Sounds mad, and rightfully so...

bspeng

Geocache originally by Michael Moreth

In what I assume was a well intentioned move, user Greenback adopted this cache via the administrator without requesting permission from the original cache owner. I'm guessing this, as I've just read the post by Michael Moreth.

This seems badly handled on a number of levels:

1) Michael is apparently still around.

2) No requests for Michael's whereabouts have been made.

(no "open" requests, such as log posts or this forum)

3) Little mention of the reason for the adoption.

4) Adopting user has small history.

5) It seems rude.

I'm writing this because Michael has apparently copped a "I'm taking my toys and going home" attitude. I disapointed by this too.

Michael has removed the cache.

This has been a long-time cache. A good example of an urban cache... unique. I enjoyed this cache.

I hope this can be resolved and the cache be reinstated.

I believe that ownership should be returned to Michael, asap. If there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to ask.

No disrespect meant to user Greenback. There is a de-facto procedure established for "forced" adoptions (in this area), such as "Accelerator" (which, ultimately did not take place). Mostly it involves communication.

I am commenting on this topic without having all of the information. I do this with hope that the concerned parties will resolve the situation.

brian spengler

aka bspeng

[This message was edited by Jeremy (Admin) on July 08, 2002 at 12:51 PM.]

At the beginning of the creation of the geocaching.com site, many of the older caches were listed and defaulted to my name.

After about a year of accounts existing for geocachers, I emailed everyone whose caches defaulted to my account and asked them to create their own accounts so they could administer them. For those who preferred not to or did not respond to my emails, I assumed that they were gone for some time, so I started adding red text to the top of these caches so people could adopt them to ensure they didn't go abandoned.

The funny thing is I've been the "owner" of the cache listing since the cache was placed. I didn't remember anyone complaining that I was the "owner" of it all that time.

If folks want to have a "take my toys and go home approach" to this, that's their issue to work out. But at the bare minimum on the site if you want to have your cache listed, by golly you should associate your account to it so you know what's going on with your cache.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

My apologies for my jumping to poor conclusions. See what can happen when we don't communicate?

Jeremy, did you ever put anything more explaining the situation on the cache page other than "This cache needs to be adopted"? Or post a note so people watching the cache would get notified that there were impending changes to the cache? We could have let you know what was up.

As far as your being the owner, unless someone clicked on Michael Moreth's name and got your page, they wouldn't have seen it. It indicated that it was placed by Michael Moreth.

OK...

• Sorry I jumped to conclusions about Greenback's hustling to adopt a cache
  • Sorry I then jumped to conclusions about the admins "poaching" the cache
  • Really sorry that Michael is now ticked and removed his cache

Did I miss anyone?

I'm just concerned about people jumping to conclusions and adopting caches in a hurry when there might be other avenues of communication - like the local forums (Midwest) or Local Groups (Chicago Group). I don't want anyone to make the embarrassing mistake I made with the Accelerator cache or like this one.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I don't think there has been any adopting of caches "in a hurry." As I indicated in this case the cache was attached to my account from basically the first time the cache was posted. After several emails to folks that they need to own it, I put the note on the cache page. Usually I have the reason and the request in red:

"Unable to contact the owner of this cache. Please contact the web site if you wish to adopt it."

Obviously there needs to be a judgement call on a cache that has been unattended and needs a new owner. I rarely put a note on pages like this. Usually adoption occurs when a concerned geocacher attempts to contact the owner after a cache has been missing for some time, and petitions to the contact address to adopt it. Of course if the owner returns they can have it back.

There was certainly a communication issue here. I had no idea there was any issue until your post. By that time it was too late to massage an apparently bruised ego.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

1) I owe an apology to Greenback for assuming.

2) Communication may not solve problems, but, it sure helps.

3) All games have rules.

4) I'm disappointed that the opportunity to let this end pleasantly wasn't taken.

brian spengler

Michael:

I see no problem with Jeremy putting his time into developing his site in anyway he sees fit. If he winds up building a business around it, good for him. Have you checked recently on what country you are living in?

If you don't like how he has organized his geocaching site, perhaps it would be best for you to go play somewhere else.

When I was a 6 year old and there was a kid in the neighborhood with your attitude we had a word for him: baby

Grow up.

My apologies for being in the forefront of this mess. As you go through life you live and hopefully learn. This has been quite a learning experience.

I only wish my subject line were true in this case, as Michael Moreth's site is (was) quite possibly the best site for a new geocacher to go to.

Once your dead it's not worth living.

For those of you watching this forum.

As soon as I heard that Michael Moreth had posted a message to the site I sent a request to the admin asking that control of the web page be turned off for me and turned over to Michael Moreth. There have been various conversations between all the involved parties by email and within the forum, and I'm looking forward to the web controls being turned off for me.

My only intention was to respond to the admin request for someone to adopt the site and to insure that it would continue being the fantastic cache that it was for years to come.

Thank you to everyone for your positive comments and understanding.

Once your dead it's not worth living.