On the fence about premium membership

RevCacher

Just as the thread title says, I'm on the fence about upgrading to a premium membership. I live in a more rural area an am not sure that it's worth it to get the premium membership. Though, I travel a lot and it might be nice to have the information to find more caches in those areas. Do any of you regret being a premium member?

I don't regret it in the least, I also feel it is a way of paying back for all this site has. You will have access to Pocket Queries, Premium Member Only caches and more. I also live in a rural area, but there are many PMO caches here and in the urban areas nearby. You can try it out for 3 months for $10 in US currency, and if you buy a new GPS, some come with a free month of premium membership. That can be added to what you spend. A year was only $30 last time I renewed.

Do some research, and don't forget that even as a basic member you can still search for and load caches in the areas you visit. Do your homework, and find out what the benefits of being a PM are. I am not sure how long you have been caching, but it took me a couple of years before I got off the fence!

Welcome to the forums, and Happy New Year!

Just as the thread title says, I'm on the fence about upgrading to a premium membership. I live in a more rural area an am not sure that it's worth it to get the premium membership. Though, I travel a lot and it might be nice to have the information to find more caches in those areas. Do any of you regret being a premium member?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sort of sounds like your understanding is that Premium membership is mainly to allow you to search for Premium Member Only caches. That's one advantage, sure, but not even close to the main one. Pocket Queries are worth the price alone. Then there's bookmark lists, instant notifications, Caches Along A Route (great if you travel a lot), and more.

I don't regret it. In fact, I highly recommend it. It truly enhances the caching experience. I wouldn't go back to Basic, no way.

I've been caching for about a month. It's been a lot of fun so far. I guess I'm worried that once I find all the ones close to home I will not be as interested because I won't be able to do it as often then. Do you find that you end up making reasons to travel to find new caches?

Edited by RevCacher

I've been caching for about a month. It's been a lot of fun so far. I guess I'm worried that once I find all the ones close to home I will not be as interested because I won't be able to do it as often then.

You said you travel a lot. That's awesome for a Geocacher! There's caches EVERYWHERE! Geocaching is a perfect hobby for someone who travels a lot, since you're always going somewhere new. Every time I have a reason to travel somewhere I haven't been before, the first thing I do is go to GC.com and see what caches are there....then create a Pocket Query and load it to my GPS. Then trust me, if I have ANY free time on the trip, I'm looking for caches 😊. It's an excellent way to learn your way around a new town, too.

Quite the contrary, if you travel a lot you should have plenty of opportunities for caching, even if you have found all the ones close to home.

Edited by Chief301

No, none of us regret becoming premium members. But if you happen to be the first, you'll just be out $30, and we will all thank you for supporting geocaching. But my guess is that you'll decide to pay again next year.

For that matter, I think they still offer a 3-month membership for $10. Why not try it that way and see if you like it. Then if you do you can pop for the $30 annual membership, and if you don't you're only out $10 that way.

I see you live in Missouri, as does my son. We travel back and forth on the Highway of the Saints and every little Town and a lot of the side roads have a cache on them. With the route feature available with a premium membership you can set the distance from your route that you want the program to search for caches and it will return a list of caches within that distance. You can also filter for the size, type, or difficulty of cache that you want to look for. We have just returned from Hawaii and I had preloaded the caches that I wanted to look for over there in my GPSr. We had a lot of fun locating them.

I've been caching for about a month. It's been a lot of fun so far. I guess I'm worried that once I find all the ones close to home I will not be as interested because I won't be able to do it as often then. Do you find that you end up making reasons to travel to find new caches?

I've never regretted *not* being a premium member. I did think about it once or twice, but only after I'd been doing it for a while and had found over 100 caches.

If you're worried then I'd suggest leaving it for a bit. It'll be the summer soon (well...) - see if you want to get out and walking and doing lots of geocaching then. If you do then you might find it's more useful to try a premium membership - personally most of the reasons people cite for becoming a premium member don't really apply to my circumstances (I don't use a gps device most of the time for example) so I've never felt the need to, but you might well find it easier depending on how much you want to do.

No regrets here. I knew within a few days of starting caching that I wanted it. Fortunately, I got a 30day free PM trial with the first GPS I bought.

If you're not sure, then just wait and see. Look for the member caches in your area and see if your interest in caching continues. If you have a smartphone and just want to find the odd cache or two, you can look up nearby caches while you're traveling (as long as there's cell service) so a PM and pocket queries won't be essential.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I am on the fence myself. I became a premium member before finding my second cache and this game has brought me to some incredible places and great adventures. I have never regretted premium membership and once won a lackey geocoin for writing about its benefits.

At this point, however, I have stepped back from the game and do not bother to find most local caches. When I do seek a cache, sometimes it seems I am doing it despite Groundspeak rather than because of them. I might have let my PM expire because I rarely go somewhere just to cache anymore. Still, on a recent trip we visited several earthcaches and virtuals, and there were definitely places I would not have discovered but for this game. I also like using the API with my smartphone. As long as this game offers the potential for discovery, premium membership seems like little to pay for the added convenience. So I probably will renew because I am lucky enough not to have to weigh the cost against anything else.

If there is a question, and you are finding encough local caches with a basic membership to keep you interested, then I would see of there was a point where the added features of premium membership makes sense. If you think pocket queries, the full API, and such things as caches on a route would enhance the game for you, then the question is answered. And if not, then the question is also answered.

Edited by geodarts

B) Don't sign up! You must currently enjoy punching in all those numbers into your GPSR.

Why do a Quere around your location just do a smooth download to your GPSR?

Just kidding you!

You will enjoy all the great features which will open up for you. If you really don't like it after a year then go back to punching those Coords into your unit.

Now think about it. Ok, now make a decision and then jump up into the air and yell 'Yes'.

Good luck.... :unsure:

My first find was 1 month ago. On that day I was geocaching with my nephew and I paid for 3mos. premium membership while in the field. I was interested in seeing ALL the caches in the area. For $10 I figured it was a no brainer. When I'm with my nephews I would spend that for a few cokes.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I've been quite satisfied with the premium membership and I will be paying for a year when my current plan expires. FWIW i suggest springing for the 3 mos. $10 membership and checking it out. I think you'll decide to keep it.

Best of luck.

Edited by Sway_xx

If you own a Garmin unit, you also get 30 day free trial membership

http://www.geocaching.com/Garmin/freetrial.aspx

30 day free membership comes with Magellan GC ownership, not sure about the other models.

Yeah, that's what really convinced me to spend the $30. I got one of the Garmin GPS's and tried the free Premium membership. When it was done it felt so weird to not be able to create bookmark lists, run PQs add favorite caches, etc. I really recommend getting a PM. It's great. Though one thing I do see a lot is a new cacher get a PM then lose interest in caching right after that. They have a PM that they spent $30 on, but they haven't logged in in a couple months. I got the free trial at around 50 finds, but I waited until 150 finds to make sure I would keep enjoying the game even after I'd found all the caches within walking/biking distance from my house. Luckily I did!

If you are still on the fence, you don't have to do a $30/year for premium membership. You can do $10/3 months. That way you have 3 months to figure out if it is worth keeping or cancelling.

In my opinion, when you can send geocaches to your gps (paperless Geocaching), pocket queries, giving favorite points, and access to premium members only caches, it is worth it.

The reasons I keep renewing my PM is the same as some of the answers above.

Pocket queries are a very nice feature and once you get used to using them, I don't think you'll go back to basic.

Also, more and more of the caches in my area are going premium. I think this might have something to do with the belief that this will help lessen vandalism. The jury is still out on this though.

I've been a PM for many years and it is valuable to me even in the times I can't geocache very much.

You can always try it for one year and see what you think. The cost isn't that much.

I checked out the geocaching thing many years ago, back then there were more cache's available to non Premium members. My only beef with the Premium membership is you are being charged for the information that is provided to the site for free! and the site profit's from advertisers and products. If your really into it and like supporting it that's great! For me It is like paying the bank to keep your money, just my two cents.

If you are still on the fence, you don't have to do a $30/year for premium membership. You can do $10/3 months. That way you have 3 months to figure out if it is worth keeping or cancelling.

In my opinion, when you can send geocaches to your gps (paperless Geocaching), pocket queries, giving favorite points, and access to premium members only caches, it is worth it.

Hi

Despite joining the site a few years ago, I'm new to geocaching. Do you have to have Premium Membership to use the paperless geocaching function?

Thanks

Smartrascal

Hi

Despite joining the site a few years ago, I'm new to geocaching. Do you have to have Premium Membership to use the paperless geocaching function?

