Practicality of geocaching in the snow?

JessicasDaddy

I'm in the northeast where we were just hit with about 6-8" of snow. My daughter and I had made plans to go geocaching every Sunday, but I'm wondering how practical geocaching is when everything is covered in a blanket of snow. I figure one of three scenarios: We'll get frustrated by not finding it (most likely), we'll get lucky and find it but leave a mess of tracks behind that muggles might get curious about and/or non-muggles would see as a road map to the cache (semi-likely), or we'll see someone else's tracks leading to the cache and have it ruin some of the challenge (least likely, since the caches in our area seem to not be touched for months at a time).

Thoughts for the newbies? :-)

I live in the Adirondack Mountains up near Canada in New York. We get lots of snowdry.gif.

Firstly, when searching for geocaches when snow is on the ground, search only for ones that have the winter accessible attribute (winter-yes.gif). These should all be able to be found easily with snow-cover.

As for the tracks, we've thought of this many times. Usually if we went to a geocache that was in a tree, we make sure to makes tracks around all the trees in the area, so people just think it was someone messing about.

As for prints ruining the hunt for you, that hasn't happened to us yet. Even if there are tracks from other cachers. they have searched all around the area, leaving prints everywhere they go. So we still have to look ourselves.

But you want to know the best part about geocaching in the winter? NO BUGS!!!biggrin.gif

Overall, I would definitely say that caching in the winter is just as fun as doing so in the summer!smile.gif

Winter is a wonderful time for caching. You might check the cache "attributes" to see if there's a "snowflake", that will indicate that the cache is winter friendly.

Don't worry about the geo-trails you leave, some of us other cachers would love to use them :)

Also, don't get discouraged if you don't find it, just try dropping on your back and making a snow angel, that'll keep your spirits up :) just get out in the snow and have fun.

Just found this one & another during a visit to Lake Placid, NY, fairly close to Canada:

ee0041d8-9c2c-4e8c-901b-e2e5a1762512.jpg

It could have been found in foot-deep snow.

Try ones in the woods - your footprints will be everywhere.

Note to ADKer: I passed close to your caches. I left a TB that's in a distance race in this cache at the edge of Lake Placid.

The TB is in the photo. As for the photo of the container, I normally don't post those. However, others had already done so, & one who did said he had the CO's okay.

Edited by wmpastor

Just found this one & another during a visit to Lake Placid, NY, fairly close to Canada:

Note to ADKer: I passed close to your caches. I left a TB that's in a distance race in this cache at the edge of Lake Placid.

Isn't that area just a magical place!biggrin.gif

Next time i'm in the area I'll be sure to pick up your TB if nobody else has!

I'm in the northeast where we were just hit with about 6-8" of snow. My daughter and I had made plans to go geocaching every Sunday, but I'm wondering how practical geocaching is when everything is covered in a blanket of snow. I figure one of three scenarios: We'll get frustrated by not finding it (most likely), we'll get lucky and find it but leave a mess of tracks behind that muggles might get curious about and/or non-muggles would see as a road map to the cache (semi-likely), or we'll see someone else's tracks leading to the cache and have it ruin some of the challenge (least likely, since the caches in our area seem to not be touched for months at a time).

Thoughts for the newbies? :-)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=318405

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=317616

B.

Before you brush off the idea of caching in the snow (almost sounds like a song, eh?), give a shot or two. It just may surprise you and open your eyes to a whole new world.

Eight inches of snow isn't bad, but more and you may want snowshoes. I'd even bet that if you guys try out snowshoes, you'd love 'em. There is sport and genuine exercise in using snowshoes. Makes for even better family outings.

Isn't that area just a magical place!biggrin.gif

Next time i'm in the area I'll be sure to pick up your TB if nobody else has!

Yes, snow-covered woods are special, & evergreen forests are extra-special. (Sequoia forests in the snow? Unforgettable! ) If I had had more time, I would have maybe tackled the heavily-favorited "Cobble Hill" cache less than a mile from the center of town in Lake Placid. I looked at it & saw that the T4.5 rating was warranted, at least in the snow (4.0 otherwise?).

As for the TB, it's not mine, I just gave it a boost. It started in Puerto Rico, & has been heading further north ever since. :o:grin:

Winter is a great time to cache, especially in the woods. Be sure and take a hiking stick. Using the "poke and listen" technique in and under logs, I often hear the cache before I can see it.

The challenge is different in the snow. Harder in some ways, easier in others.

Give it a try. Watch for the 'winter friendly' attributes as well as the larger hides, to have your best luck. Sure is nice to come back home after a day of caching and not have to spend 30 minutes brushing burrs and ticks off me and the dog!

Heh, you are caching where I grew up. Don't let the snow stop you, just be prepared for a slightly different adventure.

1. It's all about the journey, not finding the caches, although that does make it better fun.

2. Take the time to select your targets carefully and read the cache pages. Sometimes you can find spoiler hints or pics in previous logs. I haven't cached there all that much, but here in NC a lot of micros are hung in trees so they are available all year round. And the virtual in the parking lot at the Rt 1 movie theater should be available at any time. ;)

3. Don't worry about tracks, you can wander across yours to muddy them after the find, and there's no shame in following someone's tracks to the cache either.

4. Look for caches that have been found recently; there might be a better chance that they are there waiting for you. Stick with ones that have easier ratings too.

5. The coffee or cocoa will taste even better after playing in the woods on Sunday.

Winter is a great time to cache, especially in the woods. Be sure and take a hiking stick. Using the "poke and listen" technique in and under logs, I often hear the cache before I can see it.

