call owners of those caches "jerks" just because those types are beyond our capabilities.

As for the whining about wanting to find every cache in a certain area...boo hoo.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I love finding caches that require some sort of water craft. And I don't even own any kind of boat! I'd love to buy a kayak at some point, but until I do, I just rent the equipment I need to find the caches I want to find. Which also means there are some boating-only caches that I'd love to go find but still haven't had the chance to yet. And that's okay.

Around here in the summer there's usually an on-the-water event at a nearby lake. Though I believe the organizers usually start on land with a picnic/BBQ so that folks without a boat can attend as well, but then it moves onto the lake to paddle around and go after some of the caches on the islands. But I also think it would be totally acceptable to have an on-the-water-only event.

Meh, hide what you like. This guy is a radius slave, which is his problem and not yours.

I would definitely look like a jerk because I could simply row to shore and let people without boats attend and log. I think that defeats the purpose of the event itself.

As I don't know what you think the purpose of the event is, hard to comment.

Unless there's reason to gather 100m off shore, I'd tend to host the event at the boat launch for an hour or so, then the paddlers can paddle and the rest of the folks wander off to do whatever. Meeting and greeting, a gathering of geocachers, is the purpose of events.

That said, high terrain events are pretty common in my area, usually on islands, or places where the boating river access is much easier than the bushwhacking walking access. Attendance is limited to the paddlers, waders, swimmers or those who are willing to walk in the hard way. Sometimes hosts try to coordinate boat rides for attendees.

Does make for small self selected groups.

I love finding caches that require some sort of water craft. And I don't even own any kind of boat! I'd love to buy a kayak at some point, but until I do, I just rent the equipment I need to find the caches I want to find. Which also means there are some boating-only caches that I'd love to go find but still haven't had the chance to yet. And that's okay.

Around here in the summer there's usually an on-the-water event at a nearby lake. Though I believe the organizers usually start on land with a picnic/BBQ so that folks without a boat can attend as well, but then it moves onto the lake to paddle around and go after some of the caches on the islands. But I also think it would be totally acceptable to have an on-the-water-only event.

I forgot to mention that the event is on land, it is on a tiny tiny island, so I don't think the reviewer should stop it. I really think that if I put out more hydrocaches and do hydrocacher events, that it will inspire more people to get a boat and place more hydrocaches. Something that is really lacking in my area.

Ive done a few hydro caches. i have a little two man inflatable boat in the back with all the other caching equipment 10 pounds on ebay,a shame that even in the caching world there are complainers and some cant even remember a pen to sign the log, so you cant win whatever you do, just go out and enjoy. jeff=bones1.

Meh, hide what you like. This guy is a radius slave, which is his problem and not yours.

I would definitely look like a jerk because I could simply row to shore and let people without boats attend and log. I think that defeats the purpose of the event itself.

As I don't know what you think the purpose of the event is, hard to comment.

Unless there's reason to gather 100m off shore, I'd tend to host the event at the boat launch for an hour or so, then the paddlers can paddle and the rest of the folks wander off to do whatever. Meeting and greeting, a gathering of geocachers, is the purpose of events.

That said, high terrain events are pretty common in my area, usually on islands, or places where the boating river access is much easier than the bushwhacking walking access. Attendance is limited to the paddlers, waders, swimmers or those who are willing to walk in the hard way. Sometimes hosts try to coordinate boat rides for attendees.

Does make for small self selected groups.

The purpose of the event would simply be a hydrocacher meetup, but also at that same time I hope to have a hydrocache trail published that I am working on. But in the future I would simply like to have hydrocacher meetups on the water.

Aren't you the same guy who had problems with someone over your public profile page?

Sounds like there's more to this story to continue with problems with the locals like this.

- Your profile isn't correct anymore BTW, you've done quite a few under four in D/T now. ;)

Just do what you want to do. If no one attends your event or hits your caches, so what? You had fun.

Someone thinks your hides are okay. Most have a fav point.

Aren't you the same guy who had problems with someone over your public profile page?

Sounds like there's more to this story to continue with problems with the locals like this.

