ETREX10 Compass

lamuncha

Yeah, the manual tells you:

Compass

The eTrex 30 has a 3-axis, electronic compass.

Notice, it does not say the -10 or -20 does.

It is a matter of not reading something into a statement. We all do it occasionally.

The good point to this is... that you'll never have to calibrate the compass.

You do however, need to be moving in order for it to function properly. It will not function (properly) while the unit is stationary.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

OK all that is informative.

And although the manual does refer to the 30 model as having a 3-axis compass - you could infer, which I did, the other models could have a typical 2-axis compass. Reinforced by the fact they tell you to calibrate it.

In any event thanks to everyone for the help.

The manual you have probably applies equally to the etrex20 and 30, which does have a true compass.

Fixed it for you and yes, the manual applies to all there models although Garmin didn't bother to point out which features are model specific.

I think you both need fixing, what is a "true compass"? :anibad:

It's an electronic compass on the more expensive models, while the cheapie 10 has a differential compass. There is nothing to calibrate on a differential compass.

Article on the difference.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

The manual you have probably applies equally to the etrex20 and 30, which does have a true compass.

Fixed it for you and yes, the manual applies to all there models although Garmin didn't bother to point out which features are model specific.

It's an electronic compass on the more expensive models, while the cheapie 10 has a differential compass. There is nothing to calibrate on a differential compass.

Simple, a [true] compass doesn't need an adjective. :rolleyes:

Very true! And similarly, the word plan does not need the adjective action. Really, there is no need to differentiate as nobody would ever claim to have created an inaction plan.

Well, I don't want to bog the thread down, but it's not really a true compass either in the more expensive GPS models. It's an "electronically assisted" compass. I think it's much more common to call it an electronic compass. But hey, I'm a thread bogger downer. :huh:

Garmin needs a manual edit, I'm sure we can all agree on that one.