Make my Ipod geocaching app open http://coord.info/GCxxxx links

buti_oxa

Here's my usual hike preparation procedure.

1. Using geocaching.com on my computer, find caches around the route.
  2. Download cache coordinates into my GPSr.
  3. For each cache, click on the cache id and copy/paste the link there into an email.
  4. Send the email to myself.
  5. Open the email on my Ipod.
  6. Click on each link there.
  7. The link opens in geocaching app.
  8. Save the cache that opens in an offline list.

Then, I can get all the information I need on the trail from the saved list, maps, images and all. Great feature!

It works fine on my old, now broken Ipod Touch of generation 4, but not on my new shiny generation 5 Ipod. The problem: on step 7, the link opens in Safari!

How do I make my Ipod choose geocaching app instead?

3. For each cache, click on the cache id and copy/paste the link there into an email.

Then, I can get all the information I need on the trail from the saved list, maps, images and all. Great feature!

It works fine on my old, now broken Ipod Touch of generation 4, but not on my new shiny generation 5 Ipod. The problem: on step 7, the link opens in Safari!

You do have the full, paid app installed don't you?

It would be much easier on you if you used an iphone with the app, or used a GPSr with paperless caching. Or even something with PQ's.

It should be asking which application you want to open via the Geo App or Safari. Did you by any chance at sometime along the line click the preference of Safari?

You may need to reset Safari, which can cause a reset of Passwords for other items you visit within Safari.

Good luck....

How do I reset Safari? I just got the ipod, bought the Geo App, so I have nothing to lose.

I am quite sure I was not asked anything about Safari preference....

Eeeesh....this is about 8 seps too many!!

You can run a PQ of the area.

Or, even easier...just open your app. Go to, 'find nearby caches'

Scroll over to the hiking area in question, hit the little funky search icon on the bottom left. You'll get 30 caches in your chosen area. Want more? Choose 'load more results' to get more caches.

Then, save them all to an offline list

Takes under a min to save a few hundred caches saved offline. Way, way, way easier than a PQ.

I suspect there are easier ways of doing this (e.g. adding the caches you want to a bookmark; making the bookmark a PQ and loading the PQ into your iPod app?) but to try to answer your question....

On my iPhone (ios 7) if there is a file opened in a particular app which can also be used in another app you should have an icon that looks like a box with an arrow coming out the top. Tapping that will give you a menu that will allow the other app to open the file. maybe that will work on the iPod?

I suspect there are easier ways of doing this (e.g. adding the caches you want to a bookmark; making the bookmark a PQ and loading the PQ into your iPod app?) but to try to answer your question....

On my iPhone (ios 7) if there is a file opened in a particular app which can also be used in another app you should have an icon that looks like a box with an arrow coming out the top. Tapping that will give you a menu that will allow the other app to open the file. maybe that will work on the iPod?

Thanks! Unfortunately, this does not work for me: the box with arrow button when in Safari always suggests mail, twitter, and facebook. The list does not depend on the current URL. :( Do you see Geo App on your iphone?

I would gladly switch to another way. In fact, bookmarking the target caches was the first thing I tried. I was very surprised to see that Geo App does not see my bookmarks. Then, I tried the convoluted email route, and it worked (then). So, bookmark -> PQ -> saved list idea sounds great. But, how do I make a PQ out of bookmark list?

Thanks again,

buti

Scroll over to the hiking area in question, hit the little funky search icon on the bottom left. You'll get 30 caches in your chosen area. Want more? Choose 'load more results' to get more caches.

Takes under a min to save a few hundred caches saved offline. Way, way, way easier than a PQ.

That's a great idea. I thought that 'find nearby caches' feature only finds nearby caches, so I never even try the feature. Now I see the ability to shift the map and "search again from here". This works great if you are try to comb a neighborhood, give many irrelevant results when if you are going on a trail. It's usually the latter for me.

But, if the other options fail, that is what I'll do.

Thank you for the suggestion.

buti

Clearing cookies and data in the safari settings menu (under the main settings rather than in the app itself) has worked for me on the iphone to clear the default settings when opening a linked cache. Then if you have the Groundspeak app installed you should be able to select it as the new default when you select a cache link in the future. But it seems easier to use pocket queries or the advanced search function in the app to find caches in a particular area.

I have found that it is easier and faster to use Geosphere to save cache information but it does not automatically open on a link.

Edited by geodarts

That's a great idea. I thought that 'find nearby caches' feature only finds nearby caches, so I never even try the feature. Now I see the ability to shift the map and "search again from here". This works great if you are try to comb a neighborhood, give many irrelevant results when if you are going on a trail. It's usually the latter for me.

But, if the other options fail, that is what I'll do.

Thank you for the suggestion.

buti

You know, once you have any saved offline lists, you can remove any cache from the list? In the same way you add them, you can take them away.

But since you live and hike in such an awesome area, just run a PQ of the common hiking areas. They automatically show up on your iphone to download once youve done this.

Thanks! Unfortunately, this does not work for me: the box with arrow button when in Safari always suggests mail, twitter, and facebook. The list does not depend on the current URL. :( Do you see Geo App on your iphone?

I would gladly switch to another way. In fact, bookmarking the target caches was the first thing I tried. I was very surprised to see that Geo App does not see my bookmarks. Then, I tried the convoluted email route, and it worked (then). So, bookmark -> PQ -> saved list idea sounds great. But, how do I make a PQ out of bookmark list?

Thanks again,

buti

Tis easy

From your geocaching.com home page click on "Lists"

You should see a list of your Bookmarks. Click on "Create Pocket Query" for the bookmark list in question.

I understand that from there (when you have internet connection on your iThing) you can then download the PQ.

I can't test that as I only have the "intro" app on my iPhone.

(I would stick to the GPS for finding caches and just use the iPad for your paperless data. For the last cache I found the iPhone had me standing in the middle of the road when I was actually some 5-10 metre from the curb).

(I would stick to the GPS for finding caches and just use the iPad for your paperless data. For the last cache I found the iPhone had me standing in the middle of the road when I was actually some 5-10 metre from the curb).

And I suppose this was due to the iPhone and had nothing to do with the accuracy of the posted coords? What did the map say?

I've got a garmin 60CSx and a 62S. Trust me. My iPhone is just as accurate, and sometimes more. You just need to learn how to use your device.

Buti-once your query runs, it's automatically available on your app. Just pick the pocket queries tab, select your query, pick the three dots (...) and add it to a saved list.

Easy peasy

And I suppose this was due to the iPhone and had nothing to do with the accuracy of the posted coords? What did the map say?

I've got a garmin 60CSx and a 62S. Trust me. My iPhone is just as accurate, and sometimes more. You just need to learn how to use your device.

...snip..

My eTrex Venture HC had led me bang onto the physical GZ while the map on my iPhone was showing me that I was standing in the middle of the road. (The actual location of the cache on the iPhone map probably wasn't too far off).

I've looked around the Forum for an answer to my question and this is about the closest discussion I've found. Not exactly on topic, but close. When an email notification comes in, new cache, whatever, and I click on the link, I've always had the iPhone open in the geocaching app. Sometimes a screen comes up, asking if you want to open in the app or go to geocaching.com. I suppose at some point, I must have accidentally clicked on the geocaching.com option, because now all the links open in geocaching.com. That's not what I want. I want it to open in the app. How do I get back there? I've cleared the browser history and website data in Safari, logged out and logged back in both the app and geocaching.com, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but it still opens in geocaching.com. How do I bring up the screen where it asks me what I want to do?

Edited by GeoMeerkats

All the apps were updated today, as explained in the Release Notes forum. You will see that this question was raised there as a bug report. I'm going to close this bumped thread, which related to a different problem unique to the topic starter's workflow.