Team Vs. Single Logging Finds

clem1978

My husband and I recently started geocaching. At first we were logging everything under my username/account, but then in reading a book about geochaching (The Joy of Geocaching) I found that lots of people geocache in teams, so we decided to create a team account (There and Cache Again). Now when we go together we log it under the team account, and when I go on my own I log under my personal account. Would it be bad form to log it under both accounts when we find a cache together? For instance, we go out tomorrow together and find a cache. I log it in under the team account, but I want it to count for my personal account too since we don't always cache together. As long as we write both names in the log book, can I log it under both accounts even though I am a "member" of both accounts? I hope that makes sense. So far we have just logged each cache under one account and written one username in the log book. Thanks!

My sister and my cousins have a team name and when we cache together we put the team name. we also put it under our own names. It would take to long to write all our names on the log. being a cache owner I do not have a problem when someone signs the the team member and they log it also under thier own account. Most of the time it has the names of the team are listed on the team member account. hope this helps

I know families that share a single account, and log all caches on that account (whether found by one or by the other or by both).

I know families where everyone has an individual account, and only the members present log a find.

I know families where everyone has an individual account, and they also share a "team" account for the whole family. Sometimes the "team" account is used only for hides. Sometimes it is used to log finds made by the whole group. Sometimes it is used to log finds made by anyone in the group.

There's a lot of flexibility in how you use your account(s).

Personally, I think it would get old to log everything twice, so if my lovely assistant had any interest in being a geocacher, I wouldn't worry about exactly which individuals found what and just use a single account. And I'm guessing that's confirmed by practical experience, since I know a few couples that cache, and they tend to use a single account, some use an account with a team name, the others just use the ID of one of them no matter which of them is actually caching. Some, though, like their own identities, and they log separately. I'm not aware of anyone that does both. But, as niraD says, that's not because of any rule against it, and I don't know anyone that would complain no matter what you do.

My wife and I log everything under her account. We officially made that our "Team" account way back after our first find. With few exceptions, relatively speaking, the vast majority of the smileys we have we have found together. There have been a few I've found without her physically at GZ, and vice versa. For us, it was just easier to manage only one set of logs rather than duplicating the effort.

My boys each have an individual geocoin that we use to track their cache visits. They are not yet old enough to cache on their own. If they are part of the find team their geocoin visits the cache. If not, no coin visit. That way I can only log once, but still they can have a record how many caches they've helped find.

My husband and I recently started geocaching. ...when we go together we log it under the team account, and when I go on my own I log under my personal account. Would it be bad form to log it under both accounts when we find a cache together?...

You are you. You are part of a team. You and the team found the cache. Seems like you and the team should log.

My husband and I have a single account.

When I find caches without him, I still log it under the single account. He'll do the same.... Doesn't happen very often - but rare occasions we'll need to go out on our own to fulfill a goal. I personally don't see a problem with anyone doing that - as long as one of the team has found it.

I have another account for myself, but I haven't used that in 10 years.

It's just sooooo much easier that way. One membership....One profile, one account, one setup in GSAK, one signature, one set of bookmark lists, one ...one...one...

Granted....You gotta use it wisely not 'abuse it'. I've seen 'teams' go out separately in two different areas at the same time and log double the amount of finds they should've (technically) had if they were together. That's just crazy abusing it....I think anyway.

It always bugs me a teensy little bit when families, or even couples, with one account complete calendar year or streak challenges, or get credit for visiting this many states or that many countries, when they get to share the work. I have to make every one of those finds myself. I like to see people who cache have their own account. Team names are fine for actually signing logs, saves paper--but for online logging. I like to see everyone just log their own.

It always bugs me a teensy little bit when families, or even couples, with one account complete calendar year or streak challenges, or get credit for visiting this many states or that many countries, when they get to share the work. I have to make every one of those finds myself. I like to see people who cache have their own account. Team names are fine for actually signing logs, saves paper--but for online logging. I like to see everyone just log their own.

Luckily it's just a teensy bit, as one account is quite popular. :)

My other 2/3rds has a separate account just for the coins she's accumulated over the years, but like many, we share one.

It always bugs me a teensy little bit when families, or even couples, with one account complete calendar year or streak challenges, or get credit for visiting this many states or that many countries, when they get to share the work. I have to make every one of those finds myself.

Here's an easy way for this not to be a problem: just assume that every single one of those team accounts only logs finds when everyone's there. It doesn't matter if it's actually true in 100% of the cases: as long you assume it is, you can stop being worried about it.

The fact is, I doubt many teams at all do enough split logging to make a significant difference in how difficult challenges are. The people I know that use a team account use it because it's very rare for one to be caching without the other, and even rarer for them to be caching independently.