- Your profile isn't correct anymore BTW, you've done quite a few under four in D/T now. ;)

Just do what you want to do. If no one attends your event or hits your caches, so what? You had fun.

Actually people have been supportive of my profile page and I haven't gotten any problems. My problem with the profile page was that someone threatened to steal all my caches. This also promoted me to only put out hydrocaches, and I suspect is the reason that none of my hydrocaches have been stolen.

Also, as far as the my finds are concerned I can't help what I have found in the past. Darn I forgot to the asterisk. Also, I will find lower level caches in certain situations. State and foreign countries would be an example, but I am not going to write a whole thing on my profile page with every exception.

Edited by vicekitty

I've hidden about 40 of them. You should be prepared to check on them at least once a year, in the spring perhaps. I would not pay any attention to the land based radius slaves, as kayaks have gotten much cheaper. Dick's had 10' ones on sale for $150 last year. Perhaps you should create a puzzle that is 30' up a tree on an island for the heck of it.

I've hidden about 40 of them. You should be prepared to check on them at least once a year, in the spring perhaps. I would not pay any attention to the land based radius slaves, as kayaks have gotten much cheaper. Dick's had 10' ones on sale for $150 last year. Perhaps you should create a puzzle that is 30' up a tree on an island for the heck of it.

You must be a mind reader because I am planning to do such a cache, it would require climibing gear.

But yeah, some people spend so much money on gas and tolls going after FTFs every month that if they saved that money they could easily buy a boat and gear.

I only spent 80 dollars on my inflatable kayak, oars, and lifejacket. So I always wondered why there are so few hydrocaches given the relatively low expense.

Hydrocaches are all wet. :anibad: It's on my long-term "to do" list to buy a basic kayak that I could throw on or into the SUV for targeted trips. In the meantime, complaining about those unfound hydrocaches in my area is the last thing I'd think of doing.

In each caching community, there should be a healthy mix of hiders with different hiding styles. Someone needs to put out all those "easy grabs just for the numbers." Someone has to invent evil puzzles. Someone needs to hike way out into the woods to hide caches after getting a permit from the State Forest Rangers. And someone needs to hide hydrocaches.

I am too stupid to solve the many cryptic puzzle caches in my area. Each of them has a container that blocks off a 528 foot radius that would otherwise be available for a traditional cache that I would enjoy finding. Do the same people who complain about your hydrocaches also complain about the difficulty 5 puzzles? I would think that they should. After all, it's unlikely that a land-based 1.5/1.5 cache would be blocked by your hydrocache, but the hider of that easy cache could easily be surprised to find out that there's a difficulty 5 puzzle cache whose solution coordinates are for the next lamp post over.

Do the same people who complain about your hydrocaches also complain about the difficulty 5 puzzles? I would think that they should.

Probably not as very often those who do not enjoy to solve puzzles just obtain the coordinates from someone else and then go and visit the container. The same people are typically annoyed if

someone logs a tree climbing cache without having done the climb eben though both situations are equivalent from the point of view that the "found it" logs is not really deserved.

Cezanne

Do the same people who complain about your hydrocaches also complain about the difficulty 5 puzzles? I would think that they should.

Probably not as very often those who do not enjoy to solve puzzles just obtain the coordinates from someone else and then go and visit the container. The same people are typically annoyed if

someone logs a tree climbing cache without having done the climb eben though both situations are equivalent from the point of view that the "found it" logs is not really deserved.

Cezanne

The D5 puzzles always have people who PAF for the solution, and the tree climbing caches have groups that very often have a single person does the climb. With a paddle to there may be a group, but generally everyone is in a boat unless the stream or lake is frozen over.

I love both hiding and finding them. I have held several "on the water" events, and most have been well attended (except the one this past New Year's Eve at midnight - only the diehards showed up!). A group of us are on our way to kayak caching for 12 straight months. We only have Feb & Mar to go! (Note - I am in New England, so we get gold weather months!).

When yo state yo don't like P&G micros, people will jump all over you that there are people that like those kinds of caches, and you should just go after or hide the types you like.

