Photo competition - January 2014

I!

Thanks to sussamb for putting me in the hot seat for January 2014. This month's theme is "lost treasures" and the rules are a little non-standard ...

Short version

• Find a cache that was finally archived in 2009 or earlier.
  • Take a photo; upload it as a "write note" log on the archived cache page.
  • Post a link to the photo here.
  • Photos must be taken in January 2014. The competition closes on 1st February.

This competition is as much about the historical interest of discovering an abandoned cache site as it is about your ability with a camera. The more interesting the cache site or circumstances of its creation or destruction, the better your chances!

Long version

Discovering archived caches

Unless you've retained years of PQs in your GSAK database (in which case stop reading - you don't need further help), it can be tricky to identify caches that have been off the grid for 4+ years. Here's one way to do it: find old caches placed by the original finders of old caches placed by the original finders of ...(etc).

Let's say we're looking for old caches near Wincanton. Start with an active cache (GC22FP8, say) and, on the listing page, click on "Find ... all nearby caches" (try it!). You'll get a list like this.

We want to find local players that have been caching a while, so page down through that list until we identify some oldish active caches. GC160Y1, currently on page 3, is one such cache:

• 04439605-e040-463d-a2cc-fcc3dc480ea3.png

Great, so now we know that the CO, "Witches Cat", was active locally before 2010. And, clicking on the listing, we see that the early finders, Achaos, Lydlinch Glovers, and more, were also caching locally in 2007. Maybe one of these placed a local cache that has since been archived? Let's check their profiles!

• Witches Cat ... no old ones archived.
  • Achaos ... lots of old ones archived, none very close to Wincanton.
  • Lydlinch Glovers ... no.
  • La Doderies ... no.
  • Dorset land-rovers ... no.
  • PurplePenguin ... no.
  • darapotter ... no.
  • diddaroo ... no.
  • RodentNoir ... no.

Oh dear, this is looking difficult! Perhaps we should have started with an older listing. So instead of working from Cucklington Ridge, let's try GCPF38:

• 36480915-54d1-40b6-9e58-13b9df1789d5.png

Round we go again, checking profiiles:

• merecats ... no
  • 2MMs ... bingo! Several old archived caches are fairly close to Wincanton, e.g. Tumulus View (GCNJWP).

So there we have it. With some pain, we identified Tumulus View, archived in 2007, as a place to visit for this month's photo competition.

Thank you, my undead friend :)

I figured that, what with the weather being so grotty, a bit of historical research (safely indoors, wrapped in duvet, drinking hot chocolate) might quite appeal. I enjoyed compiling this list in exactly the manner described in the opening post. As a local, you might find it useful!

Edit to add: if anyone wants a hand identifying old archived listings near to home then let me know - I'd be happy to help.

Edited by I!

"Find a cache that was finally archived in 2009 or earlier.

Take a photo; upload it as a "write note" log on the archived cache page."

But... but... but...

A cache get archived because it's disappear and the CO decides they don't want to replace it (for whatever reason) or the CO decides it's been out long enough, doesn't get many finds, so they archive it and go and collect the old container.

So, what you're really asking for is photographs of archived caches where the CO hasn't collected in their geo-litter - Not just go and "find a cache archived before 2009".

I really hope such examples are very few and very far between.

MrsB

I think he is saying that we are to search for a cache that was archived in 2009. Then go and photograph the exact location it 'was'. Not to see if the co was lazy/died/couldn't find it when they searched for it, and then photograph the evidence. Course I could be wrong.

I didn't think you could write or do anything on an archived cache. But I guess you can.

Edited by Seaglass Pirates

SP has it right: go to the final coordinates of a cache listing that was finally archived pre-2010. The aim is to discover sites that ye venerable cachers of olde had singled-out, not cleaning-up any junk that may remain. Apologies for being unclear.

I can't update the head post, hence the highlighting. I'm not shouting, I promise.

Edited to change "published" coordinates to "final" coordinates. So, yep, if it's a puzzle then you have to solve it, too ...! For example, it looks like Eggs & Cherry (GC15KWW, archived June 2009) might be a good one for Seaglass Pirates to visit, but they'll have to crack the puzzle first :)

Edited by I!

I see no pix as yet. Hmm need to remedy that. When rain stops.

For Cumbria had already created a public list of archived caches as new cachers place their proud hides in old locations. Who knew it would useful.

I know of one location on Birkrigg Common which was a GZ which was archived before I found GC. Very photogenic GZ

http://coord.info/GL2YNP2V log by GAZ is an example re-used location.

Edited by flipflopnick

Here is mine it is Lacock - Wilts and was by The Wombles.

Managed to get out today in-between rain to have a look around the Village.

Who were one of the first people to set out Geo-caches in the UK as you will see this was hidden on the 11/11/2001 and was laid to rest in the first part of 2003.

I have done quite a few of the older caches by the Wombles Still a few left to do though, One which I have done is the Cuckoo cache(GC4C35) one of only a few moving caches left.

My link

Same photo on the cache page but thought it needed a bit of colour on the forum page.

IMG_0108_zps94fe4c45.jpg

After seeing the site and have now seen there is no Church Micro for the church I'm going to place a new cache a CM and honour The Wombles with it to.

Thanks CaveBadgerMan

Edited by CaveBadgerMan

I've look'd and Have managed to spot a couple .... defiantly something different , who know the locations may even be re used again ...? we could all place NEW cache in them locations .. or very near if they could

Seems CacheBadgerMan's going to do just that! I did, too, a while back: my Leckhampton Ridge cache is in precisely the same position as one that was archived years earlier. I was amazed that no-one else had bagged the spot, as the view from there is tremendous.

