Geo Coin Card

LordRhoads

Here in El Paso, I've been seeing a lot of "Geo-coin cards". I have a couple of questions, as I think it's a great idea to keep your coin from being stolen. First, if you send out a card, is it acceptable to continue to visit caches with your coin, or should you just let your card do all the traveling? Second, what is everybody's thoughts on these? I think it's a great idea when you live in an area (like I do) where coins go missing all the time. I like the fact that I can share my coin with others, without having to worry about it being stolen.

Personally I prefer to find something a little better than a card copy of a coin.

like this insert picture key rings or something like that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harts-INSERT-YOUR-PHOTO-KEYRING/dp/B004INLGYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389086952&sr=8-1&keywords=picture+keyring

I don't pick up the card ones are they end up tatty and easy to rip after a little rain. :/ especially if the cache they've been placed in isn't very good.

edit because it's obviously too early in the morning and I can't link pictures to save my life… sorry

Edited by sparklefingers

What you're referring to are commonly known as "Proxies". Sometimes they are photos of the front and back of the coin laminated together with a washer in between to give it some heft. Other times they are just cards as you describe. It's perfectly okay to put out a "Proxy" but if you don't want to stir the irritation of the cacher who was really really expecting to find the real deal it's advisable to include the word "Proxy" in the name as a fore-warning.

However the use of both a Proxy and the original in the tracking system can be a problem. Trackables aren't supposed to be in multiple locations at the same time. If your proxy is a cache or someone's hand while you let folks log discoveries of the original hundreds of miles away you could be accused of running multiple travelers on the same tracking number and that's a no-no. If discovered your traveler's travel page can be frozen... permanently, by the powers that be. It's the equivalence of having that tracking number arrested and imprisoned.

So, it's either one or the other but not both.

Droo provided a great response with details.

There are a lot of folks, myself included, who feel like finding a proxy is like kissing your sister. :anibad:

I like the fact that I can share my coin with others, without having to worry about it being stolen.

For me, this isn't true at all. You're not sharing your COIN. You're sharing a picture of your coin. I've seen hundreds of pictures of the Mona Lisa but it's not nearly the same as seeing it in person.

I'm of the mindset of: If you want to share your coin, great - set it free and keep your fingers crossed. If you are afraid of it getting stolen, don't set it free.

I've set free MANY coins over the years and had some travel well, some go missing after a time, and some go missing immediately for who-knows-what-reason.

It's part of the game and a risk that *I* am willing to take to share coins with others. Your tolerance may be different.

What you're referring to are commonly known as "Proxies". Sometimes they are photos of the front and back of the coin laminated together with a washer in between to give it some heft. Other times they are just cards as you describe. It's perfectly okay to put out a "Proxy" but if you don't want to stir the irritation of the cacher who was really really expecting to find the real deal it's advisable to include the word "Proxy" in the name as a fore-warning.

However the use of both a Proxy and the original in the tracking system can be a problem. Trackables aren't supposed to be in multiple locations at the same time. If your proxy is a cache or someone's hand while you let folks log discoveries of the original hundreds of miles away you could be accused of running multiple travelers on the same tracking number and that's a no-no. If discovered your traveler's travel page can be frozen... permanently, by the powers that be. It's the equivalence of having that tracking number arrested and imprisoned.

So, it's either one or the other but not both.

Not sure that "either one or the other but not both" is correct anymore. GS has been adding 'copy tags' to nearly all their recent releases in the Geocaching Shop. The new HQ Lackey coin, Robot, Zombie Hunter, Earthcache 10, Snow Globe, and many more. In all of their sales pages that I can recall they advertise: "This set includes a companion travel tag with matching tracking code. You can send the tag out on an adventure and keep this special coin in your collection."

They clearly must expect cachers to send the tag out to travel and the 'real deal' to be 'discovered' in the owner's collection. A discovery of the real coin does not alter the mileage records and really shouldn't be a concern. I think their objection is to MULTIPLE items out traveling under one identical tracking number. That only happens when a coin/tag is released and quickly disappears, a copy/proxy is released too soon and disappears, then another is sent out ... and all of a sudden all 3 re-appear and are receiving multiple logs and incorrect mileage accumulations.

-----------------------

I'm one of those who does not mind finding a proxy ... as long as it has been identified in the title as being a proxy. With the cost of coins increasing rapidly, fewer and fewer coins will be released, imo. As buyers and collectors of coins, we want, even demand, ever increasing creativity and complicated production qualities in the coins. That increases the costs and makes sending them out even more unlikely and makes them even more appealing to thieves.

Moving travelers, whatever they are, is part of the game I enjoy. If I really want to see what a coin looks like ... Google images is my friend ... not a cache with a likely 'proxy' copy. But that's just me ...

Not to hijack the topic but are there any "generic" coins out there which "collectors" (read: thieves) wont be interested in keeping (like the TB tags but in coins). So that the average Joe can send out a coin in the hopes of it not being stolen, vs a fancy limited edition one?

Yes, try GxProxy. They have a good selection of anodized aluminum 'coins' that work well for this.

Edited by nevadanick

Not to hijack the topic but are there any "generic" coins out there which "collectors" (read: thieves) wont be interested in keeping (like the TB tags but in coins). So that the average Joe can send out a coin in the hopes of it not being stolen, vs a fancy limited edition one?

Yes, try GxProxy. They have a good selection of anodized aluminum 'coins' that work well for this.

http://www.shop.gxproxy.com/

Spanks :)

I just can't get into proxies. I mean, they aren't different than TBs really but there's just something about them that doesn't feel right. It's like buying a Porsche but not taking it out of the garage.

The thing I know about Geocoins is that these items are a lot (A LOT) cheaper in the USA then in other countries.

(For example in Europe some cost 2 times as much.)

I have no problem with people sending out something different and use the trackable number of the Geocoin they bought. After all, if I buy a TB then mostly they travel with a toy attached or something. If you take a Geocoins number and make yourself something to travel around it is basicly the same. Only the item has a picture when you log it.

Droo provided a great response with details.

There are a lot of folks, myself included, who feel like finding a proxy is like kissing your sister. :anibad:

I like the fact that I can share my coin with others, without having to worry about it being stolen.

For me, this isn't true at all. You're not sharing your COIN. You're sharing a picture of your coin. I've seen hundreds of pictures of the Mona Lisa but it's not nearly the same as seeing it in person.

I'm of the mindset of: If you want to share your coin, great - set it free and keep your fingers crossed. If you are afraid of it getting stolen, don't set it free.

I've set free MANY coins over the years and had some travel well, some go missing after a time, and some go missing immediately for who-knows-what-reason.

It's part of the game and a risk that *I* am willing to take to share coins with others. Your tolerance may be different.

This is our sentiment as well. Not a fan of proxies, its a total let down to see that a interesting coin is in a cache online, only to go there and find a wet piece of paper or a laminated photo. The trend of coins sold with copy tags is slightly appealing. This way the geocoin owner get to keep their sweet coin, while the tag can travel in caches and somewhat resembles the experience of finding the actual coin. Every coin we have released ends up missing. Its the risk we take. The copy tags make interesting coins even more appealing, but then again knowing you found a copy rather than the actual coin feels like a pitty date. :anicute:

This is our sentiment as well. Not a fan of proxies, its a total let down to see that a interesting coin is in a cache online, only to go there and find a wet piece of paper or a laminated photo.

But if we send out the real Coin, it will go missing raly fast. Then you will have plenty of caches that list an intresting Coin that is, in real life, not there. :)

The trend of coins sold with copy tags is slightly appealing. This way the geocoin owner get to keep their sweet coin, while the tag can travel in caches and somewhat resembles the experience of finding the actual coin. Every coin we have released ends up missing. Its the risk we take. The copy tags make interesting coins even more appealing, but then again knowing you found a copy rather than the actual coin feels like a pitty date. :anicute:

So if somebody makes there own copy, it is not okey.

But if "Groundspeak" makes a copy tag to release it is okey?

I don't understand that one... :unsure:

Edited by #Tenzin

This is our sentiment as well. Not a fan of proxies, its a total let down to see that a interesting coin is in a cache online, only to go there and find a wet piece of paper or a laminated photo.

But if we send out the real Coin, it will go missing raly fast. Then you will have plenty of caches that list an intresting Coin that is, in real life, not there. :)

The trend of coins sold with copy tags is slightly appealing. This way the geocoin owner get to keep their sweet coin, while the tag can travel in caches and somewhat resembles the experience of finding the actual coin. Every coin we have released ends up missing. Its the risk we take. The copy tags make interesting coins even more appealing, but then again knowing you found a copy rather than the actual coin feels like a pitty date. :anicute:

So if somebody makes there own copy, it is not okey.

But if "Groundspeak" makes a copy tag to release it is okey?

I don't understand that one... :unsure:

Grounspeak does not make the geocoins. They have vendors make them. Additional vendors make geocoins that are not sold on shop.geocaching.com It doesn't matter who makes the tag if it brings the same experience as finding the coin. A tag like this is close, but not quite the same as holding the coin

$(KGrHqVHJC8FCcCn2ghOBRRUsqz3mw~~60_35.JPG

Its a let down when you find a tag/proxy like this

28263fc7-5506-479d-819d-0e0bda671a89.jpg

If we wanted to see a picture of the coin we know how to use the internet. :sad: We want to hold the coin in our hands! We have watched the movie "Princess and the Frog" and know what happens when the frog is not a prince... :yikes:

Okey, I now get your point. :)

But then:

If you buy a Geocoin and keep that one at home.

Then you let the number travel on something else, then that item becomes a Trackable and not a Geocoin.

So calling it a Trackable would be better.

I do agree that finding a laminated copy of a Geocoin doesn't look to apealing to take it travel with you. Personaly I haven't seen many "laminated photo's" of Geocoins traveling around. Only 1, and I left that one in the cache, but I did log a "discover".

From my experience in my country I have seen more Trackables that where created by a Cacher. Like they buy a Geocoin. And becasue Geocoins cost some money (in my country there are 2x more expensive as from Groundspeak), they use the number of the Geocoin and create something themselves. I have seen a couple of Fimo Clay Coins traveling around (I have also 2) or wood ones where people engraved pictures on it. But here people spend time in making Trackables. So they still look fancy, and that you want to take them to travel with you. But again, I haven't seen many "laminated Geocoin photo's".

Also on the Trackable page here it is clearly noted that these are Trackables made themselves by people. Like a own made name, pictures of the Trackable creation.

Edited by #Tenzin