Hundreds of caches in one day?

Shawnonabike

Hi,

Is there some kind of geocache that allows you to do 800+ in one day? This is not a case of saving up and logging them in one day because these people seem to have caches logged in previous days too.

-Shawnonabike

Thanks for the comments people. I understand better now. I live on an island so its hard for me to imagine a straight run of 850 caches 1/10 of a mile apart. It might be fun to do a run like that once or twice, but it can't match the challenging ones. I see people race to be FTF, but anyone can get an FTF. Just find one of those caches that are so difficult it takes months or years to find them. Finding the cache and being FTF when it was placed a year or two ago is very satifying and worth more than hundreds of easy ones.

Edited by Shawnonabike

There are plenty of geocaching power trails all over the world that have caches tossed every 0.10mi on the side of the road, so people just just drive/stop/sign over and over again. Many people have found 800 or more in a day this way, though it sounds pretty dull to me.

I'm assuming that's what you are seeing when you see all those logs in a day, and not people "saving up".

There are plenty of geocaching power trails all over the world that have caches tossed every 0.10mi on the side of the road, so people just just drive/stop/sign over and over again. Many people have found 800 or more in a day this way, though it sounds pretty dull to me.

I'm assuming that's what you are seeing when you see all those logs in a day, and not people "saving up".

Thanks for the reply. You're right it does seem boring. Personally, I get the greatest satisfaction out of the caches that require a day hiking up a mountain or camping out in the woods. But still, I see someone with 850 caches in one day? If you drive to the start find, sign log, log it on the computer and do one every 100 seconds. That would take all 24 hours. Caches are also logs for pretty well every day after and before this date as well.

Is there a super fast way to log your caches on geocaching.com?

Edited by Shawnonabike

Thanks for the reply. You're right it does seem boring. Personally, I get the greatest satisfaction out of the caches that require a day hiking up a mountain or camping out in the woods. But still, I see someone with 850 caches in one day? If you drive to the start find, sign log, log it on the computer and do one every 100 seconds. That would take all 24 hours. Caches are also logs for pretty well every day after and before this date as well.

Use GSAK and you can write one log and have all 1500 caches logged without doing anything else.

All depends on how you want to log. If you want "super fast" and just want to post a quick "Found it" and leave it at that, many smart phone apps will insert that text, or similar when you select the Found it log and send. Power trails, of course seem to be designed to not want anything more than TFTC, and there's usually not much thought put into hiding the containers, and "speed" is the name of the game for most of them. Quite often power trail hunters are in a team, and one will be logging while another is driving, while another has already keyed up the coords for the next cache probably even before they have found the previous one! It's a game unto itself with little resemblance to traditional geocaching.

To me, a TFTC, and send is short changing the hider that went to all the work and expense of hiding a cache for your enjoyment. I usually like to include even a little bit about the experience of finding the cache. My way of saying "I appreciate you hiding a cache for me to find". I know TFTC is an acronym for saying thanks, but I would never look someone in the face after they did something nice for me and just say "T", so why would I do that just because it's more or less anonymous. I use TFTC, but i usually include that after I've said something about the cache, or the experience.

It's up each of us what sort of cacher wwe want to be .... someone that feels entitled and only do the barest minimum to get the smiley, or one that returns a bit of appreciation to the cache owner.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I think that if someone logs 850 caches in a single 24 hour period, I'll have to call shenanigans.

1 day = 86400 seconds

86400 seconds/850 caches = (approximately) 101 seconds per cache.

That is a full 24 hours without so much as a toilet break, food break or even a break to add gas to your car and you'd have to do the finding, opening, logging and replacing all in those 100 seconds.

I've heard about multiple attacking such trails in small sections simultaneously, but I find that cheating. Everyone needs to be present at the find to claim it.

I think that if someone logs 850 caches in a single 24 hour period, I'll have to call shenanigans.

1 day = 86400 seconds

That is a full 24 hours without so much as a toilet break, food break or even a break to add gas to your car and you'd have to do the finding, opening, logging and replacing all in those 100 seconds.

100 seconds is more than enough time if you're on a numbers run trail designed to facilitate numbers runs, as this video demonstrates:

I've heard about multiple attacking such trails in small sections simultaneously, but I find that cheating. Everyone needs to be present at the find to claim it.
Yes, "shortcuts" like leapfrogging, sharding, or other divide-and-conquer techniques are basically a variation of armchair logging. And "shortcuts" like the three cache monte (aka cache shuffling, aka swap and drop) violate basic geocaching principles like "return the geocache to its original location". But they aren't needed for numbers runs like the one depicted in the video above.

I see someone with 850 caches in one day? If you drive to the start find, sign log, log it on the computer and do one every 100 seconds. That would take all 24 hours. Caches are also logs for pretty well every day after and before this date as well.

There is the fault in your logic. You don't take the time to log online right when you find the cache. You log them later when you have time.

1 day = 86400 seconds

I agree. I think everyone has to be present when the cache is found. One time I was kayak caching with a friend and we could only reach the cache (which was about 6 ft away) if one of us held both boats to help the other balance to reach to cache. I was only feet away but I felt guilty claiming the find when I didn't actually sign it myself.

