Anyone interested in teaming up on an "Exchange" cache?

J Grouchy

The Exchange cache sounds like an awsome idea. I would do it if I was in Atlanta. I always think of Exchange programs as international. Maybe within the states we could do Cachepals? Kinda of like penpals? Do the same thing?

An interesting idea. It would be fun to do an exchange cache where the city name is the same (e.g. Rome, Italy and Rome, NY).

The Exchange cache sounds like an awsome idea. I would do it if I was in Atlanta. I always think of Exchange programs as international. Maybe within the states we could do Cachepals? Kinda of like penpals? Do the same thing?

An interesting idea. It would be fun to do an exchange cache where the city name is the same (e.g. Rome, Italy and Rome, NY).

Isle of Rhodes and Rhode Island.

Alright...I'd do that.

Anyone here from or near...

Atlanta, Nova Scotia, Canada?

Atlanta, Región Autónoma del Atlántico Sur, Nicaragua?

Atlanta, Arkansas?

Atlanta, California?

Atlanta, Delaware?

Atlanta, Idaho?

Atlanta, Illinois?

Atlanta, Indiana?

Atlanta, Kansas?

Atlanta, Louisiana?

Atlanta, Michigan?

Atlanta, Missouri?

Atlanta, Nebraska?

Atlanta, New York?

Atlanta, Texas?

Atlanta, Wisconsin?

Atlanta Township, Logan County, Illinois?

Atlanta Township, Kansas?

Atlanta Township, Minnesota?

Alright...I'd do that.

Atlanta, Arkansas?

Atlanta, California?

Atlanta, Delaware?

Atlanta, Idaho?

Atlanta, Illinois?

Atlanta, Indiana?

Atlanta, Kansas?

Atlanta, Louisiana?

Atlanta, Michigan?

Atlanta, Missouri?

Atlanta, Nebraska?

Atlanta, New York?

Atlanta, Texas?

Atlanta, Wisconsin?

There is a Homer, GA...

75 miles from Atlanta

Edited by NeverSummer

I'm in for Homer, AK. :antenna:

There's a Homer, NY about 22 miles from where I live.

It would also be interesting to see "Sister city" caches. Apparently the sister city for the town I live in is Eldoret, Rift Valley Province, Kenya. I had never heard of Eldoret before and wonder what the connection might be, and then noticed the it's the location of Moi University. I did some training (as a trainer) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania a couple of years ago and several of the attendees were from Moi University. I doubt that any of them are geocachers but there *are* a couple of caches there.

It looks like the sister cities for Homer, Alaska are Teshio, Japan and Yelizovo, Russia.

Alright...I'd do that.

Atlanta, Arkansas?

Atlanta, California?

Atlanta, Delaware?

Atlanta, Idaho?

Atlanta, Illinois?

Atlanta, Indiana?

Atlanta, Kansas?

Atlanta, Louisiana?

Atlanta, Michigan?

Atlanta, Missouri?

Atlanta, Nebraska?

Atlanta, New York?

Atlanta, Texas?

Atlanta, Wisconsin?

There is a Homer, GA...

75 miles from Atlanta

A good bit outside my normal radius...

Alright...I'd do that.

Atlanta, Arkansas?

Atlanta, California?

Atlanta, Delaware?

Atlanta, Idaho?

Atlanta, Illinois?

Atlanta, Indiana?

Atlanta, Kansas?

Atlanta, Louisiana?

Atlanta, Michigan?

Atlanta, Missouri?

Atlanta, Nebraska?

Atlanta, New York?

Atlanta, Texas?

Atlanta, Wisconsin?

There is a Homer, GA...

75 miles from Atlanta

A good bit outside my normal radius...

Perhaps a New Year's Resolution to get out more?

Plus, if we make sure the cache is a good container, well hidden, and has a plenty big enough write-in-the-rain logbook, we should be ok on maintenance visits on that end.

Anyhow, food for thought for anyone who is north of Atlanta and wants to partner Homer, GA>>Homer, AK

I was inspired by this cache GC4D9GQ and the teamwork required across long distances. I'd be interested in creating a similar cache, perhaps with someone in another state or country. Anyone up for it?

Throw out some ideas!

I live in Ottawa Ontario, Canada, and would love to do something like this with you. Or with anyone for that matter. I saw similar multicaches featured on Groundspeak's geocache of the week.

