Ideas for a kit bag/other - and supplies

RTechS

Hi All!

I'm relatively new to geocaching and was wondering what you all prefer when it comes to a kit bag/other. I don't really want to carry a loaded-down backpack around, so I as thinking about hip sacks/fanny packs, shoulder-type bag, etc.

I would like something large enough to carry all the general caching essentials, such as pen/pencil, repair kit, first aid kit, magnifying glass, other misc. odds & ends, etc., etc.

Whatever you (seasoned cachers especially) would stock in your kit. This would be mostly for rural caching/hiking into the woods.

I don't know...maybe a backpack is the best option for this type of caching.

Also, what items make for a well rounded caching kit/ what do you like to take with you?

Throw some ideas out there - let me know what works best for you - I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Thanks in advance! :)

I carry this one....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007GUYKEY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1388151248&sr=8-4π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

....great bag for the price (wish they'd had the tan one when I ordered mine, though.....had to settle for the OD green).

In addition to the items you've mentioned, I would definitely include a good flashlight and a pair of work gloves, at a minimum. You're always having to poke around in dark holes, nooks and crannies where you might prefer not to blindly stick your bare hand.

I also include a small bottle of hand sanitizer, a roll of camouflage duct tape (for repairs), and a selection of spare log sheets and baggies. Other handy items are a folding knife or multi tool, insect repellant, some printed Geocaching handouts for curious muggles, a small hand towel, and a regular hand held compass. Not to mention spare batteries for the GPS (actually that should have been first on the list ☺️)

I did see another thread on this topics a few months ago. The key issue is what you really need for today's trip. I bagged a lamppost cache with no equipment at all, not even a gps (after seeing a sat photo).

You may need a UV light for one cache in 10,000 - but do you want to carry it every day??

Hi All!

I'm relatively new to geocaching and was wondering what you all prefer when it comes to a kit bag/other. I don't really want to carry a loaded-down backpack around, so I as thinking about hip sacks/fanny packs, shoulder-type bag, etc.

I would like something large enough to carry all the general caching essentials, such as pen/pencil, repair kit, first aid kit, magnifying glass, other misc. odds & ends, etc., etc.

Whatever you (seasoned cachers especially) would stock in your kit. This would be mostly for rural caching/hiking into the woods.

Also, what items make for a well rounded caching kit/ what do you like to take with you?

Throw some ideas out there - let me know what works best for you - I'm open to any/all suggestions.

My caching bag contains:

Replacement Caches/New Caches

Several pens and pencils

Mini torch

Wet Wipes

Can of pepsi max

Tweezers

Leatherman Wave multitool

Tissues

Emergency phone Charger and cables to charge my 2 phones on the move

Occasionally a TB/TC that I am moving

Finger Plasters

Geocaching in easy steps leaflet (to give to interested people)

Carrier bag for CITO

Swag

Adult rain poncho (2 in a pack for £0.99)

Pair of vinyl gloves for those mucky finds!

Headphones to listen to tunes on the go

Edited by catrim

Thanks to all for the suggestions - and thanks for the link to the existing thread! :)

I'm the kind of person who likes to be well prepared, but then again, I realize one should not weigh themselves down with a lot of items that might seem "cool" but never end up using.

Thanks to all for the suggestions - and thanks for the link to the existing thread! :)

I'm the kind of person who likes to be well prepared, but then again, I realize one should not weigh themselves down with a lot of items that might seem "cool" but never end up using.

Well, I talked about my bag and all the stuff I have in it, but truth be told, I bring it along on all my caching outings but it usually stays in the truck or jeep. I have it with me in case I need anything but I don't carry it every time I get out, unless it's going to be a bit of a hike to the cache. I usually carry everything I need in the pockets of my cargo pants....GPS, knife or multi tool, gloves, pen of course, small flashlight, and that's about it.

I really like bringing along a SpacePen -- it's small and more comfortable to stuff in my jeans pocket than a full sized pen, writes very well on wet logs and in wet weather, and does not freeze when it's been out in the cold. If I'm on a long hike (whether caching or just camping) something else I like to bring along is neon path marking tape (biodegradable of course) just in case -- most of the time caching it's not something I've needed but once or twice it's come in handy.

