Strange Idea I Had Today

First up, let me tell you about myself.

I am a 19 year old musician.

I very often busk on weekends in Launceston, TAS.

Today, as I was walking around my local area, I had a thought.

What if I was a cache?

Then I thought no, that's ridiculous - but what if;

I host one of those "event caches."

I go busking, with a logbook and pen on my person.

Cachers must find me busking, and request a certain song followed by a keyword (if this goes ahead, I'll be learning The Fray's "You Found Me").

Once this is said, I give them the logbook and pen, they sign it and give it back.

Still a couple of possible kinks in this plan but, as a whole, what are your thoughts?

What if I was a cache?

Cachers must find me busking, and request a certain song followed by a keyword (if this goes ahead, I'll be learning The Fray's "You Found Me").

Once this is said, I give them the logbook and pen, they sign it and give it back.

Still a couple of possible kinks in this plan but, as a whole, what are your thoughts?

No one is required to throw change into the hat, correct?

Provide coordinates and I don't see this idea any sillier than some of the flash mob ideas I've seen.

A few concerns:

1) For any cache, you cannot require people to do anything besides signing the logbook. It can be an optional activity, but can't be required. For event caches, I *think* that signing the logbook is no longer required.

2) From the guidelines:

If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community, and/or it would take place regardless whether or not it is listed on Geocaching.com, it is likely not an event cache. Examples include music festivals, neighborhood or block parties, and organized sporting events.

3) Also from the guidelines:

Cache listings perceived as commercial will not be published. A commercial cache listing has one or more of the following characteristics:

1. It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

2. It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

3. It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas.

4. It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

5. It contains the name of a business or commercial product.

Although I realize it's not your intention, it may be perceived that you are encouraging people to come and give you money.

I don't want to discourage you all-together. Best thing is to contact your reviewer and see if you can work with them to make your proposed event meets the guidelines.

No one is required to throw change into the hat, correct?

it may be perceived that you are encouraging people to come and give you money.

In the details, I would be letting people that giving money is not a requirement.

In fact, for the purpose of the cache, it is discouraged - meeting other cachers, to me, is much more valuable than money.

They simply request the song (so I know they are cachers), they sign the logsheet, and we leave it at that. They don't even have to listen to me wail. ;)

The_Incredibles, as far as the guidelines, I would not be conflicting with any of those listed.

Even event caches cannot have Additional Logging Requirements (ALR). You find the cache, you attend the event you get your smiley. No need to put on the tin foil hat or phoon for a photo op, or request a special song to be able to log it. You do not even need to sign the log book to claim you attended an event.

But you could stalk your local caching community and put out your hat and perform at their events.

Edited by wimseyguy

You could carry a personal trackable that people discover on meeting you - that works fine. You can add ALR to getting the tracking code if you want (ALR = must request particular song - this wouldn't actually work ;-) but there's no guideline violation in trying it...)

If you're terribly ambitious about this, get a trackable tattoo! that gets a special trackable icon, and increases cacher desire to log it.

3966.gif

Event caches are gatherings

That's the definition of Event cache, from the guidelines. http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event

To facilitate gathering, events take place at a set of coords, a specific location, for a particular (if sometimes rather vague) duration in time.

You and someone who manages to bump into you at some point in time and space over the course of a weekend is not a gathering.

And caches published on Geocaching.com must meet a gps use requirement. GPS use is the basis of the game. Your plan has no gps use.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#coordinates

edit, my typo on "facilitate" got made over into affiliate by spellchecker - whoop

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Even event caches cannot have Additional Logging Requirements (ALR). You find the cache, you attend the event you get your smiley. No need to put on the tin foil hat or phoon for a photo op, or request a special song to be able to log it. You do not even need to sign the log book to claim you attended an event.

But you could stalk your local caching community and put out your hat and perform at their events.

But you can have a theme. I had a Pie Potluck on Pi Day, I could encourage people of bring pies but I couldn't require them to. So I don't see a problem with hosting an event that would have live music. The only problem I can see is scheduling, generally you need to have the Event Cache submitted at least 2 weeks in advance of the date of the event.

it is always cool to get new and crasy ideas,

dont ever stop think creative ideas, even if they dont directly fit this game, they might fit another game,

here is one work arround :

get a TB, as mentionened before it can be a tattoo or just a neckhanger or tshirt code or bagpack code,

either way the page of the TB can explain where and when it is possible to find the TB,

this is legal TB behaviour..

now your TB code, could also hold the secret code for a puzzle,

when the TB is discovered, they get access to a cache in the same area,

bingo you got what you wanted.

many simple tricks to make TB codes into cords exist.

some even works with out math or any hard to calculate tasks.

now your TB code, could also hold the secret code for a puzzle,

when the TB is discovered, they get access to a cache in the same area,

bingo you got what you wanted.

many simple tricks to make TB codes into cords exist.

some even works with out math or any hard to calculate tasks.

