Only a matter of time before our GPSRs will pick up the Chinese BeiDou signals

ST Microelectronics have announced the development of a new Teseo III chip which will be able to receive and decode the Chinese BeiDou signals as well as GPS, GLONASS, WAAS, EGNOS,and QZSS.

The press release is HERE

They state there will be a version which will be pin-compatible with the Teseo II chip, so enabling fitment into devices originally designed to use the Teseo II - with the necessary firmware revisions.

I don't imagine we'll be seeing a BeiDou compatible Etrex any time soon, but the prospect is certainly interesting...

ST Microelectronics have announced the development of a new Teseo III chip which will be able to receive and decode the Chinese BeiDou signals as well as GPS, GLONASS, WAAS, EGNOS,and QZSS.

The press release is HERE

I sure hope that there will be a way to "turn on and off" each system individually. I hate to have to buy a new GPSr because one of those systems was malfunctioning or intentionally sending bad position data.

They state there will be a version which will be pin-compatible with the Teseo II chip, so enabling fitment into devices originally designed to use the Teseo II - with the necessary firmware revisions.

I'd be surprised if the original chips where installed on IC chip sockets. Even if they were the manufacturers would insist for the upgrades be done by them. I imagine the reason for that line is to let GPSr manufacturers know that no new hardware engineering is required to put the new chip in their production lines. A savings in time and money like this makes moving to the upgraded chip preferable over staying with the current chip or moving to another chip manufacturer.

I don't imagine we'll be seeing a BeiDou compatible Etrex any time soon, but the prospect is certainly interesting...

Why not? It sounds like a great selling point. It probably would only add a couple of dollars to the per product production cost but allow them to increase the per product price by tens of dollars, if not more.

I sure hope that there will be a way to "turn on and off" each system individually. I hate to have to buy a new GPSr because one of those systems was malfunctioning or intentionally sending bad position data.

I'd be surprised if the original chips where installed on IC chip sockets. Even if they were the manufacturers would insist for the upgrades be done by them. I imagine the reason for that line is to let GPSr manufacturers know that no new hardware engineering is required to put the new chip in their production lines. A savings in time and money like this makes moving to the upgraded chip preferable over staying with the current chip or moving to another chip manufacturer.

I suspect it would be possible to turn individual GNSS systems on or off in the software - much as you can turn on or off the GLONASS and WAAS signals in the new eTrex receivers.

No IC sockets involved - I think all the chips used in modern, mass production GPS receivers use surface-mount devices with tiny balls of solder fusing onto pads on the printed circuit board - the term "pin-compatible" is still used, though, as a legacy from the days when chips were commonly packaged that way (some still are).