Cincinnati Geocaching Picnic #2

Guest regoarrarr

Guest bwware

For those of you that don't know about it yet, the "speculative date would be Saturday, April 27th" should be discussed! Seems this years picnic is brought to you by the one and only TEAM LEAD PIPE!!

Discuss......

Bill

Guest regoarrarr

I agree that it should be east-side since the last one was on the west side. I'd also like to request that it be on a Saturday as well as opposed to Sunday like it was last time.

East Fork is kind of far though - aren't there any parks closer to the middle of town? I know that Drake Park is over there - just found that park the other day - it's near Red Bank Road off of 71.

Guest mariner

TEAM LEAD PIPE!! I like the idea of having it on the eastern side of town, especially since we're over here (hehe) In my research from last year, Woodland Mound has a couple of shelters.. they're a bit more expensive than I imagine the last one was, but we'll probably have a bigger turnout this year. (between more cachers overall and more time to inform everyone) Another possibility, and more central-ish would be Sharon Woods. It was also expensive, but the place is huge, which would be good for an all-day caching adventure or multiple small cache-related ventures. I received some email on the subject of combining Geocaching and Orienteering. It seemed like a pretty cool idea, and would work well for a picnic event. Team Lead Pipe is also a group of grilled meat fanatics, so we need to be sure there's a grill and let everyone know about it. (We weren't sure last year, and figured we'd look stupid with a cooler full of uncooked steak) Throw any ideas out there, and let's get some discussions started. Lead Pipe!!

-Brent Bowser of Team Lead Pipe

brent@bowser.com

http://www.brent.bowser.com/leadpipe/

Woodland Mound has a second section called Steamboat Springs (am not sure on the Springs part). It is just across 52 from the park, making it very accessible from 275. They have some huge shelters. Don't know about the trail part though. You can always use one of the shelters at Woodland Mound that is non reservable. Someone just has to get there very, very, early in the morning and sit there.

Guest Draegon

I'll post another reply in a few days.

I may have another idea, though it would be further east than East Fork.

Also, check out the mention of an 'all ohio picnic' joined by our northern brethren from Cleveland and Columbus.

And last but not least, will this years picnic be a cache also?

------------------

Draegon

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio

Guest Draegon

r idea, though it would be further east than East Fork.

Also, check out the mention of an 'all ohio picnic' joined by our northern brethren from Cleveland and Columbus.

And last but not least, will this years picnic be a cache also?

------------------

Draegon

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio

Guest RobedOne

Brian here from Team Lead Pipe... The event caches plus the permanent cache at the last picnic were great ideas, so my thoughts are that we should do something similar. That way we'll all get our fill on the day of the event and still leave a permanent cache behind for everybody to come back to. If the event is held at Woodland Mound, it would also be nostalgic for Team Lead Pipe, as sjs102's cache there was the first we ever found!

At any rate, Woodland Mound does strike me as a good east side location that isn't too remote for those on the west side (as East Fork would likely be). I don't see a whole lot of comments on the date of the event... any problems with Sat. Apr. 27?

Guest regoarrarr

That works for me. Like I said before Saturday is much better for us than Sunday.

How will we work the food? At semi-large gatherings like this that I've been to before - sometimes it works for everyone to bring food for themselves and then just grill it there (assuming there is a grill there). Or we could just potluck it.

Guest mariner

TEAM LEAD PIPE!! I believe all members of TLP are fine with the 27th of April (especially since we were the ones who mentioned it) Recently, at TLP HQ, we held an event we called 'FoodFest', where we each brought individual items.. however it was up to Brent and Brian (the hosts) to prepare the main course, and it worked out very well. Given the unpredictability of turnout crossed with the upfront expense, I think it would be best if each group brought their main course along with them, and we had a group potluck of side dishes, desserts and snacks. This minimizes upfront expense for the host party (which looks like us this year) I think the donation jar from last year worked out pretty well, so we'll do that to pay for the shelter and events costs. Until then, Lead Pipe!

Guest DLiming

Woodland Mounds would be great, wanted to go back to that park anyway. The idea of bringing our own main dish and potluck side dish/deserets is a good idea. I have marked my calander for the 27 th already. Looking forward to meeting other cachers

the date sounds good to me. I definately think that bring your own food makes sense. and it seemed to work well last time. I think that woodland mound would be good. will be fun! and nice to put a face to all the new names!! icon_smile.gif Kim

the date sounds good to me. I definately think that bring your own food makes sense. and it seemed to work well last time. I think that woodland mound would be good. will be fun! and nice to put a face to all the new names!! icon_smile.gif Kim

Guest jim buzz

The date and all other plans so far sound good to me. After all the driving I've done so far in hunting for caches, I don't think a trip across town will be a problem. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the crazies in this business.

Guest Draegon

So then...

Date: April 27th

Place: Woodland Mound

Time: ? (Noon?)

Bring own main/side dishes to share, as well as a small item to place in the permanent cache?

And just in case... Miriner, check your email... I HAVE AN IDEA!

------------------

Draegon

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio

Guest RobedOne

So be it. I have no idea about the time (though noon would seems to work), but the date and location are set in the stone that is the skulls of Team Lead Pipe... (hey, wait a minute... tongue.gif ) I suppose nothing is entirely set in stone until we make certain a spot can be reserved, but this far in advance it should be no trouble.

Lead Pipe!!

By the way, be sure to check out TLP's new caches... they should be posted by tonight.

Guest mariner

TEAM LEAD PIPE!! Alright everyone... We have already begun the process of reserving a shelter in Woodland Mound park for April 27th. Set your calandars for this day. We have our eyes on the 'Steamboat Bend Shelter' which is capable of holding 250 people, has several outdoor grills, an on-site restroom facility, and horseshoe pits. To put things in perspective, the shelter last year was capable of holding 120 people. We will post this even just as soon as we have confirmation in hand. We will soon begin the process of planning the event that will take place. We've gotten quite a few interesting ideas, and will probably put some of them into action. We'll also be sure to toss in a little of our classic brand of creative flare. Until then, Lead Pipe!!

Guest The Huegleys

OK, So I have only been a Geocacher for one weekend.... but it's hugely addicting. Count the Huegleys in for the picnic, I'm dying to put faces to the names that we see over and over again in the cache logs. Thanks for all the tips and hints that you emailed me in response to my newbie cry for help! What's a TROLL?? Is this picnic a kid type thing? Ya'll purty much rock, make sure everyone wears name tags!! Michelle Huegley

Oh, when ya'll started this, did you like call all your friends and say, "You should totally come, it's awesome " and then did your friends say, " uh, helllo dork, whatever " or something similar? Or is it just my friends??

[This message has been edited by The Huegleys (edited 20 February 2002).]