Is there a new game?

Titus1919

I have taken a hiatus from geocaching and am now back. Out of the 7 I ground today 5 of them had the little iPhone scan barcode things on or by what the cache was hidden in. I don't know if it was a coincidence or is something else is at hand. I don't have an I phone to scan it with to find out.

I have taken a hiatus from geocaching and am now back. Out of the 7 I ground today 5 of them had the little iPhone scan barcode things on or by what the cache was hidden in. I don't know if it was a coincidence or is something else is at hand. I don't have an I phone to scan it with to find out.

It is a game that shall not be named, and is not a part of Groundspeak's Geocaching game. Starts with "Mon", but replace the "o" with a "u". Ends in "zoo", but replace the "oo" with "ee".

:ph34r:

It is a game that shall not be named, and is not a part of Groundspeak's Geocaching game. Starts with "Mon", but replace the "o" with a "u". Ends in "zoo", but replace the "oo" with "ee".

ain't u sneeky :)

If you don't have a phone to scan it then don't pay any attention to it.

If you do have a phone to scan it then don't pay any attention to it.

ain't u sneeky :)

Oh, veeery sneaky! That'll keep the n00bs away from the competition!

You asked a legitimate question, so here is a semi-legitimate answer.

What you have run across is a gamepiece for a business competitor of Groundspeak. Groundspeak would prefer that this competitor not be named, or even discussed in their forums.

These gamepieces are placed in thousands of locations, some of which may also be in the vicinity of existing geocaches. They may or may not have been placed with the knowledge of the geocache owner. Occasionally they are even placed in, or on, an existing geocache with or without the geocache owner's permission.

I personally ignore them, although if I knew of one placed in or on one of my containers I would stop ignoring it. :mad:

Well, I learned something today. I didn't realize "unspoken" game was a competitor...I just figured it was another gps/searching game like the many that are out there. I thought they all coexisted peacefully... B)

They do coexist peacefully - just like North & South Korea do! ;)

If you don't have a phone to scan it then don't pay any attention to it.

If you do have a phone to scan it then don't pay any attention to it.

There is another geocaching site that has QR codes that can be scanned by their GPS units and you don't need a smartphone. That M word game is a parasite and can be found in geocaches without the owner knowing about them. :ph34r:

Well, I learned something today. I didn't realize "unspoken" game was a competitor...I just figured it was another gps/searching game like the many that are out there. I thought they all coexisted peacefully... B)

Competitor isn't the correct view. These games do coexist peacefully for the most part.

However these forums have guidelines, one of which has to do with commercial postings. While Groundspeak normally will allow the name of business to be casually mentioned in a post, there are some businesses and commercial websites whose names are deemed to be too commercial. These are generally websites and businesses that have a close affinity to geocaching. The geocaching community is perceived to be the specific target audience for the new business or commercial website. So any mention in the forums has been ruled by Groundspeak to be commercial - even in trying to answer an innocent question posted by someone who has noticed QR codes appearing in or near many caches.

Now to get my Subaru pride of ownership geocaching sticker.

Competitor isn't the correct view. These games do coexist peacefully for the most part.

However these forums have guidelines, one of which has to do with commercial postings. While Groundspeak normally will allow the name of business to be casually mentioned in a post, there are some businesses and commercial websites whose names are deemed to be too commercial. These are generally websites and businesses that have a close affinity to geocaching. The geocaching community is perceived to be the specific target audience for the new business or commercial website. So any mention in the forums has been ruled by Groundspeak to be commercial - even in trying to answer an innocent question posted by someone who has noticed QR codes appearing in or near many caches.

Now to get my Subaru pride of ownership geocaching sticker.

Funny you'd slip that last line in there. I remember that thread well, and responded to it, and contacted Subaru myself. I suppose your pointing out inconsistency.

I have been banned from the forums twice for mentioning that other game, for 3 and 7 days respectively. Even though I was just joking both times. :ph34r:

I used the M sticker as a clue, how to find the cache I was looking for, that worked a few times,

I know many of the same people play multible games, and I dont see any problems in that,

as long as they get outside and have fun, I am happy.

it dont really apeal to me, I stick with geocaching

So its nothing I need to worry about.

Not unless you want to play the "Parking lot sticker defacement game"

I have the ultimate verification on that one. A few months ago, the President of that website came to my region for one of their events (I did not attend, although I do casually play), and plastered a few in a Home Depot Parking Lot. That would be like Jeremy Irish attending a Mega, and dropping a few parking lot LPC's. :laughing:

And of course I'm sure he went into the Home Depot manager, introduced himself as the President, and obtained permission. :ph34r:

You asked a legitimate question, so here is a semi-legitimate answer.

What you have run across is a gamepiece for a business competitor of Groundspeak. Groundspeak would prefer that this competitor not be named, or even discussed in their forums.

These gamepieces are placed in thousands of locations, some of which may also be in the vicinity of existing geocaches. They may or may not have been placed with the knowledge of the geocache owner. Occasionally they are even placed in, or on, an existing geocache with or without the geocache owner's permission.