I've said it in other similar threads. Consider the bag of bags concept. A series of progressively larger packs suited to more complex hikes. Your minimal kit can be used for close in caches. That tossed into a slightly larger pack for trips slightly further from the car. That kit can be transfered totally or in part to a larger pack for significant day hikes, and so forth. I also use a small kit bag (duffel) to hold miscellaneous specialty items for use as needed when hinted at or discovered as needed in the field. No need to traipse home.

As for contents... experience is the best guide, but I always include items for fabrication of 'tool's in the field as part of that duffel bag, and to some degree in the smaller bags. Works for cache patching as well.

Doug 7rxc

+1 for the Sitka Gearslinger. I have the S-Type, which is for lefties. I've put together a pretty comprehensive kit that doesn't weigh too much, but has garnered me the nickname of "Walmart," because I have anything you'd need. My usual load-out is listed below; with a 32oz water bottle the whole kit weighs in at around 6lbs. I find it's tolerable for most days of caching, although on the longer days it can become a bit of a burden.

Hanging on the outside:

Paracord bracelet

Safety pins

Single-compartment MOLLE pouch for GPSr, with carabiners on cord for easy access and removal

Tick key

Folding knife

Headlamp

Pen

Pouch #1:

CITO bag

Extendable mirror with rare earth magnets glued to the back

Small flashlight

Lighter

Tweezers

Leatherman tool

Pouch #2:

Small notebook

Spare pens, one with camo tape wrapped around it for repairs

Pouch #3:

Disposable poncho

Small case for signature items and trackables

Cache repair kit: zip ties, baggies, spare logs, golf pencils, bison tube & o-rings, Sharpie wrapped in Gorilla Tape

Main Compartment:

Bug Spray

Tissues and wet-naps

Battery pack - spare cell batteries, AAAs, Eneloop AAs

Cheapie gloves

Basic first-aid kit - bandages, hand sanitizer, various OTC & prescription pills.

I also keep a mini kit in the car for those 'caches of opportunity.' It's a nice MOLLE pouch with pens, mini notebook, and pouch for trackables and sig items. Perfect for quickie grabs.

Well, I use a hard-shell gps container (ordered the wrong one, too big (for car)) that contains tweezers for micros and nanos, a crochet needle for log rolling, a multi-tool (swiss army knife), a pen and a pencil (spare ones from IKEA for caches that need pencils), disposable hand wipes, spare emergency logs from geocacher-u.com (a GREAT site), an extra cache container, and a flashlight. There's no need for room for a gps since I use a lanyard. I guess this could be a little more efficient though. If I did more caches in the countryside, I would probably need to bring more stuff (swag). Sometimes when caching with friends, I would bring a backpack for the essential snacks.

Edited by maxwell.conte

I just got a Maxpedition for christmas (http://shop.geocaching.com/default/gear/packs-slings/maxpedition-fatboy-versipack.html). Cant really comment on it at the moment, but I am working on getting a few things to keep in it for spring since I dont really cache in the winter here in NY. I am planning on getting some tweezers, a retractable magnet, small 1st aid kit, and a few other small things. I currently have a couple of pill bottles, 2 flashlights, my trackables, a few pens, and a few things I am sure I dont remember off the top of my head. I choose this on pack for the dedicated pouch for the GPS/Phone. I keep it in my vehicle at the moment.

Hi All!

My caching bag contains:

Replacement Caches/New Caches

Several pens and pencils

Mini torch

Wet Wipes

Can of pepsi max

Tweezers

Leatherman Wave multitool

Tissues

Emergency phone Charger and cables to charge my 2 phones on the move

Occasionally a TB/TC that I am moving

Finger Plasters

Geocaching in easy steps leaflet (to give to interested people)

Carrier bag for CITO

Swag

Adult rain poncho (2 in a pack for £0.99)

Pair of vinyl gloves for those mucky finds!

Headphones to listen to tunes on the go

With this well-stocked tool-kit, are you still able to convince the police you're hunting hidden treasure, or do they still suspect you're a burglar? !

;)