Logging a find without text

glenn3ie

Folks,

I notice that when I go into a specific cache you are told how many finds there are (e.g. 500) but there may only be 20 posts. Presumably this means that some are logging their finds without inserting text. How is this possible? I would like to keep track of the number of finds I have online however I don't wish to post about every cache I visit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

G

You can't log without text. It just doesn't show all logs, but you can load more.

You shouldn't log without text. You can't even say thanks for the cache? And if someone does that to my cache I will assume it's a mistake because it doesn't say anything to the effect that the cache has found, and it will be deleted.

Where is it that you are seeing this inconsistency?

I looked at your last 10 caches logged, and they all seem to display the logs correctly to me (one of which was 502 logs).

Is this noticed on a phone or at a computer terminal?

EDIT to add: I too, have a small problem with not "wishing to post...". Don't visit any of my caches if that is your method of thanking me for my time, effort, expense or trouble.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Usually the logs are not loaded all at once by the browser, but gradually, when you scroll down, the next amount of logs is requested from the server. An 20 logs sounds like the initial amount when opening the logs.So depending on the operating system, browser, version, line speed or even security settings (Java Script enabled), this behaviour might be impaired. You should at least see something like 'loading more logs' in the bottom line of the log subwindow. If not, try another browser, or, with IE10 or above, try to set different compatibility settings.

Just my ideas ...

Folks,

I notice that when I go into a specific cache you are told how many finds there are (e.g. 500) but there may only be 20 posts. Presumably this means that some are logging their finds without inserting text. How is this possible? I would like to keep track of the number of finds I have online however I don't wish to post about every cache I visit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

G

Wow. I put quite a bit of time into making and placing my caches for folks to find. In fact working on a series of letterboxes 37 to be exact. For these I purchased containers, duct tape, stamps, log books, pens, card stock for the caches and letter punches for a separate game with this series. I will be most upset with a TFTC on all these caches. And no log at all? Nothing like really ticking off cache owners that put out and maintain their caches for YOU to find. I am really getting sick of the TFTC logs or the smiley faces as logs. I think I deserve a little more acknowledgement than that. Am I supposed to be satisfied with the fact that you went to find it? Let the cache owners know that you appreciate their work, time and thought put into a cache. I have never left a TFTC for a log I don't think. Even the LPC caches deserve more than that. Don't you think so?

Folks,

Any ideas?

Thanks

G

Wow. I put quite a bit of time into making and placing my caches for folks to find. In fact working on a series of letterboxes 37 to be exact. For these I purchased containers, duct tape, stamps, log books, pens, card stock for the caches and letter punches for a separate game with this series. I will be most upset with a TFTC on all these caches. And no log at all? Nothing like really ticking off cache owners that put out and maintain their caches for YOU to find. I am really getting sick of the TFTC logs or the smiley faces as logs. I think I deserve a little more acknowledgement than that. Am I supposed to be satisfied with the fact that you went to find it? Let the cache owners know that you appreciate their work, time and thought put into a cache. I have never left a TFTC for a log I don't think. Even the LPC caches deserve more than that. Don't you think so?

I absolutely agree. Instead of trying to find ways to post as little as possible (or nothing at all) you should write at least a little something....just a sentence will do, anything to let the owner know you appreciated their effort placing the cache for you to find. It's really the only a reward a CO gets.

If a friend put on a dinner party, would you just eat and leave or would you thank them for their hospitality? Why does everyone seem to think the same basic courtesy doesn't apply to Geocaching?

It takes work to put out and maintain a cache. Blank logs are frowned upon. At least take the time to write a sentence or two to make it worth it for the cache owner. Who knows, you may enjoy looking back at your past logs.

^^^ This

I know I enjoy going back and reading some of my past logs. They serve as a reminder of good times I've had caching. Who I was with that day, funny things that happened on the hunt, creepy muggle encounters, that tricky hide I had to come back to 6 times before I found it, that time I slid down an embankment on my butt....it's like keeping a journal or taking pictures on vacation. There's tons of great memorable details that I wouldn't have if I'd just logged 3 years of "TFTC"😉

Edited by Chief301

It takes work to put out and maintain a cache. Blank logs are frowned upon. At least take the time to write a sentence or two to make it worth it for the cache owner. Who knows, you may enjoy looking back at your past logs.

^^^ This

I know I enjoy going back and reading some of my past logs. They serve as a reminder of good times I've had caching. Who I was with that day, funny things that happened on the hunt, creepy muggle encounters, that tricky hide I had to come back to 6 times before I found it, that time I slid down an embankment on my butt....it's like keeping a journal or taking pictures on vacation. There's tons of great memorable details that I wouldn't have if I'd just logged 3 years of "TFTC"😉

Yes, I pity those with thousands of finds who can't even remember specific caches, even after reading their own lame five-word "log." That's why most of my recent ones also have photos.

:huh:

I would like to keep track of the number of finds I have online however I don't wish to post about every cache I visit.

Then I'd prefer you added my caches to your ignore list and didn't bother finding them.

Geocaching relies on community. Community means reciprocation - give and take - and if I've gone to the effort to guide you to a nice location and provide something there for you to find I really want to hear a little bit about your experience - even if it's only to say why you didn't enjoy it.

Yeah...if not for the "no ALR" guideline, I'd explain in all my cache descriptions that I would delete any log that was blank, had only a smilie or said only things like "TFTC" or "Thanks". Even just saying "quick find on my way to work" actually is (minimally) useful as it tells the CO and other caches a couple things - A, it was still there and easy to find and B, the morning might be a good time to find it...or at least it was on that particular day. It also makes no mention of any problems with the cache, which itself is useful information.

Yeah...if not for the "no ALR" guideline, I'd explain in all my cache descriptions that I would delete any log that was blank, had only a smilie or said only things like "TFTC" or "Thanks". Even just saying "quick find on my way to work" actually is (minimally) useful as it tells the CO and other caches a couple things - A, it was still there and easy to find and B, the morning might be a good time to find it...or at least it was on that particular day. It also makes no mention of any problems with the cache, which itself is useful information.

"on the way to work" is meaningless unless you happen to know that particular cache's work schedule. I start at 7AM today but On Monday I'll start at 2PM. If I found a cache on the way to work on each of these days, one would be in the morning and one would be in the afternoon.

TFTC=Thanks for the cache, so we know(Well by the text anyway) that it was found and logged intentionally.

A blank log, or even a single letter(I've had that) gives no indication of a find. One could make the assumption that it was a mistake and delete it. I do that with, and if I'm feeling nice I send a note explaining why.

This actually had a positive effect-I talked with some people logging from their phone(Or uploading field notes. I can't remember) and they didn't even know they logged it yet...

You can log a blank find. But it's totally in poor taste, and the geo community will look upon you with scorn as a lazy and careless cacher...

Why would you want that? I mean, you seriously cannot log a few words about your find? Seriously?

Sad...

...and lame

Posting a wordless find is like going out for lunch & leaving no tip. People will think less of you.

You can log a blank find. But it's totally in poor taste, and the geo community will look upon you with scorn as a lazy and careless cacher...

Why would you want that? I mean, you seriously cannot log a few words about your find? Seriously?

Sad...

...and lame

Posting a wordless find is like going out for lunch & leaving no tip. People will think less of you.

Posting a blank log is like going out for lunch and skipping out on the check. The log is the only "payment" the cache owner gets for placing the cache.

Sad...

...and lame

Yes!! Exactly!!!

Sad...

...and lame

Yes!! Exactly!!!

But quite often that lunch didn't deserve a tip. ;)

Those lacklustre hides I just add TFTC. and that's all they get or deserve.

Sad...

...and lame

Yes!! Exactly!!!

If we're going to stick w/analogies here, the I would never, ever, EVER not leave a tip just because of lackluster performance. It may not be the 20% that I normally leave, but a tip they will get.

If I'm generally unhappy with a COs caches (or restaurant quality), then I can *choose* to not search them out again.

Sad...

...and lame

Yes!! Exactly!!!

If we're going to stick w/analogies here, the I would never, ever, EVER not leave a tip just because of lackluster performance. It may not be the 20% that I normally leave, but a tip they will get.

If I'm generally unhappy with a COs caches (or restaurant quality), then I can *choose* to not search them out again.

I agree. Getting a three percent tip instead of a twenty percent tip says more to a service person than just getting stiffed, if they're the kind of person that's inclined to pay attention.

So, leaving ANY kind of comment on a log is better than a blank one. You can be polite and still convey "not impressed".

I love hearing how the weather was when folks found my cache, or if their little cacher found it, or if they are on vacation, or if it is a milestone find. I have seen fantastic caches get this: "." which I think is a bit rude, to say the least. It doesn't take much time to type a sentence or two. Maybe it is down to the way I was brought up?

