What does the "Winter" attribute mean to you?

fuzzybelly

I love winter caching and I live in an area where there are many months of winter. I don't just mean cold, but there can be a lot of snow, feet worth. Here's an example of one I had a blast on, GC1AWH1. (sorry I don't know how to do a link for ya)

I'm curious what people around the world of geocaching consider winter friendly.

What if you have an unknown cache container size but a winter attribute? What if the snow depth is 4-5 feet deep(like we had here a couple of years ago (really caused caching havoc), would you still search for a winter friendly cache(some still couldn't be found)?

Winter Friendly - as easy to find in the winter as in the summer. If it's going to be buried under a foot or two of snow, it's not winter friendly. If it's going to get iced in or otherwise inaccessible, it's not winter friendly. Basically, if the difficulty level doesn't change during the winter, it's winter friendly.

IMHO.

http://coord.info/GC1AWH1

What I would guess is that the cache is most easily accessible in the winter. In the spring/ summer months, it may be a field of muck....mucky and gross. Also, I'd assume it's up a tree, or something high(er)

Sounds like a good hike -and T2.0 sounds conservative.

Winter-accessible to me means that it can be found under all of the usual conditions of a normal winter in the area.

Winter Friendly - as easy to find in the winter as in the summer. If it's going to be buried under a foot or two of snow, it's not winter friendly. If it's going to get iced in or otherwise inaccessible, it's not winter friendly. Basically, if the difficulty level doesn't change during the winter, it's winter friendly.

IMHO.

Some caches in forests are easier to find in winter (less weeds, bushwhacking, etc.).

http://coord.info/GC1AWH1

What I would guess is that the cache is most easily accessible in the winter. In the spring/ summer months, it may be a field of muck....mucky and gross. Also, I'd assume it's up a tree, or something high(er)

Sounds like a good hike -and T2.0 sounds conservative.

LOL!

That's funny wm, I thought that too. Luckily I knew what I was in for because of the CO :)

IMHO.

Some caches in forests are easier to find in winter (less weeds, bushwhacking, etc.).

Almost allllll caches up here are easier in the winter! No nettles! Less blackberries!

This winter, at least here in Western Canada, it means "wishful thinking". :lol:

I almost found one today...

This winter in Denmark it means: accessible through mud :mad:

This must be the warmest recorded winter in history. Last year the winter attribute meant that you could do high terrain caches by simply walking over the water towards various islands or leave the climbing gear or boat at home when doing a few underbridge caches :P

Mrs. terratin

To me it means that it would be reasonably easy to find with snow on the ground.

I know some argue that the attribute says "Winter accessible" so they take the attribute to mean that the area is accessible in the winter. I think that would make the attribute pointless, because everywhere is accessible in the winter if you have the proper equipment. The only exception would be areas that are officially off limits in the winter and those are extremely rare; so rare that creating an attribute just for them would be waste of pixels. Besides, if the area is officially off limits, then disabling the cache would be the better avenue.

Edited by briansnat

For me (and probably for many cachers in areas where winter with snow is the norm), if the cache description shows a large container, and it has a winter accessible attribute with it, AND there's 3 feet of snow outside. It's probably is an ammo can buried in the snow under some log or tree root.

In that case I'm bringing my walking stick for probing and my snowshoes, or a small shovel, for digging. There really is no more beautiful sound than the deep "bonk, bonk" of an ammo can being struck with a walking stick :) and no greater feeling after digging it out to get that smiley :)

Then there's the small container That is well hidden in the branches of a snow covered pine. Better have your neck covered so snow don't find it :) but still sounds fun.

The winter attribute is so important here. For 5-6 months of the year you rarely even search for caches that don't have that attribute.

I love winter caching and I live in an area where there are many months of winter. I don't just mean cold, but there can be a lot of snow, feet worth. Here's an example of one I had a blast on, GC1AWH1. (sorry I don't know how to do a link for ya)

I'm curious what people around the world of geocaching consider winter friendly.

What if you have an unknown cache container size but a winter attribute? What if the snow depth is 4-5 feet deep(like we had here a couple of years ago (really caused caching havoc), would you still search for a winter friendly cache(some still couldn't be found)?

The attribute is 'available in winter', should mean that it can be located and retrieved during normal local winter conditions. Exceptional weather could change that.

BTW Read this topic! for how to information.. and an update to that.

Doug 7rxc going to shovel some more 'camouflage'... darn.

For me, it means that under normal winter conditions the cache will be above the snow or in a location that is still visible/accessible in the snow. That may be hung in a tree, in a root ball or stump that sticks up or at least creates an obvious hump in the snow, etc. It may mean at ground level in an area that is sheltered and doesn't see much accumulation. To me, if it's under a log that's buried by 4 feet of snow such that the ground profile is flat and I can't even tell there's a log there...it doesn't deserve the snowflake. I may go search for it anyway, but I would expect to be digging for it.

I remember seeing that thread, but didn't remember where it was. Thank you 7 :)

Lets see, is this right? GC1AWH1

Looks good! But I'm sure from your 2nd post you know that...

One thing... A personal opinion as a basic member... I'd love to see a PMOC or similar after the GC#.

Saves me a click or two (not a disaster) since I've seen the promo page a lot by clicking these..

IF I got wind of the location and wanted to hunt it I can, would and have hunted PMOCs... that isn't the problem.

Just the wasted time.

Doug 7rxc

I believe to the majority of the Geocachers, Winter Friendly means the cache is accessible in the winter without the aid of special equipment and not located on the ground where it could be covered with snow. Caches in urban areas, small parks, and areas with mild winters come to mind.

That said, Winter Friendly in parts of the country, like where you are in Alaska, or where I am in the Colorado Rockies, takes on a new meaning. Snowshoes, skis, and 4 wheel drive vehicles are normal, not 'special' equipment!

I lived in Michigan for years and some caches were High Terrain rated because you needed a boat to reach them. However, these caches were Winter Friendly because all you had to do was walk across the frozen inland lake or river to reach them, no boat required! Of course I am speaking of inland lakes, not a Great Lake, and the caches had the proper 'make sure the ice is thick enough to walk on' disclaimer.

I believe to the majority of the Geocachers, Winter Friendly means the cache is accessible in the winter without the aid of special equipment and not located on the ground where it could be covered with snow.

"Not located on the ground" is, to me, the critical criteria for a cache that is "available in winter". I also think that the attribute is really only relevant in places that have "real" seasons.

In Canada we will always have snow. The cache should be able to survive the snow, so to me it would mean easy to find. Like a 1/1. I won't even look for caches that are not ammo can or bigger in the snow.

This winter, at least here in Western Canada, it means "wishful thinking". :lol:

I almost found one today...

I know that feeling. I was in your area last February. Had hundreds of caches in my GPS, only found the one at Lee valley. I couldn't even find a TB hotel.

I believe to the majority of the Geocachers, Winter Friendly means the cache is accessible in the winter without the aid of special equipment and not located on the ground where it could be covered with snow.

"Not located on the ground" is, to me, the critical criteria for a cache that is "available in winter". I also think that the attribute is really only relevant in places that have "real" seasons.

This is what I was looking for. Good job Paddle and Golfer. The differences of geocaching around the world is amazing to me, and just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks everyone :)

To me, even if the cache is on the ground and it's a large container with a few feet of snow on the ground, that tells me it's an ammo can that can be probed for with a stick. I would consider this winter friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to put a "winter accessible" attribute on it.

Although todays probing for the can didn't work :) I'll probably try again this season.

Yesterdays winter caching outing was fun though(as if todays wasn't, ya right) GCV6Z5 Lily and I had a great time in our winter wonderland. And a few photos so you can see the season here in Anchorage, Alaska, in a nice local park.

Fuzz, one of the things I came to expect in Minnesota, and now here in AK is that a "Winter-friendly" attribute would mean that I could find that cache without the walking stick and shovel. You know what I mean?

That might mean in a tree, or up out of the normal level of snow cover, but it really means to me that I should be able to find it without having to chip it out of ice, or dig deep in snow to find it.

A bit of a dream idea here in AK in most places, but still a helpful attribute for those who still want to find a cache or two in the winter months.

I see what you mean Summer.

Maybe the ammo can on the ground doesn't deserve a winter attribute. But if it where an ammo can without a winter attribute, I still would go for it in the winter.

But today I failed so that shows you my thinking :)

Well, if that ammo can is in a place that might see some snow, but not the entire winter's accumulation, it might still be able to be found in the winter.

I don't think it's so much a black and white attribute, but the amount of white stuff should be considered when assigning attributes to the cache listing.

To me, even if the cache is on the ground and it's a large container with a few feet of snow on the ground, that tells me it's an ammo can that can be probed for with a stick. I would consider this winter friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to put a "winter accessible" attribute on it.

In my area, if you have to poke and prod, it's not Winter accessible at all.

If the cache is on the ground and not up off the ground or under a ledge (or similar) above the "average" snowline, it isn't accessible.

We're lucky to have quite a few ammo cans squirreled away. Many aren't.

Large doesn't always mean ammo can. Most here use lock n locks.

"Ooops! I thought it was a... sorry, NM".

For me, it means that under normal winter conditions the cache will be above the snow or in a location that is still visible/accessible in the snow. That may be hung in a tree, in a root ball or stump that sticks up or at least creates an obvious hump in the snow, etc. It may mean at ground level in an area that is sheltered and doesn't see much accumulation. To me, if it's under a log that's buried by 4 feet of snow such that the ground profile is flat and I can't even tell there's a log there...it doesn't deserve the snowflake. I may go search for it anyway, but I would expect to be digging for it.

Yes, but it beats probing for cachers who neglect avalanche warnings, now doesn't it?

Doug 7rxc

To me it means that it would be reasonably easy to find with snow on the ground.

I know some argue that the attribute says "Winter accessible" so they take the attribute to mean that the area is accessible in the winter. I think that would make the attribute pointless, because everywhere is accessible in the winter if you have the proper equipment. The only exception would be areas that are officially off limits in the winter and those are extremely rare; so rare that creating an attribute just for them would be waste of pixels. Besides, if the area is officially off limits, then disabling the cache would be the better avenue.

I agree, so the name shoud be changed.

And there is the "Seasonal Access" attribute, for those locations that may be off limits certain times of the year.

I think it is time to chnage the sname to "Snow Friendly".

I was very frustrated yesterday because I went out of my way to hunt for some caches that had the snowflake and I found myself digging through deep snow trying to find them with no useful hint/sign above snow to assist. Even some flagging in a branch would have been welcome. I gave up after just three caches. Not winter friendly in my books.

It's been fun hearing everyone different perspectives on this question.

Thank you weather, 7, and Ocan. I appreciate the input 3pigs, tails and Rus1. It's always good to hear from paddle, T.D.M., nat, and the pastor. And thank you Todd, tricia, Golfer, summer and ringrat.

I really enjoy chatting with you all.

I do not geocache in the winter. I am a three season geocacher here in Canada. Spring, summer, fall. Forget winter, it is just not going to happen, not me anyway!! Looking forward to spring and getting out again.

As much as it pains me to say it, winter is the season where I like micros. They tend to be hanging from things and above the snow. During the other three seasons I see micros in the woods and think "Why?" but in the winter my perspective changes and I think "At least I might have a chance at finding a cache or two while I'm out." It's not so much the smiley that motivates me as how much I hate searching in deep snow.

I do not geocache in the winter. I am a three season geocacher here in Canada. Spring, summer, fall. Forget winter, it is just not going to happen, not me anyway!! Looking forward to spring and getting out again.

Since when does VI and the Lower Mainland have a winter season? Get out there and cache!

Doug 7rxc

Winter caching isn't easy at all right now here in Anchorage. We got up to 50 degrees yesterday. The snow everywhere is so slushy the snowshoes don't even help, and the trails are all so icy it's a danger to walk on them.

Time to switch from the snowshoes to the shoe grippers :) Gotta be prepared for any season ya know :)