Thank you all

Written

Hey all, Since I don't have a GPS yet and wont until my job speeds back up(working at state park) so until then I have been using a map and compass(and google earth at home) to get the 3 finds I have so far and I hope to find more when I am not walking a horse. Some of them are not possible for me to do just yet but this is a perfect way for somebody to practice land navigation. I love this. Thank you all for placing caches and making it possible for people like me to start out. I have been geocaching with friends and family before(when I was younger) but now I am just having fun with it on my own. When I do get a gps it will make it all a little easier :lol:

thank you all again.

Edited by Written

You are caching using compass and a paper map? Now that must be difficult! Actually, it sounds like more of a challenge.

When I was in NJROTC in high school, I was on the orienteering team. We used a map and a compasss to find locations in a specifc area. Each of these had a unique paper punch which we would (steal so no one else could get the punch, oops!) punch our card to prove we visited that location. The group with the most points won the match.

I'm guessing you don't have a smart phone or a "car" gps.

Welcome to Geocaching.

Some go for QUANTIY - I'm more for QUALITY.

I'm guessing you don't have a smart phone or a "car" gps.

Some go for QUANTIY - I'm more for QUALITY.

nope, dont feel like having a phone in general is worth my time or money, and I like maps better than a car gps, I feel it's more accurate. BUT, I do want to get a gps just for the ones I have troubles finding, and for my hiking off main trails to secret spots, might have to set up a cache when I get a GPS lol :ph34r:

nope, dont feel like having a phone in general is worth my time or money, and I like maps better than a car gps, I feel it's more accurate. BUT, I do want to get a gps just for the ones I have troubles finding, and for my hiking off main trails to secret spots, might have to set up a cache when I get a GPS lol :ph34r:

I find that the ones deep in the woods can be a bit tricky - I managed 2 of 3 today in woods which have changed dramatically from the sat imagery and mapping - and had a nice walk into the bargain which was exactly what I was looking for.

Multicaches - where you have to find more that one site or container - are time consuming but doable. Sometimes they take multiple trips, other times I've worked out rough locations in the field and managed to move on to another stage.

I do very occasionally have an iPhone I can use with an app on it. Not at all bad but, tbh, in most cases I'd rather use the map ;-)

I find that the ones deep in the woods can be a bit tricky - I managed 2 of 3 today in woods which have changed dramatically from the sat imagery and mapping - and had a nice walk into the bargain which was exactly what I was looking for.

Multicaches - where you have to find more that one site or container - are time consuming but doable. Sometimes they take multiple trips, other times I've worked out rough locations in the field and managed to move on to another stage.

I do very occasionally have an iPhone I can use with an app on it. Not at all bad but, tbh, in most cases I'd rather use the map ;-)

I havent started the deep woods stuff yet(not close enough to a NF or BLM)But I do work for the state parks so that gives me plenty of reason to "travel" around:) cant wait to get into multi caches but I havent figured out most of the little clues yet(still figuring that stuff out)

Welcome to the game. I've over a 1000 finds without a GPS'r. Only using a compass and map. After awhile, you just know where to look for most of them. I luv watching the GPS'r user's running around in circles trying to get their unit to settle down and the cache is right in front of them. To be quite honest, I don't see the fun of having the unit show you where to look. But everyone plays the game their own way. You'll enjoy it more without the GPS'r, I'm sure.

Welcome to the game. I've over a 1000 finds without a GPS'r. Only using a compass and map. After awhile, you just know where to look for most of them. I luv watching the GPS'r user's running around in circles trying to get their unit to settle down and the cache is right in front of them. To be quite honest, I don't see the fun of having the unit show you where to look. But everyone plays the game their own way. You'll enjoy it more without the GPS'r, I'm sure.

I know I am really enjoying it, I know I will NEED a GPSr for things like multi caches later on(no cell phone, no wifi in the woods) that require remapping coords based on on-site hints. I was out hiking yesterday and a group was in an area for 15 minutes trying to find a cache(staring at their hand) once they gave up I hopped in and found it in 5 mins :) Going to start making a sig item soon enough(have a few ideas running through my head) If you know the area it is definately a lot easier than if you dont without a GPSr

I know I am really enjoying it, I know I will NEED a GPSr for things like multi caches later on(no cell phone, no wifi in the woods) that require remapping coords based on on-site hints.

You don't *need* one - took me 5 or 6 trips to do a multi-stage puzzle cache around here last year 0 not so bad as most of them simply involved a 10 minute drive and then a walk - although the walk started getting quite long. They *can* be done - you just have to relax a bit more about them.

I know I am really enjoying it, I know I will NEED a GPSr for things like multi caches later on(no cell phone, no wifi in the woods) that require remapping coords based on on-site hints.

You don't *need* one - took me 5 or 6 trips to do a multi-stage puzzle cache around here last year 0 not so bad as most of them simply involved a 10 minute drive and then a walk - although the walk started getting quite long. They *can* be done - you just have to relax a bit more about them.

Ok, sorry It would make it easier and I wouldn't have to do so many trips lol

Early on, I would make multiple trips when doing multi-caches without a GPS receiver. But after doing a few that way, I figured out that each 0.001min of latitude is about 6ft, and (around here) each 0.001min of longitude is just under 5ft. That was enough for me to pace off the distance between one stage and the next for most multi-caches.

Early on, I would make multiple trips when doing multi-caches without a GPS receiver. But after doing a few that way, I figured out that each 0.001min of latitude is about 6ft, and (around here) each 0.001min of longitude is just under 5ft. That was enough for me to pace off the distance between one stage and the next for most multi-caches.

Yeah, I've sort of done that on occasion - OS maps here have the lat and long markings along the sides at quite large gaps and if I have a set of coords for other caches I've worked off them as well at times. But I'm a bit lousy at guessing distance really - sometimes it works but generally it's a bit of a fail :-)