as green, as green can be

naughty90

hello,

as the title suggests i am both. i don't think i understand how to play the game. i did the login, searched for a cach near me, downloaded two gps apps (just incase)to my android and set off.

Good news - i found the cach! loged my name in the book and swaped an item (kids realy chuffed).

bad news - we only found it because we recognised the place on the map and had a real good look round. both gps apps (c:geo and geocash)both said no caches were near to where we were, tried to search for ones near by using app, no good, so hunting ended there.

are you suposed to download all the locations you wana visit to your phone first, then go hunting? because i'm only allowed 3searches in 24hours and theres loads by me and would keep the kids occupied for ages (that was my plan). But then if app says there aren't any when geocash site says there is and i'm out in country side how do i find the cach and then move to the next?

please help

You are using the INTRO app. It is designed solely as a "let somebody see geocaching" thing. It is not meant to be used for serious geocaching. You cannot download more than three caches at a time and therefore (and... it chooses what three), you are extremely limited in what you can/cannot do using the Intro-app.

It did for you what it was designed to do. Perk your interest in geocaching. Now, you need to move on with a full app if you wish to download for an extended outing or cache on-the-go without time hurdles to clear.

Again, it gives you three caches in a 24-hr period and it chooses which caches to give you access to. There may be a fourth cache less than a km away, but you won't know that 'cuz it doesn't (and probably won't) show you that one.

Contrary to what the directions may loosely indicate, purchasing a Premium Membership (unless they have changed that wording) DOES NOT improve your capabilities while using the Intro-app.

Part of phone use in geocaching revolves around the fact that the (full) app will refresh constantly, downloading is unnecessary unless you are going to be out of cell phone service range, and recognize that fact beforehand.

If you want more than 3/day, you need to move on with the full app.

Good luck.

P.S. Of the three ways you spelled it -- the word is "cache".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I don't know why c:geo didn't work but it could be because it is violation of the TOU and the froggie breaks its access with almost every update.

You also wrote Geocash and I can't find any app by that name. If you are talking about the app from the Geocaching website did you get the intro or full blown (you would have had to pay for the full blown). The intro app has some sort of algorithm that selects easier caches for beginners so maybe there were no easy ones close.

At the very least get the full blown app from the froggie even though that will still only allow you three caches a day it will not filter it but give you the closest. Keep in mind that GPS's are not dead on accurate. A 20' plus radius is considered good and depending on what phone you have some are better than others.

I've used a few geocaching apps (but not c:geo, since it violates the geocaching.com site terms of use by scraping the site to get its data). Generally, I've used a "search for caches near my current location" function to download cache data to the app. I also use pocket queries, but that is a premium member feature.

I don't know why c:geo didn't work but it could be because it is violation of the TOU and the froggie breaks its access with almost every update.

You also wrote Geocash and I can't find any app by that name. If you are talking about the app from the Geocaching website did you get the intro or full blown (you would have had to pay for the full blown). The intro app has some sort of algorithm that selects easier caches for beginners so maybe there were no easy ones close.

At the very least get the full blown app from the froggie even though that will still only allow you three caches a day it will not filter it but give you the closest. Keep in mind that GPS's are not dead on accurate. A 20' plus radius is considered good and depending on what phone you have some are better than others.

Nope-The full app from Groundspeak gives you full access, PM or not.

Nope-The full app from Groundspeak gives you full access, PM or not.

Thanks didn't know that. So people starting out should get the full app and save the premium membership fee if they decide to stay.