Thanks

Smartrascal

If using a dedicated GPSr unit... yes.

If using a smart phone... not necessarily.

"Paperless" is a concept rather than a function. It is the ability to obtain and carry (with you) information regarding each and every cache you hunt for, and to log those caches electronically. In essence, you need print nothing onto paper (aside from signing the cache container log) in order to go geocaching.

Premium Membership allows for GPSr units (that have that ability) to download the data which almost duplicates the cache page viewed on a computer. Likewise, they can record and upload your "Found It" log (field notes) directly to geocaching.com (via computer hook-up).

Premium Membership allows access to those data files which contain such information. Non-Premium Members cannot access those file-types. Premium Membership includes other "benefits" as well-- http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=175 .

Smart phones, on the other hand, actually access the website and display that information to you in the field. You can also upload your logs directly from the field. Those phones use a downloaded app to function as such... different apps will have varying degrees of abilities to do such. Not all geocaching apps are equal.

Hi

Thanks

Smartrascal

"Paperless" is a concept rather than a function. It is the ability to obtain and carry (with you) information regarding each and every cache you hunt for, and to log those caches electronically. In essence, you need print nothing onto paper (aside from signing the cache container log) in order to go geocaching.

Premium Membership allows for GPSr units (that have that ability) to download the data which almost duplicates the cache page viewed on a computer. Likewise, they can record and upload your "Found It" log (field notes) directly to geocaching.com (via computer hook-up).

Premium Membership allows access to those data files which contain such information. Non-Premium Members cannot access those file-types. Premium Membership includes other "benefits" as well-- http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=175 .

Smart phones, on the other hand, actually access the website and display that information to you in the field. You can also upload your logs directly from the field. Those phones use a downloaded app to function as such... different apps will have varying degrees of abilities to do such. Not all geocaching apps are equal.

Really? I thought if you were a basic member, you could still download the .gpx files 1 at a time from the cache page. With a premium membership, you can create pocket queries which allow you to create .gpx files which include up to 1000 caches.

I would have thought that most devices nowadays use paperless caching i.e. instead of entering the coordinates manually, you can simply put a .gpx file on your device.

Smartrascal, what device are you using?

Hi

Thanks

Smartrascal

Really? I thought if you were a basic member, you could still download the .gpx files 1 at a time from the cache page. With a premium membership, you can create pocket queries which allow you to create .gpx files which include up to 1000 caches.

I would have thought that most devices nowadays use paperless caching i.e. instead of entering the coordinates manually, you can simply put a .gpx file on your device.

You can download the files, one by one, with the coordinates, as well as some general descriptors. As a basic member, the download will not have any previous logs, hint, description of the cache itself. Simply it's name, GC-code, ratings, and location. To get the full description (and hence, the full paperless experience) you have to be a Premium Member.

According to 2.6.Download Geocache Information , from the Help Center, Basic Members can download only LOC files.

Premium Members can download GPX files either via Pocket Queries or "Send to GPS". They could also download LOC files -- but why would they want to?

Using a smart phone with the full paid app, negates the difference, pretty much.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

B)Don't sign up! You must currently enjoy punching in all those numbers into your GPSR.

Why do a Quere around your location just do a smooth download to your GPSR?

Just kidding you!

You will enjoy all the great features which will open up for you. If you really don't like it after a year then go back to punching those Coords into your unit.

Now think about it. Ok, now make a decision and then jump up into the air and yell 'Yes'.

Good luck.... :unsure:

Smartphone & the app ($10) = no "number-punching." That's another variation to consider. And if you cache occasionally, what's the big deal about entering numbers in the GPS?

If you cache with any regularity at all, your Premium membership will be the best $30 you spend all year.

If you cache with any regularity at all, your Premium membership will be the best $30 you spend all year.

+ 1.

Do any of you regret being a premium member?

Not really, but this is the second year we're on the fence.

Unlike many it seems, we won't go after anything out there.

80+% on notifications are caches we wouldn't do.

Rarely pq or cache-along-a-route.

We're giving favorites to anything that's more than a twenty minute walk.

When lpcs in walmart parking lots became pmo to boot, we kinda lost interest.

This year we pretty-much gave our bucks to support the site.

- Now we pick and choose what we go after. Basic members can do that.

This year we pretty-much gave our bucks to support the site.

- Now we pick and choose what we go after. Basic members can do that.

While I admit that PQs are handy for discovering that a lamppost in the parking lot we just parked in has a cache that I can go find while my lovely assistant does some shopping, I've also found them convenient the other way around where we find a nice place to take a hike as we drive by, then pull out the GPSrs to see if there are any caches to find there. And often those caches encourage us to take a longer or more interesting hike than we might have otherwise.

Because a year of premium membership came with my first GPSr, I've never been a basic member, but I really can't imagine how they stay interested when they have to download each cache explicitly. Although I suppose with a smartphone, you don't have to do that anymore.

After being on the fence, I decided to renew. I rarely use pq's or caching on the route, but full access to the Groundspeak API gives me the same kind of information. I use my iphone caching app to identify the caches I want to do, and then export a GPX file to my handheld (just in case). We are planing a trip that should include a 15 to 20 earthcaches, several virtuals, and one traditional. I can't imagine doing that without having the full cache information.

The Groundspeak app could be used without premium membership, but I deleted it from my phone since it did not do what I wanted as effectively as other apps. So premium membership allows a lot of flexibility to find the caches I want to do in areas where I might want to visit. In the end, that was worth it.

I've never felt the need to sign up for Premium membership as I found that using c:geo (Free download) for my HTC Android and EasyGPS (also free download) for my eTrex give me all I require without having to key any data into either device. I simply use a WiFi connection to download caches directly into my phone with c:geo and use the same app to log my finds.

EasyGPS allows me to download 19 caches at a time to my eTrex which is fine and I've not hit any limit downloading batches of caches with c:geo although I assume there must be an upper limit.

The only minor drawback for me in staying as a basic member is not having access to PM only caches but I can live with that as there's more than enough all member access caches available to keep me busy.

I looked at the 'benefits' of PM and none of them are 'must haves' for me so why pay for additional features if you don't need them? If you must have PQ then PM is for you otherwise I see no real benefit.

Once you get used to running PQ's, you'll wonder how you made do without them. Not to mention route planning, which PM allows you to do. We've done a few 4 day weekend road trips, and run the route PQ for it. MUCH easier than hunting down caches one at a time, and you get the full description, ratings and logs for each right on the GPS. (I have a smart phone, but use it only as a backup to my GPSr.) PM only caches aren't even something I think about, but being a PM, I don't need to I suppose. All in all, I still say that if you cache with any regularity, your PM is the best $30 you spend all year. Here's another thought: If you're going to buy a paperless GPSr, you're going to spend at least $150 for a new one, and likely a good bit more for a better unit. If you're spending that much on the unit, is $30 a year too much to actually be able to DO paperless?

To me, it's simple: Cache smarter, not harder. My PM fee is the best $30 I've spent in any of the last 3 years.

Later!

Once you get used to running PQ's, you'll wonder how you made do without them. Not to mention route planning, which PM allows you to do. We've done a few 4 day weekend road trips, and run the route PQ for it. MUCH easier than hunting down caches one at a time, and you get the full description, ratings and logs for each right on the GPS. (I have a smart phone, but use it only as a backup to my GPSr.) PM only caches aren't even something I think about, but being a PM, I don't need to I suppose. All in all, I still say that if you cache with any regularity, your PM is the best $30 you spend all year. Here's another thought: If you're going to buy a paperless GPSr, you're going to spend at least $150 for a new one, and likely a good bit more for a better unit. If you're spending that much on the unit, is $30 a year too much to actually be able to DO paperless?

To me, it's simple: Cache smarter, not harder. My PM fee is the best $30 I've spent in any of the last 3 years.

Later!

+ 1 again !

Once you get used to running PQ's, you'll wonder how you made do without them. Not to mention route planning, which PM allows you to do. We've done a few 4 day weekend road trips, and run the route PQ for it. MUCH easier than hunting down caches one at a time, and you get the full description, ratings and logs for each right on the GPS.

Here's another thought: If you're going to buy a paperless GPSr, you're going to spend at least $150 for a new one, and likely a good bit more for a better unit. If you're spending that much on the unit, is $30 a year too much to actually be able to DO paperless?

I don't have a GPS device at all. To me there's no advantage really in any of that.

I appreciate that's unusual. But it's one reason why "it depends on a number of factors" is a valid answer to the question of whether the $30 (I don't recall how many pounds that is nowadays) is the best $30 someone would spend in a year. There are other reasons as well of course.

Edited by Blue Square Thing