Remove all email notifications

^up

I have looked in settings on the account, help files, and other threads on the forum. None seem to answer the basic.

I love reading the logs, but I do so from the cache page. The emails are just unneeded clutter.

Is this something I have to be a premium member to turn off? Where do I go to turn off emails.

Edited by ^up

you might also consider setting up an e-mail filter that treats "needs maintenance" logs differently from "Found" or "did not find" so that you're aware of when you need to maintain a cache.

This.

I wouldn't recommend turning off DNF and needs maintenance emails, even if you were able to, as these highlight issues with your caches you'd need to know about sooner.

Looks like you have a couple of mini power trails that were recently placed. As time goes on the activity on them should decrease but when someone does one you will get a log for every one. Setting up a special folder and have all logs go to that.
An approach used by some owners of other power trails and numbers run trails is to filter out messages from all but the first and last caches of the trail, and to tell people to post important information to those cache listings, not to any of the listings in between.

you might also consider setting up an e-mail filter that treats "needs maintenance" logs differently from "Found" or "did not find" so that you're aware of when you need to maintain a cache.

I will try this. I'm using gmail for my geocaching since I can't use my work email (only other email I have). If anyone has any tips on that, appreciate it. I know it isn't exactly geocaching, but only familiar with outlook somewhat.

Thanks for the help. I suspected it might not be optional, but I usually find I'm just blind, like I am at the super market.

I have looked in settings on the account, help files, and other threads on the forum. None seem to answer the basic.

I love reading the logs, but I do so from the cache page. The emails are just unneeded clutter.

Is this something I have to be a premium member to turn off? Where do I go to turn off emails.

You really shouldn't ignore any of the logs, after all how will you know when there's an issue? You said you like to read the logs from the cache page-nothing stopping you from looking at your email, then deleting it and viewing the log online. But without an email how will you know?

I want a puppy. But you have to feed it, walk it, and clean up after it. I just want to play with it....

In the menu at the top right of each of your cache pages, there is an option for "Archive Listing." This is the only way to stop email notifications from being sent for a listing that you own.

Won't you still get an email if someone logs it?

I have been using the filters/labels but it doesn't seem to want to put the emails into a different folder (at least not yet). I'll keep at it. So much clutter when searching Google. 1000 things I don't care about or doesn't answer my question.

The problem with separate email accounts is that they can (and often are) completely ignored, which again brings up the issue of responding to maintenance calls. I've seen too many good caches get archived because the owners didn't respond to maintenance requests, and I'm suspicious it's because the owners were ignoring emails from the website.

The problem with separate email accounts is that they can (and often are) completely ignored, which again brings up the issue of responding to maintenance calls. I've seen too many good caches get archived because the owners didn't respond to maintenance requests, and I'm suspicious it's because the owners were ignoring emails from the website.

Right. I bet very few COs who don't want log emails clogging up their inbox don't bother to filter so that NM and NA logs show up in the inbox. Everything goes to the PT trail folder and never or rarely gets looked at. Also the problem with filtering to a folder with the exception of NM/NA logs is that when there's an issue, most people don't use the NM/NA logs. They mention the problem in the log. It could go on for months before someone finally posts an NM. This is especially true for full logbooks or leaky container reports.

It's my feeling that if someone plants a power trail full of the same-old-same-old identical repetitive caches they should reap what they sow and endure the same-old-same-old repetitive cut-n-paste logs that result.

Right. I bet very few COs who don't want log emails clogging up their inbox don't bother to filter so that NM and NA logs show up in the inbox. Everything goes to the PT trail folder and never or rarely gets looked at. Also the problem with filtering to a folder with the exception of NM/NA logs is that when there's an issue, most people don't use the NM/NA logs. They mention the problem in the log. It could go on for months before someone finally posts an NM. This is especially true for full logbooks or leaky container reports.

It's my feeling that if someone plants a power trail full of the same-old-same-old identical repetitive caches they should reap what they sow and endure the same-old-same-old repetitive cut-n-paste logs that result.

This

Labels ARE your folders in gmail. So filter it to both apply a Geocaching label and to "Skip the Inbox (Archive it)". Then it'll show up in your Geocaching folder but not in the inbox.

(Be sure to read through them, or apply a filter to the Needs Maintenance, Needs Archived, Notes, and/or DNF's to highlight them somehow - Mark as Important, or Star them.)

Edited by TriciaG

OK, "Archive it" (gmail) is the same as putting it in a folder then. I was worried that was going to delete them. I'll try that.

I thought about another account, but I really don't like computers or spending much time on them and that seems like more complication. I've spent more time on the computer with geocaching already but it is fun. I just want simple, basic, things.

I understand the point about being ignored, but I'm more likely to ignore emails altogether. Using the app on my iPhone 99% of the time means I see the logs there much sooner. So far, in the months I've been doing this, the few maintenance items that have come up were dealt with quickly and I never even read the emails. Of course, I know that isn't a guarantee for the future. But I think I know myself pretty well.

So, just to confirm, there is no settings on this site to stop the notifications. I have to filter or control it externally.

BTW, mine are only a "Power Trail" because I put them under power lines. Most are separated by .3 or more miles. I'm almost done with those and the next few won't be a series at all. The fun part for me is the hiding. I'm not so interested in finding them.

Edited by ^up

To me this is a failure of the Geocaching software. As I have placed more and more caches, the email I receive from them is getting huge and tiring. Please change the software so that I can choose to receive emails when someone finds one of my caches but not others.

You only have 27 caches and except for a family that came through on the 19th and logged them three times (once for each person) I don't see a bunch of emails. Some of them only got 3-4 logs in all of December. Monitoring the logs is part of owning caches. The filter suggestion works best and can be setup with some very complex rules if you try a little.