I know of one location on Birkrigg Common which was a GZ which was archived before I found GC. Very photogenic GZ

Like GC16VYN, for example? Let's see a photo! B)

Going out this weekend with camera weather permitting to Birkrigg Common. Above archived GC was not on my radar, thanx now it is.

What I have noticed when trawling through archived GCs is cachers boosting their numbers by retro logging archived GCs where CO has faded away. Often the box and log book have been removed. Canny! How do I know? I have removed the geolitter and not logged the removal.

Also cachers who retro log when they get a solitary account from being in a team. <-- OK

Also I am guilty of the following. Placing a GC in same place as archived GC. This occurs when adoption is not possible but GZ is good and popular.

I have enjoyed looking back to see where the UK Pioneers put their caches , although this photo is not taken at GZ , GZ would just be a field ? so this is looking up at GZ from the viewing point on the A30

Oh, nice find. I didn't know about the Fovant Badges. Good spot for a cache :)

d9c89fc5-c5a8-40d5-8ad0-09f66b7fb229.jpg?rnd=0.5363829

Im begining to like looking back at all the old cache sites ... I hope most of you will know where this photo's taken

but to add a twist Ive taken it from the BOTTOM of the hill , unlike most you may have seen taken from the top .

the cache was :- http://coord.info/GC9349

and was live from 25/Sep/2002 until 30/Jan/2008

Edited by little-leggs

This is a very interesting challenge and has provided me with many happy hours searching - I'm lucky that the NE had some fairly active cachers in the early days.

A local cacher mentioned an archived cache placed in 2001 that had recently had a found log but when I looked it was archived in 2011. Still, it's an old date and as the cache is still there it counts right :) Getting to GZ it was obvious despite having coords 50m out. So obvious that local walkers had been signing the book.

Then I started looking for other archived caches that might still be there. I came up with a list of 6 with the most likely fairly close to the first one. I arrived on site after a lovely drive along remote, gated single track Northumberland lanes to find an interesting looking structure as part of a DSW. Sure enough the cache was still safe and dry so my name was added to the log and photos were taken.

The cache is http://coord.info/GC6012, placed on 03/06/2002 and archived in 2007

1377460f-7862-4919-b500-7f94ca725530.jpg

An hour after the photo was taken I was in horizontal driving snow.

After that I got greedy and looked for onee that had been archived in 2005 and hadn't been found since 2003. No chance! It was a good walk though and there was a new cache at the end.

Off out again today to try 4 more archived ones. One definitely won't have a container but is 'quirky'

Edited by duncanhoyle
Then I started looking for other archived caches that might still be there. I came up with a list of 6 with the most likely fairly close to the first one. I arrived on site after a lovely drive along remote, gated single track Northumberland lanes to find an interesting looking structure as part of a DSW. Sure enough the cache was still safe and dry so my name was added to the log and photos were taken.

The cache is http://coord.info/GC6012, placed on 03/06/2002 and archived in 2007

Very impressed with this one, especially as you managed to find the container nearly seven years after archiving! Out of interest, I wonder what the previous finder meant by "I think that I understand why it was archived" -- can you shed some light?

Competition's hotting up ... looking forward to more great discoveries this weekend :)

Very impressed with this one, especially as you managed to find the container nearly seven years after archiving! Out of interest, I wonder what the previous finder meant by "I think that I understand why it was archived" -- can you shed some light?

Competition's hotting up ... looking forward to more great discoveries this weekend :)

The rather prominent dry stone wall might be the key

I haven't gotten far yet. And in case I don't get the chance to in the next few days, I thought I would do a close one.

This was taken from GZ of what was GCAE4C Roman Amphitheatre (Cirencester, Glocs), by The Wombles. Hidden 28th Nov 2002, finally archived 7th Apr 2004 because the location had been compromised. There have been a few more caches hidden in the general area since, one of which I have found. But this particular one was way before my time.

I took the dog out for a walk this afternoon, and headed there as it's only a half mile from home. I knew the general area already, and planned to take a photo of one of the wood carvings that are in situ now. But when I got to the carvings I found I was still over 100' from the original GZ and so went further into the wood to have a look. I just expected to see a tree to be honest.. a tree surrounded by other trees. But I found the area had been cleared. So I got myself a different photo. I stood by what I believed was the original tree the cache would have been hidden at, and took a shot of this large felled tree with its limbs chopped.

Only a phone cam shot. Not that I can use that as an excuse now seeing some of the phone shots of late, but hey :lol:

14d1bb31-dfbd-46f8-8df1-ce3e99937c7e.jpg

Well that was fun. Now, remembering that this competition was as much about the story behind the cache as it was the photo ...

• ... in
    third place
    , with my favourite photo,
    little-leggs
    and

d9c89fc5-c5a8-40d5-8ad0-09f66b7fb229.jpg

• ... in
    second place
    , with points for fooling me into thinking, at first, "he's cheated!" because it was so sunny, and for placing his own cache where the archived one once sat,
    CaveBadgerMan
    and

8728eb68-e623-424b-8556-7fe4d126e750.jpg

• ... and the
    winner
    , by virtue of a good photo and, miraculously, actually finding the cache nearly seven years after the listing was archived,
    duncanhoyle
    and

Thank you to all entrants and well done to those three in particular for a tricky judging challenge!

Over to duncanhoyle for next month's competition and, perhaps, a return to photo comp sanity. :anibad: