Geocaching is so frustrating so far!

KatoftheAli

My boyfriend bought me a GPS (PN-60 Earthmate) for Christmas for the purpose of geocaching. This is something I have wanted to try for years. We have searched for 3 geocaches and could not find any. The GPS seems to be inaccurate. Sometimes it says you are 6 meters away, and then at the same spot it will say 30 meters! In such a large area, we had a really hard time figuring out where to look. We thought we were close to the last one, confirmed by another geocacher we ran into, but we could not find it. It's frustrating trying to figure out how to use the GPS and not finding anything!

My boyfriend bought me a GPS (PN-60 Earthmate) for Christmas for the purpose of geocaching. This is something I have wanted to try for years. We have searched for 3 geocaches and could not find any. The GPS seems to be inaccurate. Sometimes it says you are 6 meters away, and then at the same spot it will say 30 meters! In such a large area, we had a really hard time figuring out where to look. We thought we were close to the last one, confirmed by another geocacher we ran into, but we could not find it. It's frustrating trying to figure out how to use the GPS and not finding anything!

Try to start out with beginner caches/ 1/1 finds, such as lamp posts/ guard rail magnetic key holders, etc. And, don't forget to read the hints in the cache description for a little nudge in the right direction!

Also, if you have a smartphone you could try using a geocaching app for that. I started with my Android and am still using it - I find it to be quite accurate.

Edited by RTechS

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Hello, KatoftheAli.

There is a lot to learn at first.

I recommend setting down something outdoors, e.g., a bucket. Mark the coordinates with your GPS. Then walk away a dozen or more meters and use your GPS to navigate to the object you placed. How close do you get?

Second, do not expect that your GPS will say "0 meters" when you are at the cache location. Consumer-grade GPS units do not have that degree of precision. 6 meters leeway is not bad. I think you can get even better accuracy unless you are next to a skyscraper or the like. Let the GPS settle down. When you are within 10 meters or so, start looking for a potential hiding place instead of trying to get the distance reading to 0. If you still have no luck, you can see if the GPS is still indicating the same location.

Is there snow on the ground where you are now?

Geocaching isn't frustrating. Learning a GPSr and it's use can be.

First and foremost... when you get real close to the cache... like when the GPSr indicates <20 ft., put the device away. It has done what it is gonna do. NOW, you must start looking for the cache, or its hiding spot.

It will not take you to the cache -- it will only take you to the coordinates that the cache is supposed to be at. Even then, many factors can (and do) make it so the cache may not be AT those coordinates. Close perhaps, but not AT.

The most accurate response is... If you are looking at the device, you at looking at (for) the wrong thing.

Next... in that you (apparently) haven't found a cache, I need to ask, do you really know just what you are looking for? Some caches (not many) are the size of a 55 gallon drum. I fear what you may be looking for is something anywhere between the size of a sandwich-size glad container down to something the size of a pencil eraser.

OK... if it is the size of an eraser off the top of a pencil, just where could it hide? To make matters even better, it may well be camouflaged to the point that you can even have it in your hand and not recognize it to be a cache.

Feeling better, now? Probably not, I suspect.

Geocaching is easy, IF you turn your brain off. Forget all preconceived ideas of just what a cache is gonna look like. They are hidden in order to prevent passersby from noticing it. Based on that, you have to think like something other than a passerby!

You ain't gonna believe that most all (quite possibly all) geocacher score a DNF (Did Not Find). If you ever come across one that says otherwise, he or she is.... well, lying. I'm talking experienced cachers, not newbies.

Lessee here... did you think to look up? They're not all on the ground, ya know. Maybe it was hanging a foot over your head. How about looking for a magnetized cache on a post or sign, did you do that? Maybe even a fencepost or fire hydrant. Not knowing exactly what you are looking for, it could very well be something you see every day -- aside from the fact that it has been hollowed out.

Now... about your GPSr... when you close in on the coordinates (closer than 20 ft) it starts to get confused. It wants to put you right on top of the coordinates, but those satellites are hundreds of miles away (and to top that off, they are moving, as is the earth itself). Because it starts "guessing" which direction you need to go, it starts jumping this way, that way and again another way. When you see that happen -- put it away. It has done what it can do, the rest is up to you.

Truth be told, you simply have not had enough experience using one as of yet. You need to develop a familiarity with it and learn what to make of what it is trying to tell you. Practice makes perfect. As you Find and Do Not Find caches, you will learn those things. I or we can tell you everything you need to know, but it would take nearly forever and, your brain wouldn't hold it all anyway. You need to experience it.

We use a PN-40 (an older version of your PN-60) and have been through three Garmin units and an iPhone app. Your device is as accurate as any of the others -- and I think it is even better than those (but then, we all have our opinions).

Don't give up! Follow the suggestions above, and also be sure your GPS is set to the correct datum - someone jump in please...my mind has gone blank here...

We still have days when we don't find the cache, and newbies such as you are posting "quick and easy find!" Always log a DNF (did not find) on the cache as the cache owner may give you a hint, especially if you mention that this it is your first attempt. Go to Geocaching 101where you'll find some reading material that I still find helpful!

If you are still experiencing difficulty working your GPS and finding caches, here's another suggestion to get you on your geocaching way.....

Have a look at the profile of people who have hidden caches in your area. If they have a large number of finds, (perhaps over 1000) and have hidden a few caches (say 10 or more) then try contacting them (through their profile page) and tell them you're new to the game and having a few difficulties. See if they are willing to act as a mentor for you and arrange to go on a hunt with them especially to the ones you have looked for and been unable to find. Geocachers are very friendly people and I'm sure you will have no difficulty finding someone to help. I've assisted a few new players to get into the swing of the game often giving them subtle hints while standing at GZ. They eventually make the find and that "Aha!!" smile, scream, laugh, yell, just says it all! :laughing:

Any chance you're putting the PN-60 in your pocket? With a clear view of the sky, my PN-60 normally takes me within 10 feet of ground zero, but if I put it in my pocket while I'm searching, its accuracy is reduced to about what you're seeing. In addition, the PN-60 takes a while to settle after you've been moving, so don't get too married to where it tells you to look until you've been at GZ for a few minutes.

Map Datum. You need to make sure this is set correctly. Page 60 in the user guide explains this. You need the Primary coords to be on Degrees, Minutes and datum WGS84.

I guess you have the user guide but you can download a PDF version here which is easy to search for keywords.

Understanding how to use the GPS before going caching. Try this. Stand outside your house on the street. Wait a few moments for the GPS to get a clear signal then mark the location - create a waypoint - just press the button marked with a pushpin. Now go and walk down your street about quarter of a mile - or more if you're adventurous!. In the GPS use the Find button (magnifying glass) to select the waypoint you created for your house and using the GPS navigate back to it. Obviously you know where you're going but watch the GPS compass and distance countdown so you can understand what it's telling you. Once you are comfortable using the GPS and it's showing a pretty good accuracy then go off and look for more caches.

On my resource site (link under my signature) the page on GPS explains about the various features, accuracy etc which may be helpful.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Edited by Graculus

As others have already alluded to, don't depend entirely on the GPS to find the cache for you. Some new users wander around in circles at the cache site trying to get the GPS to read zero (which it almost never does) and then assume that if it's reading zero the cache has to be right exactly there under their feet.

In reality, consumer grade GPS units just aren't THAT accurate. Expect it to get you within a few yards, not inches. After it gets you there, finding the hiding spot is up to you.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Once you find a few and start to realize what you're looking for and how they're usually hidden, it will get easier.

I have the same unit and find it to be fairly accurate. But, like others have said, it only gets you near the cache. You can highlight beginner caches on the listing pages. I did that with my mom last week. They were super easy for me and she was able to find them herself within 5 min and build her confidence. That should help you start learning how they might be hidden. It is definitely more fun when you can actually find some!

Map Datum. You need to make sure this is set correctly. Page 60 in the user guide explains this. You need the Primary coords to be on Degrees, Minutes and datum WGS84.

I guess you have the user guide but you can download a PDF version here which is easy to search for keywords.