My daughter and I share a account. I have been there for all of them except for one time I got a text to log a find she found with a friend at a camping thing. I thought that was cool and she signed it. That has been the only time. Log it how you want. As a CO I wouldn't mind one bit if you did that.

My husband and I recently started geocaching. At first we were logging everything under my username/account, but then in reading a book about geochaching (The Joy of Geocaching) I found that lots of people geocache in teams, so we decided to create a team account (There and Cache Again). Now when we go together we log it under the team account, and when I go on my own I log under my personal account. Would it be bad form to log it under both accounts when we find a cache together? For instance, we go out tomorrow together and find a cache. I log it in under the team account, but I want it to count for my personal account too since we don't always cache together. As long as we write both names in the log book, can I log it under both accounts even though I am a "member" of both accounts? I hope that makes sense. So far we have just logged each cache under one account and written one username in the log book. Thanks!

Let's just go with what you are doing is perfectly fine. Have fun and keep on caching!

I'll admit....I'm one of those ones who have logged a lot of days to fill the calendar - and I did a lot of them without my husband.

If we didn't do it that way - it would be another 20 years when we're retired before we could ever fill the calendar. The logistics of work schedules just don't allow it any other way.

If I had to wait that long to fill the calendar (or any other goals), I'd probably leave the hobby all together....

My husband and I have a single account.

When I find caches without him, I still log it under the single account. He'll do the same.... Doesn't happen very often - but rare occasions we'll need to go out on our own to fulfill a goal. I personally don't see a problem with anyone doing that - as long as one of the team has found it.

I have another account for myself, but I haven't used that in 10 years.

It's just sooooo much easier that way. One membership....One profile, one account, one setup in GSAK, one signature, one set of bookmark lists, one ...one...one...

Granted....You gotta use it wisely not 'abuse it'. I've seen 'teams' go out separately in two different areas at the same time and log double the amount of finds they should've (technically) had if they were together. That's just crazy abusing it....I think anyway.

This is basically what we do....BAMBOOZLE is actually TEAM BAMBOOZLE, me and my wife. I do 100 % of the hiding and we have found probably 99.9% of our finds together. There have been times when my wife visits family I will go out with local cachers and grab a hat full.

Hello together!

It's good to read all this as it already explains a lot.

I'd like to add my current thought/issue and request your "feelings" on it as I am quite unsure.

We started of geocaching as a family (rosiloki) and still like to continue this way. Due to quite some business travel and such I had the chance to seek and log quite an amount of logs on my own and did so under our family account.

Now that this seems to continue I am thinking of logging "my own" finds separately (under this account), so far, easy...

Apart from the work involved I am wondering whether I "copy" "my finds" under the family account to my personal one (by adding a late find entry in the cache log). That would allow me to see "my" picture but then it looks a bit sneaky, or doesn't it? Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ron

dl2ndw, member of rosiloki

Apart from the work involved I am wondering whether I "copy" "my finds" under the family account to my personal one (by adding a late find entry in the cache log). That would allow me to see "my" picture but then it looks a bit sneaky, or doesn't it? Any thoughts?
You wouldn't be the first person to create an individual account and then retroactively log finds that had previously been logged under a group account. You won't be the last. Just make it clear what is going on when you log the finds under your individual account.

It will be more clear what's going on if you log the retroactive logs with the date of the original log.

You can copy them if you want. People do that; no one minds. Just be sure to use the date you actually found it on your new, duplicate log entries.

But I wouldn't bother. You've logged them on the team account, so why bother to log them on your personal account? If you want to find them again, find them again. If you don't, ignore 'em.

Although one thing to consider is whether the team is really any different than you and whoever's with you. If the team doesn't really go out without you, then just use the team account even when you're just a team of one.

It always bugs me a teensy little bit when families, or even couples, with one account complete calendar year or streak challenges, or get credit for visiting this many states or that many countries, when they get to share the work. I have to make every one of those finds myself.

Here's an easy way for this not to be a problem: just assume that every single one of those team accounts only logs finds when everyone's there. It doesn't matter if it's actually true in 100% of the cases: as long you assume it is, you can stop being worried about it.

The fact is, I doubt many teams at all do enough split logging to make a significant difference in how difficult challenges are. The people I know that use a team account use it because it's very rare for one to be caching without the other, and even rarer for them to be caching independently.

That's what we do! My husband and I cache as a team, and I always assume that other families/teams cache together as we do. Ninety eight percent of the time, our geocaching is a combined effort. We are working on our 366 days in a row streak (211 so far) and usually go out for a cache after we finish dinner. There have been a few exceptions due to work, illness, etc...when one or the other of us has gone it alone, but that is the exception, not the rule. My hope is that everyone else does the same. :) (and if they don't, I'll just pretend they do) :laughing: