Can't download GCs using Windows 8

colo.kid

I am a newbie and thought I was fairly computer savvy until I tried getting into Geocaching. At this point I am way beyond frustrated. This is what I have for hardware--

---Garmin GPSMAPS s

---Laptop with Windows 8

Over time I have downloaded the following software trying to find something that will work--

---Basecamp

---Mapquest

---QUO V2

When I use GC.com to select caches and then try to DOWNLOAD I either get "Install Conversion" software to download (which does not seem to download properly and thus this process seems to fail),

or I can a message that an "application is not available". I suspect I am doing something really stupid or missing a key

ingredient in the process. From seeing YouTube videos, etc. I thought it would be easy to download files to my PC, then open them with Mapquest, and then upload them to the Garmin. Is that the correct process and why can't I download the files to my PC?

The other issue is it appears I have no topo or basemap in either the above software or my Garmin. How do I get (free) maps installed

easily and on to both the PC and Garmin?

Thanks for any help. I look forward to getting involved in GCing but this startup seems so complex and awkward (or I am REALLY as stupid or

incompetent as my wife says I am)

You've left out some necessary information --

Where you live (country)... it helps a lot if you want mapping info.

Your GPSr -- there is more to it than what you put... there are a goodly number of models of GPSMAP devices by Garmin, I think there were 46 (GPSMAP) models the last I checked. The FULL model designation is important.

The laptop and Win8 should be fine.

You have been busy downloading... perhaps you should ask, first. I do not believe that Mapquest or QUO V2 will do anything for you (at least I have never heard of geocachers using those programs). I do not believe that Mapquest will open files from geocaching.com.

At any rate regarding the above programs... maps are open to you directly on geocaching.com along with all the current existing geocaches shown thereon. Frankly, I see no real need to try and transfer them to other maps -- especially from a beginner point-of-view.

You should however, be able to load geocaches to Basecamp. I dunno for sure, as I don't use it.

The following links are mapping download sources and can be installed onto many (but not all) Garmin units.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

http://talkytoaster.co.uk/home.htm (U.K. maps)

It is easy to download files to your PC and (maybe) your GPSr -- this is model dependent, as differing techniques may be required.

But at this time, I believe it best that you leave this dog nap whilst you settle your desires regarding mapping, and perhaps learning a bit more of what you can/cannot expect from geocaching.com.

Feel free to ask in these forums (most) anything... but try to keep the questions categorized. Multitudes of broad, sweeping questions take a long time and typing in order to provide good answers. That is why I didn't feel it necessary to address downloading of files at this time. There are lots of knowledgeable and smart folks here who can help you.

You may well be computer savvy, but the geocaching "start-up" period can be somewhat overtaxing, and with being apparently very concerned about map installation, you might be best served to do one thing at a time, rather than trying to do it all at once.

You are neither stupid or incompetent. Overwhelmed perhaps... as many beginners are.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Sorry to hear about your frustration.

Have you installed Garmin Communicator? Let's start from there.

If you have an up-to-date version of Garmin Communicator, which web browser are you using? A lot of people are running into a problem with Internet Explorer 11. When they use the "Send to GPS" button, they get the popup with the DeLorme default and cannot switch to the Garmin tab. If you are far enough along to hit this obstacle, use the Compatibility View setting (in Tools) to add geocaching.com to the list of sites.

If you have an up-to-date version of Garmin Communicator, which web browser are you using? A lot of people are running into a problem with Internet Explorer 11. When they use the "Send to GPS" button, they get the popup with the DeLorme default and cannot switch to the Garmin tab. If you are far enough along to hit this obstacle, use the Compatibility View setting (in Tools) to add geocaching.com to the list of sites.

I am have recently downloaded the Communicator plugin (since there was a forum post on difficulties with Wndows 8.1 that made the plugin necessary) but that did not help. BTW I am using Chrome.

Today I will download a map (Arizona) from gpsdepot but I don't know how to get it on my gps.

Thanks for the interest and help--I am trying to get it!!

You do not need any software. You can make a pocket query and copy the GPX files to the GPS under the \Garmin\GPX\ directory. Or you can download directly from the site, which will do the dame thing.

You need to make sure that the GPS is connected to the computer in "mass storage" mode.

You do not need any software. You can make a pocket query and copy the GPX files to the GPS under the \Garmin\GPX\ directory. Or you can download directly from the site, which will do the dame thing.

You need to make sure that the GPS is connected to the computer in "mass storage" mode.

I will try again--thanks. Do I transfer directly to the GPS or do I first put the files into the PC and then transfer to the GPS? And do I do anything special to get a base map to the GPS, like cut an area from the State topo and then transfer it to the GPS (and what software do I do this map-reduction with--MapSource??

Thanks again for taking time to help---really!

After lots of frustrating hours I have finally downloaded the Arizona topo to the GPS using GPSdepot and Basecamp. I never could find a way to get a "custom map" of only a portion of the state for download, but nonetheless I got the entire state on the GPSmap 62s.

However, I still cannot download GCs from this site. I continue to get the message "Application not found". Please, someone, tell me WHAT APPLICATION is it looking for and where should it be located?

Thanks...and yes the GPS is apparently in the Mass Storage mode, not that I have found any way to set it that way but everything says it goes to that mode when attached via the USB (and the USB symbol does appear on the screen). I can't help but comment that the Garmin owners manual is totally worthless IMO.

Are you doing a "Send to GPS"? If so, you need the Garmin communicator plugin installed.

Since you are a premium member, you are best off creating pocket queries and then downloading them to your PC, unzipping them, and placing the two files in the \Garmin\GPX folder either on the GPS device itself, or on the external microSD card (better option).

Are you doing a "Send to GPS"? If so, you need the Garmin communicator plugin installed.

Since you are a premium member, you are best off creating pocket queries and then downloading them to your PC, unzipping them, and placing the two files in the \Garmin\GPX folder either on the GPS device itself, or on the external microSD card (better option).

Though I have the plugin installed, and working as far as I know, the downloading function still does not work. As you suggest, however, if I use the icon for direct "send to gps" then all works fine and the gc is added to the gps. Makes me happy!!! I will try to do the "pocket query" but it looks to be complicated at first glance.

As a consiquence my wife and I went out today and located 5 gcs, which we enjoyed very, very much. Thanks to all for your help.

That said--it should not be that difficult and the instructions in this regard are terrible for a novice.

Edited by colo.kid

A little "trick" when first playing around with Pocket Queries...

As you have probably read, you are limited to 5 queries/day. It may seem to limit your practice runs, but you can get around that.

Set up your Pocket Query in whatever manner you would like to try;

Leave unchecked the day-of-the-week to run it;

Submit the query.

At the top of the page after submitting, you will notice this line (in green): Thanks! Your pocket query has been saved and currently results in (X-number of) caches. You can preview the search on the nearest cache page.

Click on the link (preview the search) and you will be presented with a complete list of the caches that the proposed query selected.

This is a preview only. The PQ did not run and it is NOT charged against your 5/day limit. You can even select the "Map this Location" link at the top of the cache list page to (p)review it even further. Because the query did not run, you cannot load or download anything from the preview.

You can do this any number of times to fine-tune your search parameters and the like. It makes for easier practice without burning up your allotment for the day. Once you are happy with the results, you can simply check the day-of-week to run and re-submit it, for real. If you don't need to actually run the PQ at all, just cancel out of that page.

There are a lot of parameters to choose from, some will even cancel out other parameters, resulting in a zero (0) results returned. This is why practicing queries is good. Before long, it will seem like old-hat stuff.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

After lots of frustrating hours I have finally downloaded the Arizona topo to the GPS using GPSdepot and Basecamp. I never could find a way to get a "custom map" of only a portion of the state for download, but nonetheless I got the entire state on the GPSmap 62s.

However, I still cannot download GCs from this site. I continue to get the message "Application not found". Please, someone, tell me WHAT APPLICATION is it looking for and where should it be located?

Thanks...and yes the GPS is apparently in the Mass Storage mode, not that I have found any way to set it that way but everything says it goes to that mode when attached via the USB (and the USB symbol does appear on the screen). I can't help but comment that the Garmin owners manual is totally worthless IMO.

