GPS Overseas: Fees?

markannab

Hi

I use a simple phone-based A-GPS on my Nokia E72. There are no maps - it's just a pointer and a distance to GZ. Two years ago, I was on a cruise. The only phone signal was the ships satellite-based signal which showed up on my screen. As I understand it, I would be unable to access that signal and make calls unless I payed for a package, which I didn't do.

While in the middle of the ocean, I thought I'd log onto the GPS but received a warning: "Continuing may incur significant fees" (or similar message). "Assisted" GPS was enabled which somehow uses the phone network to establish a faster connection. So I turned that off but received the same warning. I wasn't game to proceed and gave up. I'm on another cruise shortly and realized there's a FTF cache on an uninhabited island the ship is visiting in what is part of the Vanuatu group of islands off of Australia. I want to use that same phone to locate that cache.

Is that warning just a generic one because the phone is picking up on the ships signal and assumes I'll be connecting to it? Surely, by turning off the "Assisted" part of the GPS, the phone will work like a traditional non-phone GPS unit. I did use the phone in an area with no phone signal recently and it connected to the satellites fine - no message and no need for a phone network.

If there's doubt, I wonder if I can use the GPS with the SIM removed just to be sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mark.

Actually you should try it at home.

The assisted part makes a cross reference from the cellphonetowers to get a location and most of the phones having this don't work without.

You might be able to block the data transfer on your phone, but you have to be sure, cruiselines are not very cellphone roaming price friendly.

If you're not sure pull the sim indeed.

Hi Splashy

Thanks for your reply. I've taken your advice and disabled A-GPS. I went outside and it did connect, though a little more slowly than normal. So I'm guessing that, without that enabled, there would be no reason for any charges to be applied since it's not seeking out phone networks in any manner. It's just a little unsettling when that warning comes up.

Thanks again,

Mark.

Edited by markannab

Hi Splashy

Thanks for your reply. I've taken your advice and disabled A-GPS. I went outside and it did connect, though a little more slowly than normal. So I'm guessing that, without that enabled, there would be no reason for any charges to be applied since it's not seeking out phone networks in any manner. It's just a little unsettling when that warning comes up.

Thanks again,

Mark.

Does putting the phone into "airplane mode" disable the GPS receiver? If not, that would be the safest way to use it.

Does putting the phone into "airplane mode" disable the GPS receiver? If not, that would be the safest way to use it.

I have used the gpsr on my phone in airplane mde, and that should be safe. Try using the gpsr at home with it on and check out how fast you can find the satellites. If you want to use wifi, just make sure that cellular data and roaming is turned off.