Custom Trackers

MW.outof.FL

Morning,

I am hoping to get some help. I am very new to geocashing, but my mom and dad did it all the time when they traveled in their RV. I have recently gotten into it myself. I see there are trackables you can scan and some look like they have a code. My question is there custom Trackable Items? What I want to do is buy some that say "In Memory of EBinFL" (My dads handle) and while geocashing spread them out. The goal of this is to eventually on my moms birthday show her how all the tags have spread everywhere, and I think its simply a great way to honor and remember my dad.

In short:

1. How do I create a custom/personal Trackable Item?
  2. Make sure the items are trackable, i.e. people can log where they found it and they move around/travel.

I am pretty sure I am asking a very basic/stupid question but I only have one geocash logged to my name a while ago and it was simply a log sheet.

Very Respectfully

MW.outof.FL

You must purchase those items... try the "Shop Geocaching" in the SHOP drop-down window on geocaching.com opening page.

Your purchase includes the unique tracking number. You cannot create and use a number of your own choosing.

You can however, attach it to any item you so desire.

Thanks. I actually googled it right after asking the question. So far the best I found is this.

http://www.coinsandpins.com/personalized-geocoins/travel-tag-engraving/geo-nick-stick-4set#.UsRwxnmyVWY

I was hoping for something a bit more stylish but honestly this suits my needs perfectly. If anyone knows of any other sites please let me know. Thanks.

In the Shop Geocaching section that Gitchee mentioned, you have a couple of options....you can buy some ordinary Travel Bug dog tags and attach them to any item at all (anything that will fit into the average cache, anyway) to make that item trackable at Geocaching.com. So you could attach them to something that represents your father's life or interests and send them out that way. That would be your more economical option.

Now, if you want something really special and are willing to spend a good deal more, you can have custom Geocoins made....you can create the design and the coin itself is trackable. They're very nice but pricey.

Just know that a very large percentage of trackables do go missing regularly. Some people don't understand that they're meant to be trackable, not collectible, and some others understand that but are just thieves. And yet others pick them up meaning to move them along, but forget to drop them off as they disappear in the dark recesses of their caching bag.

I think either option would be a great way to honor the memory of a departed Geocacher. But I would spend a little time learning about trackables and maybe do a little caching yourself, and move some trackables around to see how that whole process works.

By the way, it's "cache", not "cash"....😊

Here's a link to the page for a trackable Geocoin that I own (I won it as a door prize at a Geocaching event)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=4573406

I never place this particular coin in a cache.....I carry it with me and log a "visit" to each cache I find. This is a way to track my mileage while Geocaching. Also, other cachers that I meet can log a "discovered" log on my coin.

You'll notice that I blacked out the tracking number in the picture. This is to prevent anyone who sees the picture from logging it....you have to actually have met me and seem the coin in person to log it, or found a trackable in a cache and actually seen the tracking number.

This one....

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3560432

...is another trackable that I own that I just placed in my newest cache. It hasn't been retrieved by anyone yet so it's still logged into my cache. This is simpler Travel Bug dog tag that you can attach to any item (the tracking number is on the back of the tag....again, we don't post pictures of the tracking number 😎

You do have to purchase the tag or coin (or at least the tracking number) from Groundspeak for it to be trackable at the GC.com website, though.

Edited by Chief301

Thanks. I actually googled it right after asking the question. So far the best I found is this.

http://www.coinsandpins.com/personalized-geocoins/travel-tag-engraving/geo-nick-stick-4set#.UsRwxnmyVWY

I was hoping for something a bit more stylish but honestly this suits my needs perfectly. If anyone knows of any other sites please let me know. Thanks.

If you go with those tags, I would suggest attaching an additional item to the chain, maybe a laminated business card size note explaining what you want to accomplish. Two reasons: one is that finders might be more inclined to take care to move it if they understand what you want and the other is simply that the tag itself is so small that it could easily be lost in someone's pack or car, or the bottom of a cache.

Also, the website states that these tags can't be stolen. Of course that isn't true; they can just as easily be stolen as any other trackable item. I guess they mean that they can't be reused by the person who steals them, but that also is true of any other trackable.

If you go with those tags, I would suggest attaching an additional item to the chain, maybe a laminated business card size note explaining what you want to accomplish. Two reasons: one is that finders might be more inclined to take care to move it if they understand what you want and the other is simply that the tag itself is so small that it could easily be lost in someone's pack or car, or the bottom of a cache.

Also, the website states that these tags can't be stolen. Of course that isn't true; they can just as easily be stolen as any other trackable item. I guess they mean that they can't be reused by the person who steals them, but that also is true of any other trackable.

True.... This is probably my better option. Thanks. I might just go with a normal tag+personal tag attached.