Contact me through the link on my profile or at gophergregftw@gmail.com if you're willing to do this with me.

Thanks, :)

Greg

Its been done e.g. Newcastle UK/Newcastle Australia.

GC4RZ3D/GC4RZ26

Its been done e.g. Newcastle UK/Newcastle Australia.

GC4RZ3D/GC4RZ26

The idea is great if both destinations are of similar activity level. Makes little sense to built such a pair in central Moscow and central London: too many people ready to go for the box in the UK capital will be waiting for anyone willing to help them here.

There are some smaller places with funny names in the US however that could be considered for such partnership caches. Moscow in Idaho or Kremlin in Oklahoma, for example :)

The idea is great if both destinations are of similar activity level. Makes little sense to built such a pair in central Moscow and central London: too many people ready to go for the box in the UK capital will be waiting for anyone willing to help them here.

There are some smaller places with funny names in the US however that could be considered for such partnership caches. Moscow in Idaho or Kremlin in Oklahoma, for example :)

There is also a St. Petersburg in Florida. Lots of towns in my area are based on Greek names (I live in Ithaca). A few weeks ago I was in Hamburg, Germany and Hamburg, New York in the span of a week.

While I think this is an interesting idea, some of the examples I've seen include what appear to be ALRs (you can't visit both locations, you must work as a team) and the idea that working with someone in another cities justifies finds on both caches just doesn't make sense to me. The definition of "a find" is often a grey area open to debate, but I just don't understand how some can convince themselves the "found" a cache when they didn't even visit the location.

There is also a St. Petersburg in Florida. Lots of towns in my area are based on Greek names (I live in Ithaca). A few weeks ago I was in Hamburg, Germany and Hamburg, New York in the span of a week.

While I think this is an interesting idea, some of the examples I've seen include what appear to be ALRs (you can't visit both locations, you must work as a team) and the idea that working with someone in another cities justifies finds on both caches just doesn't make sense to me. The definition of "a find" is often a grey area open to debate, but I just don't understand how some can convince themselves the "found" a cache when they didn't even visit the location.

I saw the thread title and this immediately sprang to mind. Claiming both caches simply because you had help from the person at the other end doesn't make sense, yet i've seen similarly placed caches with that concept in mind. The cache in the original post in this thread doesn't seem to be set up this way. It's different from the ordinary and sounds like fun.

Lumberton, Tx?

I know there's a Lumberton, NC. (hint hint) :lol:

The example I gave specifically states that "A special prize will be awarded to the first cacher who is able to find both caches and sign both logs solo"...implying that one can't claim a find on both when really only finding one. I don't think anyone has tried doing that, either.

If "Atlanta" is tough...some other options for areas of town or the metro area I could place a cache in:

Decatur

Edgewood

Grant Park

Dekalb or Fulton (two counties here)

any number of street names

It also doesn't have to be a city/town name, but could be some historical connection (famous resident of both places, Civil War campaigns, etc.) or even a modern day connection. Heck...it could even be something like a multiple city exchange between Delta Airlines "hub" cities (and actually, that might be kind of cool...and tough...requiring communication between three or more parties to have all the info needed to find the cache in any given city).

It also doesn't have to be a city/town name, but could be some historical connection (famous resident of both places, Civil War campaigns, etc.) or even a modern day connection. Heck...it could even be something like a multiple city exchange between Delta Airlines "hub" cities (and actually, that might be kind of cool...and tough...requiring communication between three or more parties to have all the info needed to find the cache in any given city).

Many cities have "sister" cities in other countries. Newport, RI has several!

Many cities have "sister" cities in other countries. Newport, RI has several!

Hehe...Atlanta has 21!! What?

Anyone here from Lagos, Nigeria? How about Newcastle upon Tyne, UK?

Hmmm...that last one could mean a beer-themed cache....

Edited by J Grouchy

I did this one and it was a lot of work on my part but was fun.

GC2RM0P

http://www.geocachin...e-caf501d16b4d#

From the description on the listing:

The Ohio geocacher (who has to be the same geocacher who started the team) then finds the sixth and final stage. He/she signs the logsheet for both him/herself and all the others on his/her team. All geocachers on the team can then enter on-line find logs for the cache!

That is about as lame as it gets.:rolleyes:

It would also be interesting to see "Sister city" caches. Apparently the sister city for the town I live in is Eldoret, Rift Valley Province, Kenya. I had never heard of Eldoret before and wonder what the connection might be, and then noticed the it's the location of Moi University. I did some training (as a trainer) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania a couple of years ago and several of the attendees were from Moi University. I doubt that any of them are geocachers but there *are* a couple of caches there.

It looks like the sister cities for Homer, Alaska are Teshio, Japan and Yelizovo, Russia.

If you want to partner up AK>>NY, I'm in!

I did this one and it was a lot of work on my part but was fun.

GC2RM0P

http://www.geocachin...e-caf501d16b4d#

From the description on the listing:

The Ohio geocacher (who has to be the same geocacher who started the team) then finds the sixth and final stage. He/she signs the logsheet for both him/herself and all the others on his/her team. All geocachers on the team can then enter on-line find logs for the cache!

That is about as lame as it gets.:rolleyes:

Nah, there are lamer things in Ohio. :blink:

I'm starting a spreadsheet to keep track of who is interested in a partnership. If you would like to get yourself on this list to find a connection, please send me a PM through the forum. (Not my account email--I'm trying to keep certain correspondence in specific places!)

I'll periodically post images of the spreadsheet so that folks can look it over and see who they might be able to partner up with.

Pretty soon, one will be asking other cachers just to sign one's name to a log in their location. One will have a find in every country where a friend or relative (or another cacher who agrees that this is a valid method to claim a find) lives or visits.

Pretty soon, one will be asking other cachers just to sign one's name to a log in their location. One will have a find in every country where a friend or relative (or another cacher who agrees that this is a valid method to claim a find) lives or visits.

Another cacher agreeing that this is a valid method to claim a find isn't the problem. The problem is cache owners that allow this method to claim a find.

The issue of container swapping and leapfrogging as valid methods to do a power trail wouldn't be an issue of cache owners didn't allow them

I would but, I'm not doing much caching locally anymore (if 22 miles is local). I just don't get up to Homer, NY often enough to justify placing a cache. I know a cacher that lives in Homer though and can check if he's interested.

I would but, I'm not doing much caching locally anymore (if 22 miles is local). I just don't get up to Homer, NY often enough to justify placing a cache. I know a cacher that lives in Homer though and can check if he's interested.

Point them my way!

If anyone else is interested, I'm still updating the "Partner Finder" spreadsheet. (take that one to out of context, will ya wmpastor...)

Right now I have:

J Grouchy: Atlanta, GA, USA

NeverSummer: Homer/Anchor Point, AK, USA

GopherGreg: Ottawa, Ont., Canada

Cankid: XXX, XXX, Australia

Yorkshire Yellow: Stroud, UK

coman123: Kingston, Ont., Canada

Once I start seeing requests to my PM inbox here on the forums, I will start posting images of the list.

Edited by NeverSummer

I probably have one of the first ones. Between Hobart Tasmania and Hobart Washington. Hobart-Hobart TransPacific Multi-cache Part 1

When I did the Tasmania part the final is on Mt Wellington, I hiked up there XMAS eve which is summer time downunder and it was snowing and sleeting. Which is good because it kept the Jack Jumpers down.

Point them my way!

If anyone else is interested, I'm still updating the "Partner Finder" spreadsheet. (take that one to out of context, will ya wmpastor...)

Right now I have:

Cankid: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Once I start seeing requests to my PM inbox here on the forums, I will start posting images of the list.

There, I fixed it for you!

Point them my way!

Right now I have:

Cankid: Canberra, ACT, Australia

There, I fixed it for you!

I think you may have misunderstood. The Found cache is in your own city. The coordinates are supplied from your 'partner' in the sister city. You then go find the cache, sign the log and claim your smiley. You can't claim a find for the cache in the other city.

Riverside is in all but 4 states( Hawaii, Alaska, Louisiana, and Oklahoma)...or Pleasant valley is another common city. I'm not too far from pleasant valley in California. I'm fairly new and still learning but I'd be willing to help if needed? Thanks

Edited by bumpkins35

How about we just do a log signature exchange. No need to litter the countryside with more caches. Find someone in another country and have them sign your name to a few caches, taking photos of your sig on the log. You do the same for them in your area.

If you want to feel better about the armchairyness of it all, call each other while on the search. It will be just like you were there. :ph34r: