Difference: GC vs TB

Rat_Tails

Hi everyone, I'm new here (haven't even introduced myself, I apologise!)

Just had a quick question I couldn't find an answer to:

What's the difference between a Geocoin and a Travel Bug besides the looks....

Is one more likely to be kept (stolen) than the other? I'd like to send out a Geocoin but maybe a TB would be a "safer" option? Thoughts?

Hi, Rat Tails! I'm pretty new to the forums as well.

In my experience, Geocoins are more likely to be kept/stolen because they are more of a "collectable" type. However, a cute Travel Bug (like a stuffed animal or toy) is just as likely to kept as well. Snoogans' TB Longevity Clinic topic is a good place to go for tips on keeping a TB from disappearing, but in the end, you just have to send it out in the world to see what happens. IMO, a TB that's not particularly cute would be a safer option.

I hope this was helpful... :) and welcome to the forums!

~toodalooo2

There are no "safer" options. If you're not willing to see it go or get lost you really ought not leave something "valuable" unattended in a tupperware container in the woods.

If you think about it the whole notion of minting shiny colorful objects, or buying them, to leave in public places defies the increasingly common understanding of modern day human beings. Of course there are exceptions and all you can hope for is that those humans, the exceptions, are going to be the ones finding your "shiny pretty" and moving it/them along. And if you're an optimist you will release your "treasures" with the faith that those less considerate individuals are really few and far between and less likely to interfere with its travels. It's really a matter of personal perspective.

Good luck.

Travel Bugs refer to the tags people attach to another object and are of a pretty generic design, with only a code and the Geocaching.com info on it. What makes each one distinct is the object attached to it and the "mission" associated with it (assigned by the owner).

Geocoins are unique coins or tokens that are more often than not traveling "alone" (i.e., not attached to anything...although they sometimes are). Often they are one of a kind or of a limited run, meaning there are not many others like them. The design of geocoin itself is what makes it distinct from other trackables. They generally are metal and roughly the size and shape of a small to large coin.

Cool thanks guys :) I liked the Traveling 2c Geocoin I saw online, doesn't say anything about being limited run or anything.

I do realise that anything I release into the wild has the possibility of being stolen, I was just wondering what the differences were.

Based on your comments, I'd presume a TB is a safer bet to send out, since there isnt much collectable about them except the stuffie they're attached to.

I appreciate all the help guys :) And the welcome!

Fewer and fewer cachers release geocoins to travel these days.

It used to be a (fairly) common practice to drill a small hole through the rim of a geocoin before releasing it - to put a small split ring through it and attach a laminated 'mission tag' explaining what it was/how to log it. The idea was that by drilling the coin it made it less attractive to unofficial geocoin collectors (i.e. geocoin thieves <_< ) I still have a few drilled geocoins out wandering the world...

MrsB :)

Fewer and fewer cachers release geocoins to travel these days.

It used to be a (fairly) common practice to drill a small hole through the rim of a geocoin before releasing it - to put a small split ring through it and attach a laminated 'mission tag' explaining what it was/how to log it. The idea was that by drilling the coin it made it less attractive to unofficial geocoin collectors (i.e. geocoin thieves <_< ) I still have a few drilled geocoins out wandering the world...

MrsB :)

I still think this is a good practice and still do this with the coins I release. I like to think that it helps people realize they aren't to be kept but sometimes they still get lost, forgotten about, etc.