Plotting Routes

Kurtcat

Hi Cachers,

Well after a lazy couple of years really where i've not done much Geocaching i've started 2014 with a renewed interest and determination.

My question is how do fellow cachers plot the route they are going to take on a days caching, i might be doing things in a long winded and roundabout way hence the question?

My GPS is a Garmin Oregon 300, probably a bit slow now but still working fine, my preparations are:

1) Decide where i am going to cache (i really quite like circulars)

2) Go to Grough Route and plot the course leading to the caches as a route

3) Download route to Garmin

4) Normal PQ for caches

My Garmin doesnt have the OS map pack so i find plotting the route helps with footpaths etc although i have still found myself wrong side of the fence in a field :huh: . I've also found Grough Route a bit temperamental at times too!!

Happy New Year Folks :D

If you use firefox then you can use the brilliant Geocaching Map Enhancement plugin that bring full 1:25000 OS maps for free. There is a tool on it where you can plot a route and down load a gpx file. You can use Garmins Free Basecamp to convert it into a track if your gps doesn't use routes.

I have an Oregon 600.

I simply print out an OS map (using the Geocaching Map Enhancement plug in) which shows the caches in the area of interest. Then I manually decide the route/order of caches.

Then in the field I just route to the next cache. (Having loaded a pocket query of caches in the area).

I've not tried to create a route in advance on the GPS.

Using Firefox and GME maps, like another user I then plot out the walk and save it as a'route*.gpx' file (where route* is a name you give it). Then download the caches to be visited in the walk (save to the same place as the route*.gpx for ease). Then using a program for free, called EasyGPS open the 'route*.gpx file, then each cache.gpx you downloaded. Copy and paste the cache into the route page so the map on the right shows your route (waypoints and pink lines for the route) and the geocaches.

Here I delete the route as programmed (the scroll down option for route on the left, click route then right click, click on delete route.)It will remove the pink lines but leave the waypoints and caches displayed. This is so you can then replot the route but include the caches in the route also using the route selector at the top. Then 'save as' the route*.gpx used earlier, only now it contains your caches.

Its a good little program once you get used to it. I have used this method to plot routes including caches for lots of walks in the Lakes and Peak districts.

It allows you to change the symbols for the waypoints to summits etc. There is no map in the background though, but for free and considering you've plotted it out on the GME map, it works a treat.

I dare say there may be a slightly quicker way of doing using GME and EasyGPS, but I have yet to find it and this works for me.

Hope this may help.

Any help needed, contact me through my profile.

I'm glad to hear folk find the route feature in Geocaching Maps Enhancements helpful. One less obvious feature of the script is that you can use it to display GPX files produced by other programs. With GME enabled, you should be able to drag'n'drop files from your desktop onto the geocaching.com map. I've not had much feedback on these features so far, so if you've any suggestions on how they could be made better, let me know. If you don't already use GME, you can find out more at http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm

Myself, I only tend to plot routes to figure out rough distances for longer walks or bike rides (often after I'm back!) I don't bother with plotting a fixed route as I will vary it depending on how time is going, and what the conditions look like on the day. I tend to use a combination of OS maps and aerial photography to plan out rough routes in my head, then the c:geo Android app to navigate in the field. I have it pre-loaded with OpenStreetMap vector maps from OpenAndroMaps (free, donations requested).