Understanding how to use the GPS before going caching. Try this. Stand outside your house on the street. Wait a few moments for the GPS to get a clear signal then mark the location - create a waypoint - just press the button marked with a pushpin. Now go and walk down your street about quarter of a mile - or more if you're adventurous!. In the GPS use the Find button (magnifying glass) to select the waypoint you created for your house and using the GPS navigate back to it. Obviously you know where you're going but watch the GPS compass and distance countdown so you can understand what it's telling you. Once you are comfortable using the GPS and it's showing a pretty good accuracy then go off and look for more caches.

On my resource site (link under my signature) the page on GPS explains about the various features, accuracy etc which may be helpful.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Thanks for helping out with the Map Datum info Graculus! Greetings from an ex-pat in Canada.

I've been geocaching for a year now with a little over 300 finds and at least a dozen or more DNF. I was very frustrated at first, my a-ha moment was the day I went out with my cousin, a very experienced geocacher, for a full day at a local state park. She walked me through all my questions & found a location with different types of caches. She uses Etrek H & had planned very well for our day. From that day forward I was full steam ahead. I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S2 with the c:geo app & very pleased with it minus the fact that once you turn on GPS it sucks your battery fast. I like being able to just pull up a map & see nearby caches & not have to preplan. I am looking into buying a handheld & am leaning towards the Oregon 450 by suggestion of previous mentioned cousin. So, with all that said, my suggestion is a day with a patient, experienced geocacher will probably help tremendously.

*curious about problem with c:geo not being an approved app? I'm pretty sure I first heard about it on the official geocaching Web site.

As I skimmed through the posts, I did not notice it being said... My advice is to attend an event or 2 in your area, make some friends with the local geocaching crowd, and ask them to help you out, like mentoring. They have more experance and can help you in the field a lot better than trying to figure it out on your own. I do give you a pat on the back for coming here with your fustration to seek advice rather than to just give up and walk away altogether.

I agree with SirBowen.

Caching with an experienced Geocacher would be a great help. reach out to some local cachers and introduce yourself. Attend a Geocaching event. Geocaching with other people can be quite fun.

Not only will your chances of finding the caches increase, it would be a great opportunity to ask questions and have someone there to give you the answers.

Good luck

Edited by justintim1999

Sometimes my Etrex will take me right to the cache. Other times it will have me 100 feet away. Sometimes bad coordinates, sometimes someone moved it, sometimes just the thing trying to commit suicide by yanking my chain. Not to mention I am about as dumb as I look. One of my earliest caches I was supposed to be at ground zero according to the GPS. I stood there looking around for the rocks that were supposed to be there and happened to look at the GPS again and it now showed me 30' away and then 70' and then 100' away. Every time I moved off and started over it would take me back to that same spot which would then start moving all over the place again. As was warned in the cache description, the hills and trees would not allow for good readings. Lots of wind helped mess it up even more. The cache description gave pretty good directions and descriptions of what you would see so that you could follow them and find the cache without a GPS at all but it did require tramping through the trees and down from the railroad bed towards the creek. It was located about 75' from what the GPS kept indicating was ground zero and not in a direction the GPS indicated at all as being the cache location. A tough cache for early on.

Even if it takes you to ground zero, you may not recognize the cache. One I found was a stick that had been cut, the inside drilled, and then reassembled with a pivot to keep it together. Right there in plain sight but not what you would expect as a new cacher. One other was a bison tube glued to a large bolt head inserted into a hole drilled into a fence post. Another was a cap on a metal fence post that had to be taken off to find the cache glued to the bottom of it. So your GPS may be bringing you right to the cache and you're not seeing it. One very useful thing is to read the cache description and be prepared to think about puns. One had a hint that it was hidden behind the "Tree-0". After I found it I got the hint -- it was hidden behind the tree with three branches off the root -- trio. Other hints may not mean much -- one we found was easy because we are old and "good old Alfred Hitchcock" as a hint told me to go look in the bird house ("The Birds" was one of his famous movies from early 60s). My wife's nephew and girlfriend did not get that at all since they're about 25. However, the birdhouse seemed to be in an odd place so it drew them to it.

So, read cache descriptions and logs before looking, make notes about possible hints, and open your mind to the less than obvious things around you.

c:geo is NOT an approved app. I heard about it in the forums, and it apparently scrapes the data from Groundspeak. There are other approved apps, one being NeonGeo I believe.

edit:typo

Not to hijack topic, but also dont want to start a whole new topic as it's not something that can change, but having just downloaded NeonGeo I saw that it's limited to basic users for 3 caches per day.

That's fine, that's reasonable. HOWEVER, I find it a rip that a refresh of a cache you downloaded already counts as a new cache. So I might download one today with the intent to do it, not get to it until next week, and then want to refresh to see if any issues with the cache (needs maintenence, disabled) have arisen, but now that counts as a new cache. Heck, even if I refresh it the same day I downloaded it (if you want to argue about hoarding cache info during non-caching days)!

Being in South Africa, and not a high income earner, I don't have much money to spend on geocaching subscriptions and apps, so it's disappointing where the affordable, approved, apps for a free geocaching account have extra limitations (note I said extra limitations. I 100% understand the reasoning for limiting caches per day).

Just sucks.

/rant

c:geo is NOT an approved app. I heard about it in the forums, and it apparently scrapes the data from Groundspeak. There are other approved apps, one being NeonGeo I believe.

Not to hijack topic, but also dont want to start a whole new topic as it's not something that can change, but having just downloaded NeonGeo I saw that it's limited to basic users for 3 caches per day.

That's fine, that's reasonable. HOWEVER, I find it a rip that a refresh of a cache you downloaded already counts as a new cache. So I might download one today with the intent to do it, not get to it until next week, and then want to refresh to see if any issues with the cache (needs maintenence, disabled) have arisen, but now that counts as a new cache. Heck, even if I refresh it the same day I downloaded it (if you want to argue about hoarding cache info during non-caching days)!

Being in South Africa, and not a high income earner, I don't have much money to spend on geocaching subscriptions and apps, so it's disappointing where the affordable, approved, apps for a free geocaching account have extra limitations (note I said extra limitations. I 100% understand the reasoning for limiting caches per day).

Just sucks.

/rant

While it may seem not right or mean, you're getting those apps for free people have worked hard to build them so you can use them. If they want, they could limit you to one cache per lifetime unless you pay. Even using c:geo you get a lot of entertainment for free. I do t get three free meals at a restaraunt before I have to pay. I don't get three free tanks of gas for my car. So why do you deserve a full functioning, non restricted app for free?

There's lots of hobbies and pastimes I'd love to try but can't afford, but that doesn't mean I should not have to pay...

Here's a good example of the GPS only getting you there.

Yesterday, my hubby and I set off through the mud to start a long multi cache. The first waypoint, the coords are spot on. I literally walked up to the first hint. Second waypoint, I was 10 meter off and looking on the wrong side of the trail. 3rd, my GPS said I had 30 more meter to go, but the tube with the hint was right there. By the 4th one, once we got within about 50 meter we just put our devices away because we noticed an interesting pattern of where the hints were being stashed. We just needed to get to the round about location, look for a big old interesting gnarled looking tree, done. ;-)

Also, as others said, caches could be above your head. They can be at your feet on the ground. They can be shoved in a crack and be well disguised. You could be holding a rock that has a secret compartment or keep stepping on the darn thing. (this has happened a few times now)

I can tell you though, the more you do, the more you see, the less likely you'll be "tricked". And when you are tricked, you'll be tickled it wasn't another film canister. ;-)

Here's a good example of the GPS only getting you there.

Yesterday, my hubby and I set off through the mud to start a long multi cache. The first waypoint, the coords are spot on. I literally walked up to the first hint. Second waypoint, I was 10 meter off and looking on the wrong side of the trail. 3rd, my GPS said I had 30 more meter to go, but the tube with the hint was right there. By the 4th one, once we got within about 50 meter we just put our devices away because we noticed an interesting pattern of where the hints were being stashed. We just needed to get to the round about location, look for a big old interesting gnarled looking tree, done. ;-)

Also, as others said, caches could be above your head. They can be at your feet on the ground. They can be shoved in a crack and be well disguised. You could be holding a rock that has a secret compartment or keep stepping on the darn thing. (this has happened a few times now)

I can tell you though, the more you do, the more you see, the less likely you'll be "tricked". And when you are tricked, you'll be tickled it wasn't another film canister. ;-)

That's a great post - thanks.

