"Send to GPS" not working with eXplorist GC

tgna

I got the Magellan eXplorist GC for Christmas with big plans to spend the day tomorrow out caching, and can't get caches sent to the GPS unit. After searching around online I updated to version 2.15. I found a place in my profile that appears to allow me to add the unit to my account but that doesn't work either. As for "send to GPS", it brings up a pop-up with several brands of GPS units but does not allow me to select Magellan. I've tried to install the Magellan plug-in (if that is what's now called the "Communicator", I couldn't find anything called a "plug-in") but can't tell whether or not that's working. I find several listings in my download file but I alternately install and remove the program each time I try. Somewhere I saw a comment to try a pocket query, but that appears beyond my scope at the moment. I'm pretty computer savvy but this has me stumped (and quite frustrated). Any help is appreciated! The kids are really looking forward to spending the day out treasure hunting tomorrow.

The "Send to GPS" button is in a box a few lines below the lat/long coordinates. I've found it in 2 other places and tried them also, but the directions say to open the cache and click on it in there.

This is all I see on the home page, which includes my lat/long. clicking on the "Navigate to the geocache" only gets me to iPhone apps etc.

How to Go Geocaching:

1 Search for Nearby Geocaches

Search

Find my location

2 Navigate to the geocache with the Geocaching app or a GPS.

See examples of what geocaches look like.

3 Sign the logbook and log your find online.

Reading down through the forum, We're not the only ones with this issue.

The "Send to GPS" button is in a box a few lines below the lat/long coordinates. I've found it in 2 other places and tried them also, but the directions say to open the cache and click on it in there.

This is all I see on the home page, which includes my lat/long. clicking on the "Navigate to the geocache" only gets me to iPhone apps etc.

How to Go Geocaching:

1 Search for Nearby Geocaches

Search

Find my location

2 Navigate to the geocache with the Geocaching app or a GPS.

See examples of what geocaches look like.

3 Sign the logbook and log your find online.

Reading down through the forum, We're not the only ones with this issue.

You first have to choose a geocache. I'll post pics in a second here...(No pics because apparently I can't post pics from my cache page to here...)

The post below mine is not quite correct. You can (not have to)put your location-or any location you wish. There are other ways as well. For learning we will use your current location. Select find my location. you may be asked is you want to allow that. Select yes.

You will be given a list of caches. Select one. You will be taken to the cache page. Lots of info here-perhaps you may want to read the description/attributes at this point to be sure of any requirements, such as flashlight required, or it requiring a long hike. When you decide to choose this cache select "download to GPS" Under the co-ords, and above the description.

You will have a window pop up. Make sure the GPS is plugged in-select your brand. If you haven't done so, download any required plug-ins/communicators. If you have done so, select "download."

Aside from various ways to search caches(home page, PQ's, GC numbers, driect links, bookmarks, and such) the process is the same.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I got it!! Well, with a little help from "my friends" :rolleyes: Apparently this does not play well with IE. I used Google Chrome and it worked just fine (although it took me a few before I realized the 'downloaded successfully' message is in regular type just above the download button). I was even able to send it from the listing, the map view, and from within the description. Yippee! Downloaded a lot so we should be able to spend several hours out on the hunt.

Um, this just randomly stopped working for me the last couple of days also, and I use mostly Firefox. I do also use Chrome and IE, but I was just downloading a cache or two, and didn't think to try another browser. Magellan, of course, is ultimately responsible for the Magellan Communicator, so we're going to have to pester them if this problem persists. :)

Well after spending all that time yesterday figuring out how to get this done, sadly, I'm not very thrilled with the performance of the GC. The concept is great, but very difficult to navigate (no pun intended) through the menus, and they map isn't very cooperative. Granted I only played with it for 2 days, but I was hoping my tech-savvy kids could work it pretty independently. We all liked using the phone much better. Guess I'll replace the $$$$ gps unit with the $ app. Who knew?? Thank you everyone!

Well after spending all that time yesterday figuring out how to get this done, sadly, I'm not very thrilled with the performance of the GC. The concept is great, but very difficult to navigate (no pun intended) through the menus, and they map isn't very cooperative. Granted I only played with it for 2 days, but I was hoping my tech-savvy kids could work it pretty independently. We all liked using the phone much better. Guess I'll replace the $$$$ gps unit with the $ app. Who knew?? Thank you everyone!

Eh, I can't argue with that. A lot of features, but it's difficult to navigate through all of them and find them. Takes some time, and some playing around. For example, I was once doing an EarthCache that required me to note an elevation gain difference a few months after I started using a GC. In the field without the manual, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to display elevation on the "dashboard", which is not a default setting. I was in sort of a hurry, and had blow off that EarthCache. I did, however, log it as a Waymark. :P

Somewhere I saw a comment to try a pocket query, but that appears beyond my scope at the moment. I'm pretty computer savvy but this has me stumped (and quite frustrated). Any help is appreciated!

I agree that the options presented when building a pocket query can be quite daunting to a newbee. In fact the term "building a pocket query" can sound very imposing but it really isn't.

Here are some simple steps to building a basic query. I really don't know why there isn't a "one click" download the nearest 500 caches option. This is how do it yourself and it's easy because you only have to change a few options from their default setting.

First you must be a premium member, which I see you are, then log in and click here http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx. This is the pocket query page.

• Next click on "Create a new Query"
  • In days to generate select all 7 days so that the boxes next to them all have check marks.
  • The select "Run this query once then delete it"
  • Now scroll down to "From Origin" and select "My Home Location" if you have told the Geocaching webpage your home coordinates or select Postal Code and enter your postal code if you are unsure if you set your home coordinates.
  • Scroll down to "Output To" and if you don't know what a .zip file is then unselect "Compress files into *.zip format (recommended)".
  • Now click on "submit information"

Congratulations you just generated a pocket query. Now lets get it on to your GPS!

GO back to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx and find the "Pocket Queries Ready For Download" tab and click on it.

Now find thew pocket query called "New Query" and click on the name. It should automatically start a download session. Save this file somewhere you know where it is and you can access it.

If you opted for the .zip file then unzip the files inside.

Now connect your GPS to a USB port. When prompted, on the GPS screen, select “Connect to PC”. Your computer will see your GPS as an external hard drive called Magellan.

Transfer the .GPX files from your computer to the Geocaches directory on the Magellan drive.

Now disconnect and reboot your GPS. The nearest 500 caches to your location or the center of your zipcode (depending on what you chose earlier) will now be on your GPS.

I know it seems quite involved but it really isn't. I wish there was a "Generate a pocket query of the nearest 500 caches" button. Something that that would make it easier to get started using pocket queries.

Hi, everyone. I have a Magellan eXplorist GC and have also experienced the very frustrating experience of inexplicably not being able to "send to gps" using Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, the Magellan help desk was absolutely no help. I have attempted different browsers (Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox), different USB cords and ports, uninstalling and reinstalling communicator, updating the eXplorist software, some of the more complicated processes suggested above, and might have accidentally discovered a much simpler (and equally inexplicable) solution.

1) Log into geocaching.com.

2) Go to the "File Manager" and double-click on "This PC" so you can see "Devices and Drives"

3) Connect (powered on) eXplorist to the PC using the USB cord; select "Connect to PC".

This is where things get odd: the first time I connect the device, the PC only says it's an nonspecific drive (could be E:/, will depend on your PC). If that shows up, your computer has no idea this is a Magellan eXplorist GC device and you will *not* be able to "send to GPS". If "Magellan" shows up, you should be good. For whatever reason, this never happens to me on the first attempt!

4) Pull out USB cord from computer port (*not* from the GPS unit!). Leave GPS unit on. Wait a few seconds and reinsert GPS cord into the laptop. Select "Connect to PC". If "Magellan" pops up under "Devices and Drives", your computer has now identified the device properly and you should be able to use the "send to GPS" feature at geocaching.com.

Again, I realize this is completely bizarre and illogical, but - once it worked - it seems to be consistently behaving the same way for whatever reason (I tried multiple times before posting this and also before deciding not to return the device). It just doesn't communicate with the PC the first time.

Hope this works and saves others the headaches that I experienced!