But go ahead and hide caches that you like (and are not accessible by all) and people will give you grief. "You just told me to hide caches I like to do! What the heck?!"

I don't own a floatation device, and I don't particularly like to hunt paddle too caches. But that is mainly because there is so much prep and post work that goes into launching a boat and packing it away again.

But, does that make you mean?

Not at all.

The beauty of geocaching is that there is a little of everything for everyone.

Well, I guess there's a lot more of some things than others, but you know what they say: "Whatever floats your boat"

This is seriously not your problem.

It is not your responsibility, as a cache hider, to enable other people's OCD behavior.

It is not your responsibility, as a cache owner, to put out caches that everyone can reach.

It is your responsibility, as a cache hider, to put out interesting and challenging caches.

Seems to me you are doing a great job.

It is not your responsibility, as a cache hider, to enable other people's OCD behavior.

It is not your responsibility, as a cache owner, to put out caches that everyone can reach.

It is your responsibility, as a cache hider, to put out interesting and challenging caches.

+1

Meh, hide what you like.

This.

Why would you concern yourself with third party complaints? If you assume that the complaint is true, that means that one person whined to another person, who passed the complaint on to you. If the person who started this whining actually had a problem with your hiding style, they should take that up with you, personally. That they are unwilling to do so indicates that, either the complaint was much softer than reported, or it never happened.

Back to your caches. As an avid kayaker, I love hydro caches. Hide more!

I won't, however, give you the same thumbs up for your event.

If you stalk my profile, you'll see that I have hosted a bunch of paddle events. All of them were structured for a purpose, specifically, to let folks experience an awesome river, whilst getting a smilie. The community of kayaking cachers typically comes together to ensure that there are enough boats to go around, for folks who want to attend and don't have their own. I've got three boats, and it is uncommon for them not to be used.

Your event, as described, seems to exist solely to exclude others.

That doesn't seem like a good thing.

Ignore the whiny people. I've run into this before. Do NOT change the way you hide caches because of a bunch of people who think they MUST find every cache. You are under no obligation to provide easy caches for them so they can get their fix. These people need to grow up and realize the world does not revolve around them and their obsession.l

+1

I've heard through the grapevine that some of the local cachers have complained about a few of my caches as well. Seems my harder terrain and, admittedly, goofy puzzle caches are not simple park and grabs which is what the majority of locals want. These are adults we're talking about here. Many of them are good geocaching friends and good people overall but for some reason, think they are entitiled to find every cache placed.

To the OP, hide what you like to find. You won't get as many "found it" logs but i can guarantee you that the majority of logs you do get in will be better reading...

Exactly what everybody else said here. This kind of behavior is so irritating. I've been putting out difficult challenge caches and 5T tree climbs. I get the same riff raff from some of the locals because they're "in my ten mile radius". Screw that, like I care that those caches are hindering your ability to find every cache ever.

Don't listen to the complainers.....keep putting out the fun caches and leave the guard rails and lamp posts at the door. If you want to be spiteful....put out a paddle cache specially dedicated to the cacher that's complaining to you ;-)

As I see it, most new cache placements seem to cater to those seeking easy to get to, easy to find caches and will produce cache find totals averaging 1,000 or more finds a year. If that's the kind of geocaching experience one is looking for there are plenty of caches to be found. If, however, one is looking for a physical or mental challenge it's good to see that there are still a few cache hiders that put the time and energy to create a cache which satisfies those looking such a challenge.

Of course, as someone that owns three kayaks and a canoe I will always welcome more hydrocaches.

I'll just echo what others have said.

Hide the kinds of caches you want to own and maintain for the long term, and don't worry about people who like other kinds of caches. If they want to own and maintain other kinds of caches, then they're free to hide and list them.

Organize the kinds of events you want to organize. If you want to organize a small gathering on an island accessible only by boat, then do that. If others want to organize other kinds of events, then they're free to do so. It would be nice to help landlubbers get access to a boat so they can attend your event, but if you can't (or don't want to) do that, then that's fine too.

