DNF Rate

JL_HSTRE

Overall rate: 6.3% 1192/18890.

2013 rate: 5.9% 104/6278

I'm off to a bad start with 5 already this year. :o

Curious fact-23 of those 104 DNF's are now archived, and only 2 were found after I posted my log. So chances are that they weren't even there to find. And 1 had a taunting log from the CO directed at the 11 DNF posts including me. He claims it was always there; odd that so many of us missed a 3/1.5 hide. :rolleyes:

This is the inverse of a stat that tozainamboku suggested a while back called the Geocaching Average.

Actually I like the OP's idea of a DNF average. I've been trying to think of a way to encourage more DNF logs. Too many people see a DNF as a sign of failure. They don't log DNFs or only do so under exceptional conditions. What's more is that some will leave a replacement cache if they think the cache is missing and log a find for that, or even log a find for finding "where the cache was supposed to be".

Perhaps an award for the highest DNF average would encourage people to accept that DNF is part of geocaching and not something to be ashamed of. :unsure:

See my forum signature - I log ALL my DNF's, and I keep a bookmark list of them.

In 2013 I logged 526 finds (including lab caches and events), with 35 DNF's. That's a DNF rate of 6.65% for the year.

Overall since 2002, I'm at 5,288 finds right now, with 385 DNF's, for a lifetime DNF rate of 6.27%.

Clearly, I'm getting older but I'm not getting better. :lol:

Perhaps an award for the highest DNF average would encourage people to accept that DNF is part of geocaching and not something to be ashamed of. :unsure:

I see a new Challenge Cache in our future. B)

I don't think such a Challenge Cache would get published since it relies on a percentage rather than a milestone. A Challenge Cache based on lifetime DNFs logged might. "What kind of DNF-based Challenge Caches would be acceptable under the Guidelines?" might make a good separate thread.

Edited by Joshism

I don't think such a Challenge Cache would get published since it relies on a percentage rather than a milestone. A Challenge Cache based on lifetime DNFs logged might. "What kind of DNF-based Challenge Caches would be acceptable under the Guidelines?" might make a good separate thread.

GC28NB6

I think the answer is "none" since Groundspeak regards logging DNF's as a "negative" rather than the required "positive geocaching accomplishment." It's written right in the challenge cache guidelines.

I respectfully disagree with that assessment, but it's been the case for years and I don't see it changing.

2013: 38 / (38+599) = 5.9%

Overall: 239 / (239+2800) = 7.8%

I'm honestly quite surprised about this considering I log all my DNF's and then some.

You mean you throw in a few extra DNF's just so you don't look like a pro?? :rolleyes: Or do you DNF the space station & geothermal vent caches after your drive to the burger shop & back home? :grin:

I think the answer is "none" since Groundspeak regards logging DNF's as a "negative" rather than the required "positive geocaching accomplishment." It's written right in the challenge cache guidelines.

I respectfully disagree with that assessment, but it's been the case for years and I don't see it changing.

It's hard enough to police "finds." Imagine how hard it would be to police DNF's. I drove to a convenience store and back. Is a DNF okay for the space station cache??

Per the OP's calculation method:

2013 = 114/(580+114)=17%

Overall = 372/(1615+372)=19%

This kind of surprised me, an overall DNF rate of 19%. So for every 5 of my attempts I walk away without finding the cache. Funny thing is it doesn't feel this way at all to me. One possible explanation is that I am not very modernized, I do not have a paperless caching GPSr or smartphone, and usually just load an area's active caches into my device when I go out hunting. I miff a lot of caches because I don't normally have access to hints, cache page descriptions, previous logs etc... Call it "Old School" geocaching, show up to some coords and see if you can find it. I bet if I got with the times my DNF rate would slowly change. Maybe someday...

My curiosity was piqued so I decided to check out my overall logging behavior. Out of 2224 total logs

Log Type, #, %

Attended, 13, 1%

DNF, 372, 17%

Enable, 2, 0%

Found It, 1602, 72%

NA, 5, 0%

NM, 21, 1%

Owner Maint, 20, 1%

Temp Disable, 2, 0%

Update Coords, 1, 0%

Will Attend, 12, 1%

Write Note, 174, 8%

Not only do I log a lot of DNFs, but I also post quite a few notes. And rather coincidentally, my Owner's Maintenance Logs match my NM logs. Perhaps running across caches that require maintenance motivates me to check my own. I wouldn't be surprised to see this behavior in other cache owners.