I see someone with 850 caches in one day? If you drive to the start find, sign log, log it on the computer and do one every 100 seconds. That would take all 24 hours. Caches are also logs for pretty well every day after and before this date as well.

There is the fault in your logic. You don't take the time to log online right when you find the cache. You log them later when you have time.

True. but I think he must have an app that allows automatic logging. Logging manually would take too long.

If you're only doing a cache every 100 seconds, you're going slow.

I've been on runs where we could average more than 2 caches every 100 seconds.

Impossible to move 1/10 mile, open a cache, sign your handle in 100 seconds, let alone 50 seconds. Even in a team everyone in the team is not present when the cache is found.

You, as a new geocacher, asked a question in the "Getting Started" forum.

When veterans reply to explain how they find a cache every minute for 24 hours, and video proof is posted, you say it's "impossible." Are you saying that folks like me who have gone on 24 hour cache runs and who have found power trails are liars? That's not very "Getting Started"-like at all. It's rather insulting. So, please suspend your newbie ignorance and listen to the answers.

Yes, it's possible to find a cache every minute, with no leapfrogging, no three card monte or any other tricks.

True. but I think he must have an app that allows automatic logging. Logging manually would take too long.
My understanding is that today, a lot of people who do numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail do use automatic logging systems (e.g., GSAK). But I know people who did these numbers run trails when they first came out. They posted logs by hand, copy-pasting for each log. Yes, it took a long time. It took some of them months to catch up on their online logs.

Impossible to move 1/10 mile, open a cache, sign your handle in 100 seconds, let alone 50 seconds. Even in a team everyone in the team is not present when the cache is found.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." (George Bernard Shaw)

I haven't done it myself, and frankly, I have no desire to do it myself. But I know people who have done it, and I've seen videos of others. It's a matter of time management, optimization, planning, and endurance, not a matter of doing the impossible.

To me, a TFTC, and send is short changing the hider that went to all the work and expense of hiding a cache for your enjoyment. I usually like to include even a little bit about the experience of finding the cache.

In general, I absolutely agree with you. However, on a power trail where you have many hundreds of caches hidden identically along the road, I don't think the cache owner really is expecting anything more than a TFTC other than possibly the first or last cache in the series found, in which case they might summarize their day finding the trail. What else is there to say about each individual one?

And just remember. Those power trails are great for those of us keeping a one-a-day cache streak going. Why find them all in a day? Find one a day for 365 days is so much better....

Or, just find all the caches in one day, then log them once per day for 365 days to keep their streak going. Yeah, people do that.

I haven't done it myself, and frankly, I have no desire to do it myself. But I know people who have done it, and I've seen videos of others. It's a matter of time management, optimization, planning, and endurance, not a matter of doing the impossible.

I have friends that have done it, and I don't doubt that they have found each of the caches in the series. Not my cup of tea, but they seemed to have fun. If the caches are hidden all in the same way, the logs are easy to retrieve to sign or stamp, then the rate seems doable.

One of my friends said that for one trail, somewhere in the middle the cache was never placed by the CO. Lots of people had logged finds on it, and he logged a DNF. He got back a congratulations note from the CO saying he's the first one to log a DNF on the cache that was never placed, and there were dozens more that claimed finds on the non-existent cache.

One of my friends said that for one trail, somewhere in the middle the cache was never placed by the CO. Lots of people had logged finds on it, and he logged a DNF. He got back a congratulations note from the CO saying he's the first one to log a DNF on the cache that was never placed, and there were dozens more that claimed finds on the non-existent cache.

Hmmm.... I wonder which is worse... fake logs, or a fake cache? :blink:

Geocache must be in place before you enable the listing.

Your cache should be in place and ready to be found at the time your cache listing is enabled online.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#enabling

:lol:

You, as a new geocacher, asked a question in the "Getting Started" forum.

When veterans reply to explain how they find a cache every minute for 24 hours, and video proof is posted, you say it's "impossible." Are you saying that folks like me who have gone on 24 hour cache runs and who have found power trails are liars? That's not very "Getting Started"-like at all. It's rather insulting. So, please suspend your newbie ignorance and listen to the answers.

Yes, it's possible to find a cache every minute, with no leapfrogging, no three card monte or any other tricks.

I guess you're right, sorry for the insult.

Hi,

Is there some kind of geocache that allows you to do 800+ in one day? This is not a case of saving up and logging them in one day because these people seem to have caches logged in previous days too.

-Shawnonabike

Thanks for the comments people. I understand better now. I live on an island so its hard for me to imagine a straight run of 850 caches 1/10 of a mile apart. It might be fun to do a run like that once or twice, but it can't match the challenging ones. I see people race to be FTF, but anyone can get an FTF. Just find one of those caches that are so difficult it takes months or years to find them. Finding the cache and being FTF when it was placed a year or two ago is very satifying and worth more than hundreds of easy ones.

There is an Alien series in the Southwest states that has 2000+ caches with .10 miles of each other. Same goes for a Route 66 series in California I believe.