I personally ignore them, although if I knew of one placed in or on one of my containers I would stop ignoring it. :mad:

Unfortunately we have folks here - one in particular - that is putting one of these in generally clear view as close as possible to most caches he finds. In more tha nonce case, I am hunting a D2, 3, or 4 hide and sure enough, there is one of these little boogers attached within inches of the cache.

It makes looking for caches much easier, but takes a lot of the fun out of it. Just ignoring them is not an option when it is giving away hides at nearly every cache you hunt. Part of me wants to just rip them off every time I see them.

I have seen this new game!!! Having been away from this game for a bit I did not realize they had become prolific. I have seen them very near several caches. This has spawned another new game, which in order to play one need not make a larger investment than the cost of a black sharpie!!

Yes. I've done that.

I like this.

Part of me wants to just rip them off every time I see them.

I know someone who removed dozens of them along trails on state property that were basically nailed onto trees very 100' or so.

That was my concern with the QR codes that could be scanned with a GPS unit. Staple it to a tree and call it a geocache listing, and the find can be verifyed. I call it CITO, not Muggle. :ph34r:

I know someone who removed dozens of them along trails on state property that were basically nailed onto trees very 100' or so.

So it's okay to take down creative caches screwed to trees?

Creative or not, caches should not involve screwing or nailing anything into trees. To quote the guidelines (enhancements are mine).

"Geocache placements do not damage, deface or destroy public or private property.

Caches are placed so that the surrounding environment, whether natural or human-made, is safe from intentional or unintentional harm. Property must not be damaged or altered to provide a hiding place, clue, or means of logging a find."

I have seen this new game!!! Having been away from this game for a bit I did not realize they had become prolific. I have seen them very near several caches. This has spawned another new game, which in order to play one need not make a larger investment than the cost of a black sharpie!!

Yes. I've done that.

That is some funny stuff right there. Of course I don't condone it, but funny stuff. :o

Yes. I've done that.

I like this.

What might be funny is to just color in one or two "pixels" - enough to screw it up, but not be obvious.

Not that I would do it, just thinking out loud.

Yes. I've done that.

I like this.

What might be funny is to just color in one or two "pixels" - enough to screw it up, but not be obvious.

Not that I would do it, just thinking out loud.

Oh absolutely!! I would NEVER do that either.:ph34r::unsure:

Yes. I've done that.

I share the frustration, and am sympathetic but would recommend we geocachers refrain from defacing someone else's game piece. How would you like those other players defacing your bison tubes?

Yes. I've done that.

I share the frustration, and am sympathetic but would recommend we geocachers refrain from defacing someone else's game piece. How would you like those other players defacing your bison tubes?

But would you remove a tag if it was placed on your cache conatiner without permission?

You owe me a new keyboard. :mad:

Yes. I've done that.

But would you remove a tag if it was placed on your cache container without permission?

I'm pretty sure that practice is frowned upon in the QR game world, at least the last time I played it was. If it were placed on or in my cache I would remove it (or maybe just move it perhaps tie it up somewhere in the same tree). When I played, I also included a QR code in some of our caches for those people who also play multiple hide n seek games. Wasn't a problem, no one seemed confused or upset.

Edited by L0ne.R

I'm a cacher.

I also do the 'M' game.

I'd rather find a cache.

But, when I'm working, there are times I'd rather not pick up the film tub at the base of the post that all the local dogs use 'to mark their territory' that has a 'soggy log' in it, that is next to impossible to sign...

However, if I find one placed in my cache. It will be removed, and a UTL logged. (Unable to Locate, which can lead to automatic archiving!)

That's a very interesting question coming from someone who just started a thread about a cache that was on private property.

Does this mean that it's OK to be a cache cop on one type of guideline violation but not another type based on the kind of caches one likes to find? :unsure:

Yes. I've done that.

But would you remove a tag if it was placed on your cache container without permission?

I'm pretty sure that practice is frowned upon in the QR game world, at least the last time I played it was. If it were placed on or in my cache I would remove it (or maybe just move it perhaps tie it up somewhere in the same tree). When I played, I also included a QR code in some of our caches for those people who also play multiple hide n seek games. Wasn't a problem, no one seemed confused or upset.

Wow, I'm able to post to this thread multiple times without a 7 year ban or something. :ph34r: I'd just like to say correct, putting them in other people's caches is highly frowned upon over there. I've never seen a person give the opinion it was OK to do so in their forums.

I've only seen it once in my area, and it was done by a newbie cacher who has never hidden any of their own caches. I've also seen in the listings where some guy has done it 10 or more times in NE Pa. But all in all, I think it's pretty rare for people to do so. You'd think on a basic common sense basis. :)

That's a very interesting question coming from someone who just started a thread about a cache that was on private property.

Does this mean that it's OK to be a cache cop on one type of guideline violation but not another type based on the kind of caches one likes to find? :unsure:

I've never taken down a cache that was screwed to a tree but I have reported it to a reviewer. I don't think jellis is saying she wouldn't report a cache that's screwed to a tree. In the PP thread she reported the possible guideline infraction but didn't remove the cache.

LOL!

I think the community has answered the OP's question. Yes, there is another competing game.

At this point, the conversation is turning to "how much can we get away with talking about the other game in hushed whispers?" Rather than hand out seven year bans, I'll simply close the thread.