We'll see how waterproof these caches are...

Rubbertoe

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I think it has been raining on most of the midwest for the past 20-30 hours straight. I've seen lots of flooding down south, and even around here we have flood watches. I wonder how many caches were damaged in the past few days.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

I was thinking the same thing last night. I just placed a cache in North Central OH (Where Eagles Soar, if you're interested) last weekend. I think that, if the rain lets up a little tomorrow, I'm going out to check on it, since there was no way to test it's waterproofness (I know it's not a word) before this 2 day straight rain.

My Dad stopped by my house last night and brought with him two fifty milimeter ammo boxes. I plan on using these for my first hides. So what does everyone know about these ammo boxes for caches. I know that people use them and all but have you all heard any complaints about them other than they attract the bomb squad? icon_smile.gif

My Dad stopped by my house last night and brought with him two fifty milimeter ammo boxes. I plan on using these for my first hides. So what does everyone know about these ammo boxes for caches. I know that people use them and all but have you all heard any complaints about them other than they attract the bomb squad? icon_smile.gif

Ammo cans rule! Especially where water is an issue. I have a bunch for non-geocaching purposes, from holding tools, toilet paper, electronics, etc. that you don't want to get wet no matter what.

There was a comment about the smell that they have in one thread, but many cachers like the old army smell!

I wish there were more ammo can caches around here, I am not sure some of the tupperware types will survive the winter here.

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

I haven't come across a ammo can cache yet but am sure I will with time. Glad to hear the positive info back about them. I figured once I have read how people liked them and used them for this that I would like to also. Rusting may be an issue but we will see.

They are cheap here is a link to where you can find them for a good price.

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Many of the caches here in Central OH are ammo boxes (it's pretty much a toss up when you go on a hunt....it'll either be an ammo box or tupperware). I have about 20 finds thus far between me and my team, and I've never found a wet ammo box, but I have found several wet tupperware. So that, in my opinion, is the way to go. Waterproof, easy to camo (already OD Green), lots of room inside, and cheap. I used one for the cache I just placed. I made sure to write the coordinates and geocaching website on the outside too, to help people locate it, and possibly give the bomb squad a course of action before blowing it up, if it were to ever come to that.

BTW, did you add that signature, or did someone do that for ya?

quote:

Many of the caches here in Central OH are ammo boxes (it's pretty much a toss up when you go on a hunt....it'll either be an ammo box or tupperware). I have about 20 finds thus far between me and my team, and I've never found a wet ammo box, but I have found several wet tupperware. So that, in my opinion, is the way to go. Waterproof, easy to camo (already OD Green), lots of room inside, and cheap. I used one for the cache I just placed. I made sure to write the coordinates and geocaching website on the outside too, to help people locate it, and possibly give the bomb squad a course of action before blowing it up, if it were to ever come to that.

quote:

I haven't come across a ammo can cache yet but am sure I will with time. Glad to hear the positive info back about them.

Yeah - if I had the financial means, I'd use a ammo box for all of my caches. It isn't that I can't afford it - but too many of my caches end up getting stolen, and I'm not into giving away ammo boxes. icon_smile.gif

This cache and this cache are actually the only two I have that are in ammo boxes. Lemme see... I guess I had two others in ammo boxes that were stolen. Yeah, I think 4 is all I've ever had. But anyway - I don't think you can get a better suited container, really.

toe.gif

quote:

I haven't come across a ammo can cache yet but am sure I will with time. Glad to hear the positive info back about them.

Yeah - if I had the financial means, I'd use a ammo box for all of my caches. It isn't that I can't afford it - but too many of my caches end up getting stolen, and I'm not into giving away ammo boxes. icon_smile.gif

This cache and this cache are actually the only two I have that are in ammo boxes. Lemme see... I guess I had two others in ammo boxes that were stolen. Yeah, I think 4 is all I've ever had. But anyway - I don't think you can get a better suited container, really.

toe.gif

quote:
Originally posted by M&M Speedracers:

I did that all by myself. It was a lot easier than haveing a pic with an embeded link in it. Not that, that was all that hard but I did not have the patience to figure it out for a second time. The reason for the sig, not sure but I do know that it helps humble me by making it known who I am. icon_wink.gif

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

quote:
Originally posted by M&M Speedracers:

I did that all by myself. It was a lot easier than haveing a pic with an embeded link in it. Not that, that was all that hard but I did not have the patience to figure it out for a second time. The reason for the sig, not sure but I do know that it helps humble me by making it known who I am. icon_wink.gif

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I would imagine ammo boxes are prime targets for theft. If it can be avoided, it might be wise not to say in your description if it's an ammo can.

A couple of weekends ago, I was coming south down US-23 in Michigan, and I stopped in a little "Indian" gift shop. There were about 10 ammo boxes piled up outside. I asked inside how much they were, and the woman wasn't sure, had to check with her father-in-law or someone. Later she said she couldn't reach him, so $1 each sounded fine!!! Only 4 were in good condition, so naturally I grabbed them. I only have plans for one so far, but it's nice to have them at the ready.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Thats a great price. Where they 50mm? and where is the store since I live pretty close to 23 north of AA.

In my experience's almost all the tupperware containers I have found that have been out for a while have had a moisture issue. It may be geocachers getting in a hurry and not sealing the container properly or the temperature change causing it to expand and contract but something always seems to happen to them. Though if everything is sealed in ziplocs it usually doesn't hurt anything. I have also seen animals chew them up.

That's why the 2 caches I have placed I used ammo cans. As for the concern of rusting as long as you don't sand all the paint off and leave the metal bare they should last a really long time.

Also the local flea markets are usually a good place to look for ammo cans. I got mine for five bucks each. You can find good deals online also but after shipping costs you might not save so much.

quote:

Yeah I wasn't sure if you decided to do that, or if someone was being mean due to all of the "controversy" lately. icon_cool.gif

quote:

Yeah I wasn't sure if you decided to do that, or if someone was being mean due to all of the "controversy" lately. icon_cool.gif

Hit 3 today, all 3 were rubbermaid/tupperware, all 3 in overall good shape. 1 was actually a container inside a container, not a hint of moisture on the inside. Maybe if you go the tupperware route, doubling up might help. The thing to really avoid are the cheap plastic shoeboxes... found one of those once, looked like it did squat to keep water out.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

Every ammo can I have found has been bone dry even after all the current rain. However the disposable glad containers have all been damp to soaking wet. I don't think they hold up to all the use as well. I wonder if painting the ammo cans would alleviate some of the uninformed concerns. Just a thought, since the color is part of the advantage of the ammo cans. . .

Hey, here's an idea. Why don't you hide the ammo box with the cigars still in the ammo can. The reward for finding the cache is you get a nice cigar that you can savor after the find. No trade. You can post the cache this way to avoid the naysayers.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Hey, here's an idea. Why don't you hide the ammo box _with_ the cigars still in the ammo can. The reward for finding the cache is you get a nice cigar that you can savor after the find. No trade. You can post the cache this way to avoid the naysayers.

Alan

You're feeling brave icon_wink.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Hey, here's an idea. Why don't you hide the ammo box _with_ the cigars still in the ammo can. The reward for finding the cache is you get a nice cigar that you can savor after the find. No trade. You can post the cache this way to avoid the naysayers.

Alan

You're feeling brave icon_wink.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum