Cache adoption

"Realistic" and "extended" certainly makes me think that your ideal of "once it's lived long enough and the residents in the area have found it, and the find rates slow down it should go away so that there can be new ones close to me that I can find so that I can add more finds without having to expand my search radius from my couch..." just isn't going to play out the way you want it to.

Here's my perspective.

I don't have the luxury of travelling far and wide. I mostly do in-town caches, occasionally do day trips, and rarely get out further then a couple of hundred kilometers. So I enjoy and appreciate re-visiting nice local places every 2-3 years for a new cache. In saturated locations, there isn't much left to find when parks/trails/landmarks fill up with old caches.

We have been hiding caches since 2002. Planted some of the first caches in our town. They were well received. We were hesitant to archive at first, but it was getting tiresome going to the same landmark or trail multiple times over 6+ years. We worried that someone might plant a crappy cache at the nice locations but finally we did it. And every time we archive, some very decent caches have been placed. So fortunately, in our case, everybody wins - some keen responsible cache owners got to place caches in nice locations, cachers got to re-visit these areas +/-5 years later to enjoy the trail/park/landmark again and have fun finding new and different cache hides. Should old caches go away, no not necessarily, but every few years one might consider whether it's time to open the area for a new hide, especially if the location has been saturated for awhile with no new caching opportunities in 3+ years.

Right. The big difference here is that you're talking about archiving your own caches, versus wishing that someone else's caches get archived to make more room for you to make another find closer to home.

I now can't find any cache within 15 miles of my house without chartering or buying a boat. I also can't find a cache on the road system without a minimum 60 mile one-way trip. It's the reality I live in with one other active cacher in my town. Now, if I wanted to archive some of my own caches in town so that the other cacher could have the radius space to place one of their own for me (and others) to find, that's my perogitive. If I want everyone in town to archive their caches that I have found so someone will place more caches so that I can have new ones close to home, that's a bit of a misguided mindset.

So, to address the post against the OP, I'm simply saying that directing people away from the adoption option simply because you want those caches to go away so you can have more caches placed near your home for you to find is not the direction I'd take the issue. If a cache can be adopted, or even adopted and revived to a good state of affairs (take over a nice spot that has a derelict cache and inactive owner), why wouldn't you want that? If it is so that the area could be opened up for a new cache to add another number to your find count, so be it. Adopt that cache, let it live for a while, and then archive it if you like. Nobody can stop you and how you decide to handle the cache listings you own, so long as it is within the guidelines.

But, if a cache is "under the weather", you can help to advance its decline by posting NM and NA logs until it goes away. If the owner of that cache is active enough in the game to be contacted and respond throught their profile, and someone wants to adopt that cache, so be it. But, there are ways to see derelict caches with absent owners to eventually get their plug pulled, making room for new caches in their place.

I'm having a hard time reconciling this:

If I were a cache owner who was no longer interested in caching it would be much simpler to submit my cache(s) for adoption.

...with this:

Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner.

Link for reference:Adopting or Transfering a Geocache

What's to reconcile? The cache owner is the one who must adopt out the cache; it cannot be adopted without them taking the action.

If you are a cache owner who has lost interest in caching, are you now going to have enough 'interest' to list your caches on an adoption list ?

I don't think it will make any difference how easy it is - it ain't gonna happen !

If I were a cache owner who was no longer interested in caching it would be much simpler to submit my cache(s) for adoption.

...with this:

Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner.

What's to reconcile? The cache owner is the one who must adopt out the cache; it cannot be adopted without them taking the action.

If you are a cache owner who has lost interest in caching, are you now going to have enough 'interest' to list your caches on an adoption list ?

I don't think it will make any difference how easy it is - it ain't gonna happen !

Then, if they leave the game, the caches will degrade, folks will post NM logs, and eventual NA logs...and then it goes away! Poof!

...with this:

Of course, that's that's not the only reason a cache might be put up for adoption. Sometimes people move.