I would not publish a cache that depended on meeting the cache owner in person. It's against the listing guidelines to require that interaction.

But you can have a theme. I had a Pie Potluck on Pi Day, I could encourage people of bring pies but I couldn't require them to. So I don't see a problem with hosting an event that would have live music. The only problem I can see is scheduling, generally you need to have the Event Cache submitted at least 2 weeks in advance of the date of the event.

Yes, themed events are great. I was responding to his statement that you had to request a specific song in order to get the log book from him.

As an aside, I ran the food service at the state Natural Science museum for 12 years. We had a lot of fun with Pi Day there.

So long as you provide the coordinates for where you will be sitting, and make it obvious which busker you are in the crowd so that people can "flash mob" you there and claim an "attended", I can see this working.

-If you require a "password" (a certain song heard or requested), it won't fly.

-If you don't give coordinates for where the event occurs, it won't fly

I like the idea, but be sure to gear it toward the guideline requiements.

Here's an idea:

Hold your event, but do it as a flash mob. Set the spot and the time. Be sure to tell everyone in the cache page how to identify you and your "spot". At the designated time, you employ the geocacher flash mob to sing a song that they all might know. You suddenly have a choir of cachers who attended, you get a fun spectacle, and the event goes off well. Once the song is complete, you have them sign a logbook, and they head on their way.

If you don't have a specific time to meet, it won't work out well. If the goal isn't to promote community or meeting other cachers, but instead to have them find a "secret" person, it isn't likely to get published.

Just my 2 cents. I like the idea, but it can and should be refined.

What if I was a cache?

I've had a similar idea. I would set up a cache page and every so often (with a few weeks notice) I would post the coords to a location I was to be at for lets say 3 hours. I would simply sit at that location with logbook in hand (and a few travelers) and wait for anyone to find me. You could post different locations each time. No permission necessary as long as the location had public access.

Great way to meet other cachers and introduce people to locations that you normaly couldn't place a physical cache.

What if I was a cache?

I've had a similar idea. I would set up a cache page and every so often (with a few weeks notice) I would post the coords to a location I was to be at for lets say 3 hours. I would simply sit at that location with logbook in hand (and a few travelers) and wait for anyone to find me. You could post different locations each time. No permission necessary as long as the location had public access.

Great way to meet other cachers and introduce people to locations that you normaly couldn't place a physical cache.

An event cache, right?

Be sure to understand the "cache permanence" guidelines.

They have the travel bug car decals and patches so I wonder if anyone's ever come up with a travel bug shirt, hoodie, etc.... Time do do my post comment internet research.

Geocoin fest in Las Vegas had a trackable shirt and we are selling a trackable shirt at our Mega Event. You can actually buy tracking numbers straight from Ground Speak and make your own merchandise. It is really quite interesting. A few rules not many.

I like the simple TB idea best.

I would track down your a** if I happened to be in your town.

Interested parties could watch your TB for updates on future locations/dates.

Becoming aware of your TB would need to be 'word-of-mouth', though.

I'm betting the word would get around. B)

I agree and would put the tracking code on the back of the guitar. You can show it whenever you want. You can post a note on the trackable page letting people know where you will be performing. Also there is nothing stopping you from also hosting events from time to time. I too would also seek out the opportunity to see you perform if it wasn't for that big body of water to cross. :)

What if I was a cache?

An event cache, right?

I would also like clarity. An event cache or a geocache?

What if I was a cache?

This sounds like the since disbanded and grandfathered "Moving Cache" from years ago... So I would say unless you can find some obscure loop hole, its a good idea that will not be allowed as per the current guidelines.

I have been to several "Meet and Greet" events that were put on by cachers just wanting to meet other cachers. Some were put on by cachers from out-of-town or even out-of-country. All were pretty well attended and everyone had a good time.

The cache page coords take you to a you meeting place - can be a coffee house, fast food place, or Park, or ??? - anywhere a group can get together and socialize for a couple of hours. It helps if food & drinks are available or nearby.

Rather than me trying to explain more - take a look at this one - We'd Like to Meet You

Put on in Canada by a couple from England - everyone had a great time.

Edited by Olddffart

What if I was a cache?

An event cache, right?

I would also like clarity. An event cache or a geocache?

Nope wouldn't work according to Groundspeak. "Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published." Bummer.

OKAY.

Thanks so much for the ideas here, guys. I appreciate it so much.

So, from the information provided here, here's my new, refined idea.

Travel Bug decal on my guitar (which I plan on doing regardless now, I love the idea so much).

I create a Mystery/Puzzle cache. Basically, the cache clues would say, in one way or another, that there is a TB code on my guitar (a little more cryptic, obviously).

Once they find the TB code (which will be easy enough to get, for sure), they can track the TB code to find co-ordinates to the cache itself.

How's that?

OKAY.

Travel Bug decal on my guitar (which I plan on doing regardless now, I love the idea so much).

I create a Mystery/Puzzle cache. Basically, the cache clues would say, in one way or another, that there is a TB code on my guitar (a little more cryptic, obviously).

Once they find the TB code (which will be easy enough to get, for sure), they can track the TB code to find co-ordinates to the cache itself.

How ('s that?

Unless your guitar is staying at some fixed point, and you have no plans of ever seeing it again (assuming it's pilfered when it's unattended), I would say that this violates the "interaction with the cache owner" in the following Help Center article:

Puzzle/Mystery/Unkown

Relevant text:

The information needed to find the geocache must be available to the general caching community. For example, a puzzle that requires research on public websites may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires email to the geocache owner with the solution to obtain the coordinates, or for other information necessary to the solution will not be .

So I go to a show and see a TB code on the guitar. Being a Geocacher, I recognize what it is and go home after the show & log the TB. How will tracking the TB code give me coordinates to a cache? Will there be a set of coordinates posted on that TB page?

OKAY.

How's that?

Setting up a cache is different.

Start with the travel bug decal on the guitar. You can update the Travel Bug Page with the coordinates and dates you will be performing. If I wanted to see you perform, I would check-out your travel bug page and see when and where I might find you.

In addition, you could set-up an event from time to time for cachers to meet and hear you perform (and maybe join-in a jam session). It would be cool to attract other musician/cachers. Non musician cachers may just like to listen and chat.

If you really want to do a cache, set-up a cache at a location you regularly play. It would be fun to be performing and from time to time see someone snooping around.

Edited by Sharks-N-Beans

It would perhaps be better to disregard my mystery cache then.

I like the placing a cache idea, but unfortunately, busking weather is Muggly with a 95% chance of spotted.

There is also a cache less than 162m away.

Event cache may be the go!

Yeah. If you could hide a physical container you might be able to make it fly as a Mystery/Unknown cache.

We have a Mystery cache in our area that you can only get the coordinates for if you happen to find one of the two or three cards that float around the city. The cards have the coordinates for the physical cache and they get moved from cache to cache by cachers. You never know where the cards are at any given time. You can see who has found the final cache and then see what caches they did recently and check out those caches to see if you can find the card or not, but that's about it. It's all luck after that.

We also had a Mystery cache here where the container was locked. If you browsed the list of past trackables that were in the cache, you saw one was called "The Key" and if you went to that TB's page it had the coordinates where the key to the lock was hidden.

In your case, the TB code is on your guitar. Anyone who can find the code (say by finding the location where you are busking) could go to the TB's page where the coordinates for the Mystery cache are listed.

DISCLAIMER: There is no precedent for placing caches so, while these examples (do/used to) exist, there is no guarantee your cache would be published. You need to work with your local reviewer.

Putting all or part of the coordinates for a mystery/puzzle cache onto trackables that move around "in the wild" is fine. I would publish such a cache if submitted today.

The difference here is that the trackable would be in the owner's possession at all times. This requires interaction with the cache owner and thus distinguishes it from DanOCan's example. I would not publish a cache based on information only obtainable by seeing the trackable guitar.

Putting all or part of the coordinates for a mystery/puzzle cache onto trackables that move around "in the wild" is fine. I would publish such a cache if submitted today.

The difference here is that the trackable would be in the owner's possession at all times. This requires interaction with the cache owner and thus distinguishes it from DanOCan's example. I would not publish a cache based on information only obtainable by seeing the trackable guitar.

Ahhh. Yes, if the finder had to interact with the OP/CO to get the code, that would be against guidelines. But who's to say the finder has to go to the OP/CO? I go to his profile and I can see all trackables he owns-including viewing the description that potentially has co-ords to a cache.

So it would the finders choice to take 2 minutes on the computer, or drive for 15 minutes, search for the OP/CO, not find him, so they come back another day, to find him.

Edited by T.D.M.22