New experience while Waymarking

iconions

I had a very unusual encounter yesterday while Waymarking. I have had that encounter with the police while geocaching - that is/was rather uncomfortable. This actually was pretty neat.

I was Waymarking the Excelsior Springs East Historical District in Missouri. I have a system where my wife will tell me which buildings need photographs and will mark them off in a notebook, and I will photograph and mark the building off with the GPS unit. Great exercise and we get to spend time together. As we are in the middle of documenting the district, this SUV pulls up and this lady steps out and approaches us. She states, "I don't want you to think I'm a stalker, but I'm curious as to what you are doing." I give her my name and explain that I am a waymarker and that I am documenting these historic buildings for Waymarking.com. Come to find out, she is a member of the Excelsior Springs Economic Development Division. We talk for awhile, and she seemed very interested in the possibilities of these waymarks. So, I have a contact that actually came to me for once! :) It definitely beat having to explain what I was doing to Excelsior's finest!

BTW - 99 pictures between Liberty and Excelsior Springs - hoping for about 60 waymarks when everything is said and done!

These kinds of encounters are really great. I've had a few, usually involving historic sites. The more unpleasant ones tend to be from commercial sites. Draw your own conclusions.

I still believe the the future growth of Waymarking.com will come as we explore the world beyond Geocaching. Approached in the right way, I think there are others who might be drawn into Waymarking who have no background or interest in Geocaching. We already have a good group so those, like the previous post in this thread. W

Whether this could be leveraged into an income stream is another question, but one that I think is important to explore.