"Signature" Log sign?

hunter259

Hey. Me again.

I was just curious. What are ways you guys leave your special marks on log books?

I (somewhat recently) started adding a reticle where I sign. (Reticle = my profile pic)

I know a lot of people have stamps...

hunter259

I normally write "team tisri" or "tisri" depending on space in the log. Sorry it's nothing more inventive than that...

In the early days of geocaching, most caches were big enough to hold real log books - notebooks where you could write a sentence or a paragraph. As a newbie, I felt bad that I "wasn't writing enough." So, I came up with the opening phrase of "The Leprechauns found it!" and the closing phrase: "May the luck of the Irish be with you on all your cache hunts." And, for a couple years, I used a rubber stamp: an elf stamp for an average cache, and a shamrock stamp as a secret code that I really liked the cache.

Nowadays most logs are micro scrolls so it's hard to do much. I still write my signature phrase from time to time when I find a cache with a decent log book, especially if it's at the end of a good hike and I am sitting down to rest before hiking back. For a smaller log, I'll write "The Leprechauns found it!" or "Leprechauns." For a nano log in my home area, "Lep" is good enough to identify me.

I miss the good ol' days. Here is a sample picture of a log for a cache I found with mtn-man back in 2007:

0da8ec97-e96d-4290-8742-f549ead96d92.jpg

Edited by The Leprechauns

I will add a smiley face if there's room. I used to buy smiley stickers and add them to my own cache log books and some finds, but I haven't done that for a while.

Haha-me too! Used to buy small smiley stickers and now just toss a smiley at the end of my sig.

Must be something about Washington. ;)

Usually just Sharks-n-Beans. Micro logs get "S-N-B". Sometimes just trying to leave a mark like below:

Forgot to mention in our log that we left the pen in the car and managed to make some field ink from a local plant and signed "SNB" with a stick. If another finder could add some real ink to that before it fades it will be much appreciated. Thanks!

In the early days of geocaching, most caches were big enough to hold real log books - notebooks where you could write a sentence or a paragraph. As a newbie, I felt bad that I "wasn't writing enough." So, I came up with the opening phrase of "The Leprechauns found it!" and the closing phrase: "May the luck of the Irish be with you on all your cache hunts." And, for a couple years, I used a rubber stamp: an elf stamp for an average cache, and a shamrock stamp as a secret code that I really liked the cache.

Nowadays most logs are micro scrolls so it's hard to do much. I still write my signature phrase from time to time when I find a cache with a decent log book, especially if it's at the end of a good hike and I am sitting down to rest before hiking back. For a smaller log, I'll write "The Leprechauns found it!" or "Leprechauns." For a nano log in my home area, "Lep" is good enough to identify me.

I miss the good ol' days. Here is a sample picture of a log for a cache I found with mtn-man back in 2007:

0da8ec97-e96d-4290-8742-f549ead96d92.jpg

Some of us will make the online log entry detailed like that. You've got to remember that computerization wasn't as far along way back in 2007! ;)

Sometimes I draw a bus if it is a big log book. I cache by public transit since I don't own a car. People call me bus cacher sometimes because I have gotten 305 caches without using a car. Not too many people can do that haha. :anibad:

I've got several hundred without using a car, but then I live in an urban area where caching by bicycle is not only viable but probably easier than using a car in many ways.

well in the old days I wrote more in the paper log and less in the online log,

then I realized the paper log got a much shorter life, and much less people sit and read in it,

so today I write as little as possible in the paper log, and as much as I feel is needed in the online log,

this way I share more, with more people.

I also write funny faces and smily faces and such

if I feel the size and time call for it.

(if I power cache, I use my stamp)

Date and time is not required, but can be fun to add some times,

I find it funny to know another person found the same cache 14 mins ago :-)

if you do add date (or time) make sure it is correct..

Edited by OZ2CPU

cache%20signature%20med.jpg

If there's room I'll add this after "beauxeault."

Oops, sorry. It looks like my dropbox link is not working. The image is a simple line drawing of a circle (representing a clown's nose) wrapped on the bottom with a "hotdog" shape with a smile in it (representing a clown's painted smile).

Edited by beauxeault

I always sign with green ink (I'm a gardener). I've actually walked away from caches, leaving them unsigned and with smiley unclaimed because I didn't have a green pen. If there's room I'll also leave my snake-wearing-a-top-hat insignia. I draw a lowercase Y with a forked tail, and give it two eyes and a top hat. If there's more space I'll also leave a note about my adventure, and express appreciation for the cache.

I have a stamp that is based on my caching avatar. I use that for letterboxes (both hybrid caches and traditional letterboxes listed on separate sites). When there is room I will stamp a log book for other caches, but the old style log books are a rarity these days.

I sometimes sign with a couple of circles and something that might be a dart going through them, along with my initials (GD), given my sloppy writing in general, the symbol could be mistaken for an OK, but that probably works as well,

Other than that, my normal signature borders on being illegible so I tend to use my initials (or if I lost my pen, a scrawl using a leaf). I used to use my last name as my user name on this site and sign logs with my first name. One cacher that came after me felt compelled to state that he only saw a scrawl that looked like an A on the previous log. Today, I suppose someone like that would note that all they saw on the log was a squiggly drawing and writing of some sort.

Edited by geodarts

I used to carry address labels with a previous avatar (pig sitting on a throne) saying "Pork King was here!" and the # find it was.

Nowadays I go by the sig of "Pork King was here!", also known in these precincts as just "Pork King" or, to those who're pressed for time, "PK", tout court.