Hiking sticks also come in handy when you not so gracefully tip over with 36" snowshoes strapped to your feet :blink::laughing:

I spent about 4 hours out in the woods today, geocaching and snowshoeing - it was great (even the tipping over part!!).

When I first started caching in 2011, I did not cache the first winter.

The following winter I did do some winter caching and fell in love with it. There is nothing like the sound of your hiking stick hitting an ammo can you can't see.

Winter caching also gives you a chance to get caches you may otherwise not be able to get.

Those T5 water caches suddenly become caches you can walk to (after ensuring it is safe to do so).

Edited by BlackRose67

Firstly, when searching for geocaches when snow is on the ground, search only for ones that have the winter accessible attribute (winter-yes.gif). These should all be able to be found easily with snow-cover.

As for the tracks, we've thought of this many times. Usually if we went to a geocache that was in a tree, we make sure to makes tracks around all the trees in the area, so people just think it was someone messing about.

As for prints ruining the hunt for you, that hasn't happened to us yet. Even if there are tracks from other cachers. they have searched all around the area, leaving prints everywhere they go. So we still have to look ourselves.

Just be aware that the 'snowflake' says 'available in winter'... not necessarily friendly! I agree it should mean that it is possible to find under normal winter conditions for that area. Lately some areas may find that concept a bit stretched at least in the short term. I'd expect a cache to be attached above ground level and perhaps under shelter. Still there aren't any guarantees, just an effort made. I have one that may not be always reachable... It is attached at eye level in the summer but could easily be a metre down shortly. Plus no one should try it in winter anyway without a knowledge of mountains with snow (lots ) on them etc. I have to put some winter limits on the page, but it wouldn't be hard to see that it is tough to access, I'd give it a go, but then I know the risks and means to mitigate them... I'll post warnings first though, since access is probably already risky since yesterday's snow fall.

As for tracks, IF there are tracks around, you might find out it's just normal winter procedure, leave lots of tracks while searching, leave EVEN MORE confusing tracks after you have signed the log and replaced, adding even more distractions. Never argue with track you can follow...haha.

It's mostly about getting out and about in the snow (to avoid shovelling, right?)

Doug 7rxc

If I can find a place to park in the area I want to cache in, snow is rarely an impediment to the fun. Expect higher dnf rates and harder searches, but you can make that part of the fun. It's really more about quality time, isn't it?

That said, quality time is always more fun if there's some finding being done. You can try to focus on larger cache sizes, something the size of an ammo can is usually findable even in a big snowdrift (try finding a micro or nano in the same snowdrift and it's a different ballgame). Hiking poles or a staff come in handy for poking into snowbanks. Traction aids like microspikes or yaktrax come in handy if there's ice, and snowshoes are fun.

Since you're a premium member, try using PQ's. You could set up one to show all caches that have been found after recent snowstorms, which is a good way to see which ones can be done in the snow. You can also set a few up, with some work, to show caches that have a history of being active in the wintertime. If you don't want to or can't do that (i.e. a spur of the moment cache trip), you can always just scan the logs of the cache in question, looking at the dates of finds/dnf's to see when it's active.

Pay attention to your thoughts while caching, and if you find yourself thinking "this would be more fun if.." or "I wish I had...", note that and add it in for the next trip. For example, if it's particularly cold and you're thinking about how it'd be nice to have some hot chocolate, next time bring along a thermos full of it.

I doubt you need to be told this, but it bears repeating. Dress appropriately, be careful, and be safe. And most of all, have fun!

If you trip over a snow covered root, the snow breaks your fall a bit....and your caching partner gets an even bigger laugh than in spring or summer. At least, mine does! I prefer caching in the snow to the rain. "Muddy" up any tracks you leave near the cache, and have fun. Keep an eye on the weather so you can get home before dark, and while the roads are still safe.

I'm on the Buffalo area where we cache in snow more often than not. I made a query of caches that include the snowflake symbol. But, usually we cache on hiking trails that double as snowmobile trails. I j u st assume an extra half star difficulty with snow cover and leave phantom tracks as well.

If you trip over a snow covered root, the snow breaks your fall a bit....and your caching partner gets an even bigger laugh than in spring or summer. At least, mine does! I prefer caching in the snow to the rain. "Muddy" up any tracks you leave near the cache, and have fun. Keep an eye on the weather so you can get home before dark, and while the roads are still safe.

In our area in Eastern Ontario a lot of the caches are placed higher off the ground so they can be accessed in the winter. Geocaching around here is a winter activity as well as summer. We spent some time geocaching in Northern Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin where they also get a lot of snow. We found most of the geocaches were placed on the ground which made them non winter friendly. It is too bad as it would increase the geocaching season. I also found that you have to be more creative with placing a cache making for some more interesting finds.

I have lived in Maine, Ohio, and New York. Some of the best caching I have done in the past was in the snow or while it was snowing. There were definitely more challenges to finds, preparing for the weather, etc. but I found it to be more fun because I had to slow down and concentrate a little more sometimes. This enabled me to actually pay closer attention to my surroundings and notice things that otherwise I might have missed had I easily been able to find "ground zero".

I have lived in Maine, Ohio, and New York. Some of the best caching I have done in the past was in the snow or while it was snowing. There were definitely more challenges to finds, preparing for the weather, etc. but I found it to be more fun because I had to slow down and concentrate a little more sometimes. This enabled me to actually pay closer attention to my surroundings and notice things that otherwise I might have missed had I easily been able to find "ground zero".

This ....

Nothing like taking the time to smell the roses....ermmm ....snowflakes!