I used to work near an area that has a lot of T5 hydrocaches. I found the other caches in the area instead, and figured I'd never find these hydrocaches. (Eventually, I attended an REI geo-kayaking class that allowed me to find several of them, but that's beside the point.) Near my home, there are a couple challenge caches that I don't expect ever to qualify for. I find other caches near my home instead.

If someone can't (or doesn't want to) find a certain cache, then they're free to ignore it. That's what the ignore list is for.

Meh, hide what you like.

This.

Why would you concern yourself with third party complaints? If you assume that the complaint is true, that means that one person whined to another person, who passed the complaint on to you. If the person who started this whining actually had a problem with your hiding style, they should take that up with you, personally. That they are unwilling to do so indicates that, either the complaint was much softer than reported, or it never happened.

If you stalk my profile, you'll see that I have hosted a bunch of paddle events. All of them were structured for a purpose, specifically, to let folks experience an awesome river, whilst getting a smilie. The community of kayaking cachers typically comes together to ensure that there are enough boats to go around, for folks who want to attend and don't have their own. I've got three boats, and it is uncommon for them not to be used.

Thank you for your honesty. My intent really isn't to exclude anyone, but I know it can come off like I am. The event I want to do soon will be to kickoff a hydrocache trail, so it won't just be just a meetup.

However, I did say in the future I would want to do some events that were just meetups. But the way I see it people have 10 minute flash mob events with really no point to them, at least my meetup will be to go paddling.

Thank you, I am trying my best.

I guess people are just going to have to buy a boat, or put it on ignore. However, I hope I won't be seen as "that guy" at local geocaching events.

We've had a few of those. I hosted one on an island and another cacher did it at the same spot a couple of years later. This summer there was one where the meeting point was in the middle of a reservoir, no island at all.

Edited by briansnat

My intent really isn't to exclude anyone, but I know it can come off like I am.

I guess people are just going to have to buy a boat, or put it on ignore. However, I hope I won't be seen as "that guy" at local geocaching events.

Although there's nothing wrong with the other advice you're getting, which is to ignore them, you could also use this as an opportunity for bridge building to overcome some of the issues you're already aware of. For example, you might respond to thank him for his input, make it clear you plan to continue planting hydrocaches, and possibly ask him for advice on how your caches could be done in a way that the rest of the local community would find harmonious. You could even offer to take him with you next time you check on your caches.

Repeat this mantra until you feel better: The game means different things to different people. Do not let others dictate what it should mean to you.

My intent really isn't to exclude anyone, but I know it can come off like I am.

I think, from my perspective, what made it sound so exclusionary was that you plan to host it only a hundred feet, (yards?), from shore. By being so close, those nay-sayers will be able to see your event, but they won't be able to attend it. Sort of a, 'just out of reach' kinda thing. Oddly enough, (due to my admittedly quirky perspective), if you held your event a couple miles from the launch, which would technically exclude even more people, it would have the appearance of not being done just to exclude folks.

Yes. I know. It doesn't make sense. :lol:

If you also only find 'hydrocaches', then I'm on board with you.

I have a canoe, so I could probably attend your event.

If I didn't I would be on shore lobbing burning flares at your boat! :mad:

Holding your event 100M from shore not only makes you look like a jerk, it proves it.

Have your event well away from anywhere a shore-bound cacher could get to, thus making it worthwhile for your hydrocaching compatriots.

We have a local who only lists puzzles, yet he finds all cache types.

It's annoying.

Hydrocaches were all the rage in Western NY this year. Although we don't call them Hydrocaches, must be a regional thing. I'll bet there were darn near 100 of them placed in 2013. Yeah, yeah, everyone got a Canoe or Kayak, and it was Monkey see, Monkey do. :lol: No one that I know of was contacted, and given a hard time.

Per what I'm quoting, I actually do remember you being involved in local drama over wording in your profile. Not saying you're a drama king, maybe there are other drama junkies in your area. Is this like the same person contacting you? :o

If you also only find 'hydrocaches', then I'm on board with you.

I have a canoe, so I could probably attend your event.

If I didn't I would be on shore lobbing burning flares at your boat! :mad:

Holding your event 100M from shore not only makes you look like a jerk, it proves it.

Have your event well away from anywhere a shore-bound cacher could get to, thus making it worthwhile for your hydrocaching compatriots.

We have a local who only lists puzzles, yet he finds all cache types.

It's annoying.

The reason it is 100 meters from shore is that there is a tiny island approximately that distance from the shore, I didn't just pick a random spot.

However, I did say that in the future I would like to have hydrocacher meetups, and given my location they probably will be around that distance from shore island or not. So it does seem that some will be slighted by them, but from what was said on this forum, it appears that those complaints will be from a minority. Anyway, no one is really excluded, they just need a boat to attend.

Also, I don't really see the logic behind the comment about me only finding hydrocaches. If you kind of use that logic in another way, you could say that a geocacher that has not put out any caches at all, should not find any geocache at all.

Hydrocaches were all the rage in Western NY this year. Although we don't call them Hydrocaches, must be a regional thing. I'll bet there were darn near 100 of them placed in 2013. Yeah, yeah, everyone got a Canoe or Kayak, and it was Monkey see, Monkey do. :lol: No one that I know of was contacted, and given a hard time.

Per what I'm quoting, I actually do remember you being involved in local drama over wording in your profile. Not saying you're a drama king, maybe there are other drama junkies in your area. Is this like the same person contacting you? :o

The person who contacted me about the hydrocache issue was one of the more respected geocachers in my area. The incident that happened a few months back was from some random person who sent me an anonymous email threatening to steal all of my geocaches. And as I said early was one of the reasons I only put out hydrocaches.

Meh, hide what you like.

This.

Thank you for your honesty. My intent really isn't to exclude anyone, but I know it can come off like I am. The event I want to do soon will be to kickoff a hydrocache trail, so it won't just be just a meetup.

However, I did say in the future I would want to do some events that were just meetups. But the way I see it people have 10 minute flash mob events with really no point to them, at least my meetup will be to go paddling.

Why not host the event at the launch site on shore? Perhaps have a little bar-b-que or potluck picnic. Those who just want to come for the food and meet and greet can and those who want to go paddling still get to go. Seems like a win-win.

I don't own a boat or kayak but I have no problem with them at all. I think they are great and perhaps one day, I will find one. And trust me, people who are in it just for the numbers aren't going to spend the time and energy to kayak or boat around to collect numbers when it's far easier to just do it by land.

Why don't you invite people along when you do your maintenance visits? It would be a nice gesture and probably alot of fun too.

That's a good idea. If you have an extra boat that you can loan someone, post a note on your hydrocaches and let people know that you're going to do a maintenance visit and offer to take someone along. It would allow someone that doesn't have a boat to find your cache and it would introduce them to paddling. There's a cache not far from me that requires rappelling down a cliff next to a water fall. The CO for the cache frequently posts notes announcing that he's going to visit the cache with an invitation to join him. A handful of cachers at a time join him where provides equipment and instruction to do the rappelling and find the cache. I haven't done it but everyone I know that everyone that has really enjoys it.

Why don't you invite people along when you do your maintenance visits? It would be a nice gesture and probably alot of fun too.

That's a good idea. If you have an extra boat that you can loan someone, post a note on your hydrocaches and let people know that you're going to do a maintenance visit and offer to take someone along. It would allow someone that doesn't have a boat to find your cache and it would introduce them to paddling. There's a cache not far from me that requires rappelling down a cliff next to a water fall. The CO for the cache frequently posts notes announcing that he's going to visit the cache with an invitation to join him. A handful of cachers at a time join him where provides equipment and instruction to do the rappelling and find the cache. I haven't done it but everyone I know that everyone that has really enjoys it.

Not on maintenance visits but, i've taken quite a few people out to grab some of my caches. It's fun for me, and them, to go on a boat ride to see the sights and grab a few caches. There's been quite a few who have not ever experienced a boat ride up the river and into alligator territory, so it's gratifying for me when i see the smiles come across their faces.

This is one of those aspects of geocaching that, wait for it,,,, floats my boat! :lol:

Edited by Mudfrog