I tried today to load some new caches. I bought a new computer and when I updated to Windows 8.1 I could no longer load caches. The Send To Gps function would not work. It kept saying we did not have the Garmin Communicator plug-in. I installed it 4 times. I finally gave up and called Garmin and was told that IE11 does not support plug-ins. I then installed the plug-in while using Chrome and all is well again!

Thanks for this information, Msrubble. It is exactly what I was looking for. I added the geocaching.com to the list of sites and I am now able to download the geocaches individually. Thank you very much.

Edited by jeromehasbargen

A few more thoughts on the "Send to GPS" function.

1. All the communicator does (for any brand of GPS) is copy a one cache GPX file to the right location on the GPS. If it is not working, all you have to do to work around it is hit the "GPX file" button (It's to the left of the "Send to GPS" button) and then copy the GPX file created to the GPS manually.

2. "Send to GPS" only sends the geocache, not the waypoints such as parking spots, trailheads and additional stages of the cache. To get those, use a PQ. G-G gave some good tips on previewing the results. The easiest PQ can be done from the map screen. Set it to include the caches that you want and click on "Save As Pocket Query" at the bottom of the left-side pop out.

3. Almost every GPS has a limit on the number of GPX files that it will read. It will not take long to exceed that limit loading one cache per file. Again, use PQs.

Edited by fishgeek

A few more thoughts on the "Send to GPS" function.

1. All the communicator does (for any brand of GPS) is copy a one cache GPX file to the right location on the GPS. If it is not working, all you have to do to work around it is hit the "GPX file" button (It's to the left of the "Send to GPS" button) and then copy the GPX file created to the GPS manually.

2. "Send to GPS" only sends the geocache, not the waypoints such as parking spots, trailheads and additional stages of the cache. To get those, use a PQ. G-G gave some good tips on previewing the results. The easiest PQ can be done from the map screen. Set it to include the caches that you want and click on "Save As Pocket Query" at the bottom of the left-side pop out.

3. Almost every GPS has a limit on the number of GPX files that it will read. It will not take long to exceed that limit loading one cache per file. Again, use PQs.

I have a Magellan GC and cannot get it to work with Windows 8. The Staples "geek", after spending 2 hrs trying to upload my GPS, got the GPS upload caches for about a day, but the GPS kept crashing. I needed to remove it from the USB port and plugging it into the UPB port. Now it doesnt work at all! I am so frustrated, I want to wipe the Windows 8 off the computer and replace it with Windows 7. I called Magellan last night. They said that sometimes the GC works on Windows 8 and other times it does not. They said that it is all GPS specific, and not sure why some work and others don't. I LOVE my Magellan GC's paperless system. Help!

I have a Magellan GC and cannot get it to work with Windows 8. The Staples "geek", after spending 2 hrs trying to upload my GPS, got the GPS upload caches for about a day, but the GPS kept crashing. I needed to remove it from the USB port and plugging it into the UPB port. Now it doesnt work at all! I am so frustrated, I want to wipe the Windows 8 off the computer and replace it with Windows 7. I called Magellan last night. They said that sometimes the GC works on Windows 8 and other times it does not. They said that it is all GPS specific, and not sure why some work and others don't. I LOVE my Magellan GC's paperless system. Help!

Have you tried a different browser? There are instructions above for fixing Internet Explorer 11 for geocaching, but it might be simpler to just install something else.

Also, you might want to try your GPS on a different computer. If it works, you know the problem is in your computer. If not, there might be a problem with the GC.

I've recently been having similar issues with Windows 8.1 --- used to be (as in last Fall) that I could connect my DeLorme GPS and "Send to GPS" very easily. Now I am constantly being asked to install the DeLorme plugin, which does not seem to work. I tried IE & Chrome. Finally I gave up and tried using our very old Apple laptop, started Safari, downloaded/installed the plugin, and bingo! Worked perfectly. So I think the problem is with Windows 8.1 not communicating correctly with the respectful GPS plugins.