New User - Need GPS Buying Advice

WoodGlue

Hello,

I'm new here and new to geocaching.

I'd like to spend around $200.00 for a new GPS and I'm having trouble deciding which model to buy.

As far as I can tell, it will be a tossup between the Garmin eTrex 20 and the Garmin Dakota 20. The problem I always have when buying a new gadget (of any kind) is "underbuying" or trying to "cheap out" LOL and I don't want to make this mistake with a new GPS. My price limit isn't $200.00, however I'm not looking to buy a Mercedes Benz when a Honda will get me there safely.

If you had around $200.00 to spend and had to buy one or the other, which model would you choose and why? If you can make a case for a more expensive GPS, I'm willing to be swayed.

Thanks for your help and advice. Happy New Year too!

WoodGlue

Kinda depends on your interface preference, touch screen or tiny little joystick. I started with one of the old Etrex units (pre-paperless) and worked with it for about a year before I decided I wanted to upgrade to the Oregon 550. I prefer the touchscreen on the Oregon but there were numerous other advantages, like paperless caching.

I've read some good comments about the new generation of Etrex, which of course do paperless now. The Dakota is a tried and proven unit as well. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Hi there,

I bought the eTrex 20 for about 160 USD back in October.

Pros

Paperless geocaching

Many Waypoints

Good Battery Life

Small and Lightweight

Good for 200 dollar price range

Has GPS+GLONASS (more accuracy)

Calculator+Stopwatch+Calendar+Hunt/Fish functions

Cons

Crappy Basemap

Small screen

Not Touchscreen

Bad instruction manual

I was quite impressed with this as a first GPS, and the money was quite worth it.

Hope this helps,

Maxwell

Crappy Basemap

Small screen

Not Touchscreen

Bad instruction manual

Can't do anything about #2 and #3, but free maps can be downloaded from gpsfiledepot.com (or talkytoaster in the UK), and a full manual can be downloaded from Garmin's website (why they don't include the full manual in the box I don't know)

I ended up buying the Garmin Dakota 20 with City Navigator SD card for $206.00 which I think was a pretty good deal.

I don't think I've either under-bought or over-bought.

The idea that I can trade info with other Gamin units also appealed to me.

Thanks for all your help,

WoodGlue