The only reason I personally would like to be able to log without text is, using a small samsung smartphone which is near impossible to type on, I usually type in some jibber at the find, upload then edit when I get home using the computer

Pretty sure you could type the jibber as a field note then use those to post your logs back home. The CO never sees your field notes so you could enter any old jibber you like in there - even just a single character :)

The only reason I personally would like to be able to log without text is, using a small samsung smartphone which is near impossible to type on, I usually type in some jibber at the find, upload then edit when I get home using the computer

Pretty sure you could type the jibber as a field note then use those to post your logs back home. The CO never sees your field notes so you could enter any old jibber you like in there - even just a single character :)

... add to that, they do not get notification of an edit. Only the originally posted log.

... add to that, they do not get notification of an edit. Only the originally posted log.

Correct. The owner would receive your blank or short jibber via email, and get no notification of an edit. Not being a smart aleck, but why do you feel you have to type jibber from the cache site on your smart phone? For the first 9 1/2 years of Geocaching's existance, EVERYONE went home and logged their finds on a computer. Gosh, I still do. :P

Sad...

...and lame

Yes!! Exactly!!!

I try to say something about what made it lacklustre. Example: "I filter out micro caches, they're just not my thing, so I was surprised to find this key holder container listed as a small. The logsheet was quite damp, I scratched my trailname into the paper with a pencil - only writing utensil I had, wish I had brought my sharpie pen."

I do this for future finders, it may help them decide whether to search for it or skip it.

Correct. The owner would receive your blank or short jibber via email, and get no notification of an edit. Not being a smart aleck, but why do you feel you have to type jibber from the cache site on your smart phone? For the first 9 1/2 years of Geocaching's existance, EVERYONE went home and logged their finds on a computer. Gosh, I still do. :P
Even with Swype on my phone, I don't like entering much text on my phone. My field notes are shorthand memos to myself (sometimes as little as one character). Later, when I have a real keyboard, I use those field notes to enter my actual logs.

I happen to write awesome logs (IIDSSM) and I do so with my iPhone., generally right at GZ

I won't remember much about the cache if I wait to get home.

I prefer my logs to be about my experience. Not a 'found with so n so' cut and paste that I see lots of. If I'm on a mountain and find more than 5 caches...I won't remember the specifics. And I'm all about the specifics.

Times change. I don't care how people logged 9.5 yrs ago. I care how I log now ..

I happen to write awesome logs (IIDSSM) and I do so with my iPhone., generally right at GZ

I won't remember much about the cache if I wait to get home.

I prefer my logs to be about my experience. Not a 'found with so n so' cut and paste that I see lots of. If I'm on a mountain and find more than 5 caches...I won't remember the specifics. And I'm all about the specifics.

Times change. I don't care how people logged 9.5 yrs ago. I care how I log now ..

You didn't read carefully enough. I said the first 9.5 years of Geocaching, meaning people were logging like that from 2000 until the middle of 2009, when the first smartphone apps started coming out.

Of course the overwhelming urge to log from the smartphone in the field is the primary reason for the "came out of nowhere in 2010" lame logging epidemic, most often charcterized by Tftc logs. In my opinion, that is. :P

I will admit... I have been guilty of the cut and paste "TFTC. Found with so and so". I have also left some really nice logs. 9 times out of 10, my logs are a mirror image of the time the owner spent setting up the cache. Having been reading nearly every thread I can for a week now, I have learned a lot and will be adjusting some of my methods and habits. That being said... After having read this entire thread, I am under the impression that a log without text IS possible but frowned upon. Would that be an accurate statement? ;)

I will admit... I have been guilty of the cut and paste "TFTC. Found with so and so". I have also left some really nice logs. 9 times out of 10, my logs are a mirror image of the time the owner spent setting up the cache. Having been reading nearly every thread I can for a week now, I have learned a lot and will be adjusting some of my methods and habits. That being said... After having read this entire thread, I am under the impression that a log without text IS possible but frowned upon. Would that be an accurate statement? ;)

I will admit that I have never, ever used a cut and paste log. Every cache I/we have found has deserved a unique log when we posted our find. Anything less than a unique log for each cache find is simply being lazy. If you find 500 caches in a day you should write 500 unique logs unless the cache owner expects you to post crud because the cache didn't deserve anything more than crud. Blech :unsure: