US Historical Markers important questions

Hello,

We photograph historic markers and log them our Facebook.com/USHistoricMarkers

We have a question regarding your state's historic markers for future reference. For Michigan we have a website michmarkers.com and we check here secondly if there are any concerns since getting to these are normally cut and dry unless you can't read a map LOL.

Our question though is: We have submitted 55 markers in our state that are still standing and awaiting approval on here because no one else has Posted them. Does your state have a good website like MichMarkers.com or do you visit this site for the locations of the Historic Markers.

If you're wondering about those for Ohio, we just happened to come across those! HAHA!

Thanks!

I'm the founder and manager of the Pennsylvania Historic Markers category, which was the very first historic marker category on Waymarking. We've collected waymarks for more than 1,600 markers across the Keystone state.

The marker program is administered by the Pennsylvania History and Museum Commission. They have a nice website for the markers, including a searchable database.

Our question though is: We have submitted 55 markers in our state that are still standing and awaiting approval on here

My question to you is: Do you mean that you submitted 55 waymarks in one day? That is going to take a while for a reviewer to get through. Something I have had to learn, the hard way. Please be patient, they will get to all of them in due time. I see that 13 were approved today.

I see you are new to the Waymarking community. I know you all ready have the information for these sites, I visited your FB page. I suggest that you only post 5 or so at a time.

Just my two cents worth...

I'm a member of the Virginia Historic Markers Group and have 13 listings in the category. Many of the officers have not signed in for some time and one member that used to review my submissions has quit the group. I already manage a category that I created, and now I would like to step up and be promoted to officer of the group. I think it makes sense that I am a life long resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia and I am an avid history cacher and Waymarker. I just need a little help in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know which one is more accurate for Ohio Historical Markers? This site or the one through Ohio government - http://www.remarkableohio.org/

I honestly don't think the one the state is accurate and the website isn't that easy to use while the category here seems accurate but not sure if all the markers are added here. I've added 60 here in Michigan in various parts of the LP and wouldn't want to miss one that was nearby if I'm driving from Detroit to Findlay.

I rarely miss any because MichMarkers.com is accurate for the most part.

Thanks,

Edited by Historic Markers

The "Remarkable Ohio" site is the official website of the agency that runs Ohio's historic marker program -- The Ohio Historical Society. Their site reports 1453 markers; the Waymarking Category for Ohio Historic Markers has collected 1020 of these.

What inaccuracies are bothering you about the OHS site? The OHS is a supporter of geocaching and would likely be amenable to a partnership program to increase their data integrity using field results reported by waymarkers.

Obviously, the Waymarking site is less complete but the pages are more fun to look at, with their images and coordinates and other details.

The "Remarkable Ohio" site is the official website of the agency that runs Ohio's historic marker program -- The Ohio Historical Society. Their site reports 1453 markers; the Waymarking Category for Ohio Historic Markers has collected 1020 of these.

What inaccuracies are bothering you about the OHS site? The OHS is a supporter of geocaching and would likely be amenable to a partnership program to increase their data integrity using field results reported by waymarkers.

Obviously, the Waymarking site is less complete but the pages are more fun to look at, with their images and coordinates and other details.

Because the coordinates on Remarkable Ohio are off and this site isn't that accurate for a few south of Toledo and between Columbus I've noticed - unless they fixed them.

Thanks for the info though, you're right they do have more info on Waymarking pages. Kind of reversed up here in Michigan, MichMarkers.com basically gives us everything we need, a picture and coordinates. Guess we have it easy up here. :)

Edited by Historic Markers

Because the coordinates on Remarkable Ohio are off and this site isn't that accurate for a few south of Toledo and between Columbus I've noticed - unless they fixed them.

Thanks for the info though, you're right they do have more info on Waymarking pages. Kind of reversed up here in Michigan, MichMarkers.com basically gives us everything we need, a picture and coordinates. Guess we have it easy up here. :)

I have found that occasionally the coordinates for the Remarkable Ohio site are off a little but fairly close and their description of the locations to be very good.

I have found that occasionally the coordinates for the Remarkable Ohio site are off a little but fairly close and their description of the locations to be very good.

What do you know about the one's for Hancock County on Remarkable Ohio, it says the one for Findlay College is east highway 23 and on 1000 Main Street when I know that's in the city of Findlay, right off of 75?

That's why I'm asking so we can find errors like this, what I do when designing a route is verify its location by using Google Maps - Street view.

What do you know about the one's for Hancock County on Remarkable Ohio, it says the one for Findlay College is east highway 23 and on 1000 Main Street when I know that's in the city of Findlay, right off of 75?

That's why I'm asking so we can find errors like this, what I do when designing a route is verify its location by using Google Maps - Street view.

I can't speak to specific counties or markers unless I have actually gone to the marker. If I do a street view I can see there is a marker on the campus just south of Main & George. (about 1030 W Main)

Hello,

We photograph historic markers and log them our Facebook.com/USHistoricMarkers

We have a question regarding your state's historic markers for future reference. For Michigan we have a website michmarkers.com and we check here secondly if there are any concerns since getting to these are normally cut and dry unless you can't read a map LOL.

Our question though is: We have submitted 55 markers in our state that are still standing and awaiting approval on here because no one else has Posted them. Does your state have a good website like MichMarkers.com or do you visit this site for the locations of the Historic Markers.

If you're wondering about those for Ohio, we just happened to come across those! HAHA!

Thanks!

If you have heard of the poi-factory there is a poi file in CSV format for historical markers. I worked with the guy that had the original list and each location has the GPS coordinates.