EarthCache Survey

GeoawareGSA1

EarthCache Survey

Please help us to learn more about EarthCachers and EarthCaching by completing our online survey. The survey is part of a study to learn more about who participates in EarthCaching, why they participate, and what they learn. Your answers are confidential. You need to be at least 18 years old and live in the United States to participate. The survey team is interested in receiving responses from a wide variety of people, ranging from highly experienced EarthCache Masters, all the way to EarthCache rookies. The survey is being conducted by researchers from the Center for STEM Research, Education, & Outreach at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Thanks for your help! Here is the link to the survey: https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5z113NYyeKvxmWp

EarthCache Survey

Please help us to learn more about EarthCachers and EarthCaching by completing our online survey. The survey is part of a study to learn more about who participates in EarthCaching, why they participate, and what they learn. Your answers are confidential. You need to be at least 18 years old and live in the United States to participate. The survey team is interested in receiving responses from a wide variety of people, ranging from highly experienced EarthCache Masters, all the way to EarthCache rookies. The survey is being conducted by researchers from the Center for STEM Research, Education, & Outreach at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Thanks for your help! Here is the link to the survey: https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5z113NYyeKvxmWp

Hey, you're not allowed to post surveys on the geocaching forum!

(Kidding, kidding. And, I'm taking it right now.)

You need to be at least 18 years old and live in the United States to participate.

Sure, non-Americans or under 18's have no valid opinions about EarthCaches...

So why is the research team only interested in answers from people living in the US and above 18? Surely they must realise there are younger cachers and it IS a global activity.

Anyway, I've been rebelling and took the survey (but I guess failing to answer the question about where I live will have my answers purged).

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

You need to be at least 18 years old and live in the United States to participate.

Sure, non-Americans or under 18's have no valid opinions about EarthCaches...

So why is the research team only interested in answers from people living in the US and above 18? Surely they must realise there are younger cachers and it IS a global activity.

Anyway, I've been rebelling and took the survey (but I guess failing to answer the question about where I live will have my answers purged).

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

I agree 100% with terratin. Why the descrimination? Does the rest of the world not exist outside the US? I have visited EarthCaches in no less than 13 countries and 5 continents around the world and have developed EarthCaches in 5 different countries on 4 continents around the world.

Obviously the opinions of "non-Americans", as Mr Terratin says, are meaningless. :rolleyes:

Survey completed.

And I have no issues with the restrictions on who can take the survey. Any such survey puts limits on who can respond, based on the requirements of those who initiated the survey. In this case, it was the STEM people, a US-based initiative, so I'm guessing that's why only US replies were requested. No idea why the age restriction, but I will rely on the expertise of the survey writers.

Will the results be made available?

The reasons for the limitation are simple:

a. Survey respondents must be 18 and over because otherwise, parental permission would be required, and doing that electronically, verifying it, etc., would prove too difficult. In the U.S. (and elsewhere, I imagine), there are rules about "experiments on human subjects", getting proper consent, etc., and the researchers need to follow them.

b. Survey respondents must live in the U.S. because the study is part of a broader set of research specifically about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) education in the U.S. Also, the research group is funded by U.S.-based groups (which is likely to include U.S. governmental grant sources as well) that are specifically studying U.S-based educational programs, so the scope must be limited to within the U.S.

Oh, and then there's:

c. GSA doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks anyway!! ;p :) (J/K!!!!!!)

Anyway, thanks to all who responded to the survey, even if you ARE outside of the U.S.! (We won't tell.)

Regarding survey results, I actually don't know when/how they'll be reported, but we'll keep an eye out for that.

Excited about tomorrow's birthday!

--Matt

By the way, the researchers just closed the survey and de-activated the link. They obtained lots and lots of good data, thank you all so much!

Also, I just learned that they plan to present results at 3IEE, and at that time, should have some written results that we can post as well. They may also present at the 2014 GSA Annual Meeting (or another GSA Meeting).

--Matt

Edited by geoawareHQ