Geocaching for Android 3.2 Release Notes

nkroy

There are quite a few things to cover in this release

* View corrected coordinates you’ve saved online in map mode

* Preview your Pocket Queries before downloading

* Fixed the bug when downloading GPX files from an SD card

* Polish language support

* Achieve geocaching superstar status by upgrading to Geocaching Premium within the app

* Typical bug fixes and app updates

* View corrected coordinates you've saved online in map mode

* Achieve geocaching superstar status by upgrading to Geocaching Premium within the app

WAIT! I can't be a geocaching superstar just because I don't have the app?

* View corrected coordinates you've saved online in map mode

WAIT! I can't be a geocaching superstar just because I don't have the app?

And it's too late now, since you're already PM. :(

So, if I view a cache via the app when the app is in map mode, the location displayed will be the 'user updated co-ordinates' I enter on the website?

What if I try to navigate to that cache?

OK

Terminology confusion, but I get the idea. I can now load from an SD card, but it wouldn't be a 'download'. :P

The Polish Geocaching revolt is averted!

Suck more money from unsuspecting smartphone users!!!

Nice!

Well, I suppose more and more people are using their smartphones as their sole internet device and have no computer.

Couldn't they just use the web browser on the phone?

What, pray tell, are 'Typical bug fixes and app updates'? :unsure:

This doesn't seem to work. I can't find any settings related to it, so presumably it is enabled by default. I have a PQ of solved puzzles, and when I download it to an offline list the caches aren't shown at the corrected coordinates.

This sort-of works, but if I zoom in a bit, a whole bunch of caches are missing. I'm using the same PQ as above; a PQ of solved puzzles. The points are all present when viewing it downloaded (or when saved in an offline list).

This doesn't seem to work. I can't find any settings related to it, so presumably it is enabled by default. I have a PQ of solved puzzles, and when I download it to an offline list the caches aren't shown at the corrected coordinates.

This sort-of works, but if I zoom in a bit, a whole bunch of caches are missing. I'm using the same PQ as above; a PQ of solved puzzles. The points are all present when viewing it downloaded (or when saved in an offline list).

You should be able to see another flag/icon which shows the Corrected coordinated alongside the original coordinates of the cache

When you are previewing the PQ , it just gives you the first 20 caches and annotates them on the map . As you load more of them you should be able to see all when online but when you are saving them , you should be able to see all of them ( make sure you let the process finish in the background to view all the caches )

You should be able to see another flag/icon which shows the Corrected coordinated alongside the original coordinates of the cache

Not within a downloaded PQ. Only after I click "refresh" does an Additional Waypoint appear (a flag) at the corrected coordinates. The Navigate button then points me towards the posted coordinates. I have to manually switch to the Corrected Coordinates flag in the Map view. Why not have the app automatically navigate to the Corrected coordinates if present?

Also, the corrected coordinates disappear from the Additional Waypoints if you open a different cache. You have to re-refresh the cache to get the Corrected Coordinate waypoint back. Why aren't they persistent?

Corrected coordinates are present in PQ downloads. I know this because both GSAK and Neongeo (which use the API) both move the cache icon to the corrected coordinates if present, with no action needed on my part.

When you are previewing the PQ , it just gives you the first 20 caches and annotates them on the map . As you load more of them you should be able to see all when online but when you are saving them , you should be able to see all of them ( make sure you let the process finish in the background to view all the caches )

I guess I don't see the point of a preview that only gives a small fraction of a PQ.

Edited by JJnTJ

I just downloaded my solved puzzle PQ to my computer and opened up the GPX in a text editor. The corrected coordinates are in the <wpt> tag. Where is the app even getting the un-corrected coordinates from? :blink: They aren't anywhere in either the main GPX or the -wpts.gpx file.

It seems like the app deliberately ignores the corrected coordinates already in the GPX files, and downloads un-corrected coordinates from Groundspeak instead. Why?!

Edited by JJnTJ

Confirmed.

I saved the GPX file from my PQ to my phone, then turned off both Wi-Fi and Mobile Data. With no connection to the internet, I went into Settings and picked "Search for GPX files". It found the file I had just saved, and I imported it, then saved it to an offline list. Puzzle caches appeared at their corrected coordinates.

Why in the world isn't this the default behavior?! Why do you ignore the corrected coordinates already inside the PQ? :blink:

Additionally, if I turn on WiFi and Mobile data, then refresh one of these caches, the cache icon moves back to the posted coordinates and puts the flag at the corrected coords.

This app never stops confounding and frustrating me.

Edited by JJnTJ

Noticed that some log photos are now refusing to load in 3.2 when viewing them from the recent activity list with the message "image could not be downloaded" being displayed.

Moto Defy+ on Gingerbread using cache GC4X2N9 as an example.

The same cache on iOS however displays all the photos properly as does the website.

Any other users getting this?