Newer cachers should read it again, and again, and again.

And then, again.

Edited to add: I see you're a PlM candidate - this post will help your application.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

Oh, yes. Very true!! I did part of a series yesterday and was so glad that none of the hides were film canisters at the base of a post--as many of another nearby series are.

Just sucks.

/rant

While it may seem not right or mean, you're getting those apps for free people have worked hard to build them so you can use them. If they want, they could limit you to one cache per lifetime unless you pay. Even using c:geo you get a lot of entertainment for free. I do t get three free meals at a restaraunt before I have to pay. I don't get three free tanks of gas for my car. So why do you deserve a full functioning, non restricted app for free?

There's lots of hobbies and pastimes I'd love to try but can't afford, but that doesn't mean I should not have to pay...

Not complaining about a limited app at all. Was mainly pointing out that caches I've already downloaded shouldn't count as a new cache on a refresh.

And Geocaching punts itself as being a hobby for everyone, and not needing fancy equipment/apps etc. But perhaps I misinterperated this when looking up geocaching and got it wrong, which is also possible.

But to reiterate, not moaning about limited apps, just that specific limitation I felt is unecessary. But that's just my opinion :)

Edit: to add italics for emphasis :)

Edited by Rat_Tails

That's not a limitation of the app, that's a restriction of Groundspeaks database for non-paying members. So, every third party software accessing the database shows this limit of "3 per day"/"traditional caches only".

It's kind of reasonable to allow heavy online database usage only those who support it by paying. Groundspeak is the biggest source for geocache data and I can imagine they have a lot of database accesses every split second.

And Geocaching punts itself as being a hobby for everyone, and not needing fancy equipment/apps etc. But perhaps I misinterperated this when looking up geocaching and got it wrong, which is also possible.

If you just don't want to spend money for a PM account @ Groundspeak: You only need reading skills, hypertext transfer protocol (http) browser access to the internet, a GPS device and time plus the ability to go on the hunt. Even Groundspeak then gives you access to all of their cache data (even to PM caches, but thats an additional puzzle) and you can follow the coordinates to the cache. That's the way geocachers did it all the time in pre-smartphone era and still do it today. You really don't need an app.

If you still insist on having free app access to more than three caches per day without applying for a paid membership @Groundspeak: There are other cache listing databases, which don't have such download limitations in their business model. And there are free apps with access to those open cache listing databases.

That's not a limitation of the app, that's a restriction of Groundspeaks database for non-paying members. So, every third party software accessing the database shows this limit of "3 per day"/"traditional caches only".

It's kind of reasonable to allow heavy online database usage only those who support it by paying. Groundspeak is the biggest source for geocache data and I can imagine they have a lot of database accesses every split second.

If you just don't want to spend money for a PM account @ Groundspeak: You only need reading skills, hypertext transfer protocol (http) browser access to the internet, a GPS device and time plus the ability to go on the hunt. Even Groundspeak then gives you access to all of their cache data (even to PM caches, but thats an additional puzzle) and you can follow the coordinates to the cache. That's the way geocachers did it all the time in pre-smartphone era and still do it today. You really don't need an app.

If you still insist on having free app access to more than three caches per day without applying for a paid membership @Groundspeak: There are other cache listing databases, which don't have such download limitations in their business model. And there are free apps with access to those open cache listing databases.

All very good points :) Thanks!

While a GPS is not typically 100% accurate, you could try to do a so-called geo-dance when you get close. Walk in circles, walk past and see the arrow of your compass change direction as you walk past, approach from different directions and see what general area your GPS brings you to. If the same spot comes up repeatedly, chances are it's there -- with the caveat that both you and the cache owner might suffer from some coordinate errors.

When I first started I would get frustrated too. My phone didn't seem too accurate but mostly it was just developing an eye for hiding spots. Once you find one of a certain type, those types are easier to spot again. Geocaching involves a lot of forehead slapping at first LOL at least in my case it did. I'm almost to 100 caches because my wife had bad allergies before and I like to spend time with her but I get out when I can. It's still a lil frustrating sometimes but you pick it up as you do it! Good luck out there!