[edit: Changed first sentence to OP instead of CO.]

Edited by Fugads

I'm not a high count finder... there simply aren't that many caches available to me, but I try.

2013 gives 22/(22+65) = 25%.

However actually looking at this listing in this context makes me wonder if it is accurate.

It seems to be just a ratio of DNF logs to Found logs, and that is fine.

What I see though is that with the exception of 1 cache (5 dnfs, it was declared as not there) all of them were eventually found by me. Plus it includes a few already archived caches that were still in place for finds.

Most of the others were one or two DNFs that were either time restricted, or weathered out, and quite a few that simply had really soft coordinates that I eventually found regardless.

Still I see it as a good demo that DNF logging is a fun aspect of geocaching, maybe more so than TFTC logs.

Locally we've helped improve local cacheR quality a bit and that has actually increased the number of local caches, although I'm still limited by transportation and terrain. Hard to cache when you constantly have to walk from the bus to the caches and then run back to catch the only bus home... On the other hand my fitness soore is improving as well.

Have fun all

Doug 7rxc

Life time DNF Total 57. Life Time Finds 227. I am still relatively new and do not go out and find a ton of Caches each day but I am a firm believer in logging every attempt. Rather its a Find or a DNF. I think DNF adds to the cache experience.

MY DNF Percent is high at 25%

My overall DNF rate is 12.1 %, i. ., 220/(220+1598). I log all my DNF's for caches that I search for at all. But, if we come to a steep drop, and the cache is somewhere at the bottom, and we decide not to even try, that does not get a DNF.

An original DNF, which is later Found does not eliminate the original DNF; a Found is now logged. If we look a second, or even a third time, and don't find it, another DNF is logged for each time. If I log a DNF, and find from the CO in a timely fashion that the cache has gone missing, I'll change my DNF to a Note. After a week, it's all past history.

Sometimes, finding a cache with other caches nearby that have been found, but there's no history for this particular cache for six months or more, we'll just assume people searched, but just didn't want to log a DNF.

Carl - CarlGurt - of "The Two Reprobates"

Edited by CarlGurt

I've kept a spreadsheet of our caching activity since day one for us (11/25/01) and our DNF rate has been consistent throughout:

7% where a container is in place. (DNFs /(Finds + DNFs)

10% including sites with missing containers.

The above is calculated after discarding all non-container caches. The numbers would drop a bit if I included those cache types but I can see no sense in doing that. The first number is the one that really means something - DNFs where a container was in place.

To separate out our 2013 stats I would have to count up all the non-container caches for the year and it is 11:57pm so I won't be doing that right now. :rolleyes:

total finds 4732

total DNF 374

total find vs DNF = 12.6 %

clearly most of them are from 2013

I dont see how to read the values only for 2013

clearly more and more lousy hides are made

and more are mugled due to careless cacher style

and it dont really help people go out and cache without any kind of good intro first

Curious if anyone ever gave up on a puzzle and posted a DNF.

if it's a field puzzle: yes!

I agree that puzzles can be DNFed... one of my count last year, I found the field puzzle, but the coordinates for the second (final) stage produced nothing. I scoured that area until forced out by a storm, so DNF that time, again on another day, but... I did find the cache on a third trip and claimed the find, first in over a year or so. Sometimes I condense multiple DNF's after finding into one DNF with all the information for all of them.

I haven't done that for last year in all cases yet. Focus is on the finds for me, but who's counting.

As for unsolved puzzles, I'm not sure they would be DNFs, since in my view the hunt for the cache (push GOTO) has not yet taken place... Solving is information gathering and prep work. But that is my 'way' of playing.

Doug 7rxc

total finds 4732

total DNF 374

total find vs DNF = 12.6 %

Well I have good news for you. Your DNF rate is only 7.3%

Divide DNFs by total cache attempts. Add the DNFs to your total finds in order to include all cache attempts. 4732+374 = 5106

374/5106 = .0732471 which rounds to 7.3%

If you want to know how you are doing with just container caches subtract out the non-container cache finds from the total attempts. This will raise your DNF rate slightly but it will be a more accurate picture.

Edited by Team Sagefox