Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

European Cultural Routes by the Council of Europe

9 posts in this topic

I'm dealing with a new category idea: European Cultural Routes

The Council of Europe has elected actually 29 cultural routes since 1987. (Maybe more to come)

They all have a different focus on European history.

Official Homepage of the European Institute of the Cultural Routes.

Wikipedia entry

List of the 29 Cultural Routes of the Council of Europe :

1- Saint Martin of Tours, European figure, symbol of sharing (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2005)

2- Mozart Ways (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

3- Schickhardt itinerary (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

4- Don Quixote route (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

5- The Phoenicians route(Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

6- The Via Carolingia (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

7- Transromanica – the romanesque routes of European heritage (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

8- The Via Regia (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2006)

9- The Santiago pilgrims routes (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

10- The Via Francigena (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

11- The ways of Saint Michael (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

12- The St. Olav Ways (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2010),

13- The network of cluniac sites (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2006),

14- The European Route of Cistercian (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2010),

15- Vikings and Normans, european heritage (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

16 - Hanseatic sites, routes and monuments (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004),

17- The pyrenean iron route (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004),

18- The Iron Road in Central Europe (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007),

19- Parks and gardens, landscape (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

20- Fortified military architectures in Europe, Wenzel itinerary (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004), Vauban itinerary (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

21- The legacy of al-andalus (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004).

22- Castillan language and sefardic people in mediterranean areas (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

23- European jewish heritage route (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2005),

24- European routes of migration heritage (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2007),

25- The routes of the olive tree (Certification Major Cultural - 2006)

26- Iter Vitis - The Ways of the Vineyards in Europe (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2008),

27- Prehistoric Rock Art Trail (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2010)

28- European Cemeteries Route (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2010)

29- Thermal Heritage and Thermal Towns (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2010)

The routes are marked with different signs and markers.

There are also lots of informations boards and monuments on historical sites.

So we could waymark them.

What do you think?

I know it isn't really global - but it covers nearly whole Europe. So the global criteria might be hit.

I tend to dislike - in Waymarking - those categories which are attached to a given list. There is the architecture prizes, where a prize will not be accepted if not included in one of the 4 lists given; there is the 1.000 Places to Visit Before You Die where you will have to find the place in the book you will have to buy. And more. It's a matter of principle. I prefer wider categories, because strict categories made a Waymarking which is not so appealing to the common potential player.

I think the idea has some potential. What would you want to be waymarked? Markers? The real stations, that constitute these roads? Or both?

Are there better descriptions of the specific routes and their stations available? Both, Wikipedia and the European Institute of Cultural Routes, seem not to care about details too much.

BTW: There's the category: National Scenic Byways. First I thought your idea could maybe go there, but after I checked the category and the European Cultural Routes description, I saw that they do not harmonize at all.

I think this could work. Take a look at National Scenic Byways, Route 66 The Mother Road, Lincoln Highway, Old Spanish Trail Auto Route and U.S. Route 99 - The Pacific Highway categories for idea on how other route categories are setup and what they accept.

I think this could work. Take a look at National Scenic Byways, Route 66 The Mother Road, Lincoln Highway, Old Spanish Trail Auto Route and U.S. Route 99 - The Pacific Highway categories for idea on how other route categories are setup and what they accept.

Thanks! Good idea

Here's a link to the official Homepage of the european council with details about each cultural route. It explains every route and the countries where it exist.

Some of the routes are wider than Europe. eg northern Africa.

I'm dealing with a new category idea: European Cultural Routes

The Council of Europe has elected actually 29 cultural routes since 1987. (Maybe more to come)

They all have a different focus on European history.

Official Homepage of the European Institute of the Cultural Routes.

Wikipedia entry

List of the 29 Cultural Routes of the Council of Europe :

1- Saint Martin of Tours, European figure, symbol of sharing (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2005)

2- Mozart Ways (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

3- Schickhardt itinerary (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

4- Don Quixote route (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

5- The Phoenicians route(Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

6- The Via Carolingia (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

7- Transromanica – the romanesque routes of European heritage (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

8- The Via Regia (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2006)

9- The Santiago pilgrims routes (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

10- The Via Francigena (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

11- The ways of Saint Michael (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007)

12- The St. Olav Ways (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2010),

13- The network of cluniac sites (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2006),

14- The European Route of Cistercian (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2010),

15- Vikings and Normans, european heritage (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

16 - Hanseatic sites, routes and monuments (Certification Major Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004),

17- The pyrenean iron route (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004),

18- The Iron Road in Central Europe (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2007),

19- Parks and gardens, landscape (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

20- Fortified military architectures in Europe, Wenzel itinerary (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004), Vauban itinerary (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

21- The legacy of al-andalus (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004).

22- Castillan language and sefardic people in mediterranean areas (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2004)

23- European jewish heritage route (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe - 2005),

24- European routes of migration heritage (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2007),

25- The routes of the olive tree (Certification Major Cultural - 2006)

26- Iter Vitis - The Ways of the Vineyards in Europe (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2008),

27- Prehistoric Rock Art Trail (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2010)

28- European Cemeteries Route (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2010)

29- Thermal Heritage and Thermal Towns (Certification Cultural Route of the Council of Europe – 2010)

The routes are marked with different signs and markers.

There are also lots of informations boards and monuments on historical sites.

So we could waymark them.

What do you think?

I know it isn't really global - but it covers nearly whole Europe. So the global criteria might be hit.

In Texas we have the same thing to discover Texas history, except they are called Texas Heritage Trails:

Texas Brazos Trail

Texas Forest Trail

Texas Forts Trail

Texas Hill Country Trail

Texas Independence Trail

Texas Lakes Trail

Texas Mountain Trail

Texas Pecos Trail

Texas Plains Trail

Texas Tropical Trail

These are all signed with special blue signs and, if you follow the trail route, you get to experience the scenic/cultural highlights of that particular trail. There are lots of stops for historic markers along these routes.

If you could write your cultural trails proposal more broadly to encompass any kind of government (or country)-sponsored cultural or heritage trail, then your category could be global without any question or complaint.

A cultural trail I found - http://www.murrayart...u/cultural/map/ - which borders NSW & Victoria provides a list of places such as museums, farms, Aboriginal sites, factories etc which you visit based on a PDF map which gives details of each. The trail is promoted by a tourism body. The European Cultural Routes have a strong tourism influence as well. I clicked on one of your links & found this:

.....the Study tends to analyse how much Cultural Routes networks can benefit SMEs, especially in less-known destinations, where the local culture and heritage are the main resource for development, and how SMEs' clusters can create a solid basis for promoting Europe as "the world's No 1 tourist destination".

If these cultural routes have a map similar to the one I found couldn't they just be included in the category of self guided tours?

They would have to have some type of leaflet or map to guide you.

If you expanded the proposal to cover the globe how would this Australian cultural trail fit in? Highly unlikely there would be an identification plaque at each site.

(I prefer font size 3 but this site makes random changes once submitted)

Edited by Tuena