Garmin Nuvi Favorites Full

howarthe

I had something of an epiphany when I realized that the GPS in my car was the same brand as my hand held GPS, and they had the same shaped port. I hooked up my Garmin Nuvi to my computer and found a file name that I recognized, so I dragged and dropped a GPX file there. It was awesome, now I could drive to the cache coordinates quite easily. Previously, I had been entering each cache coordinates by hand or trying to use my hand held while I drove. Stupid. But now I have another problem. I tried to enter an address and save it to favorites, but my favorites file is full. That makes sense, since I loaded a hundred caches or more, so plugged my Nuvi back into my computer and I dragged the file with my caches in it to the trash just like I always do with my handheld GPS, but it made no difference. I still have dozens of caches in my favorites folder.

Does anyone here use the Garmin Nuvi? Have you had similar trouble? How did you fix it? I don't want to clear my favorites completely. I just want to clear out the caches. Is this possible?

I have a Nuvi 265 in hand, and a Nuvi 1490LTM at home. I just tried this with my 265 so it may be a bit different on your Nuvi. Connect to your PC and go into the Garmin/GPX folder to find the current.gpx. Remove (Cut)this .gpx file and save it locally to edit. With this file removed and saved disconnect and boot up your Nuvi. Go to Tools/My Data/Clear Data (or similar). This will delete All your favorites from the Nuvi.

Use your preferred waypoint editor to open the current.gpx file and edit out the unwanted cache points keeping the favorites you want. Save it to the same name and load in back into the Nuvi and boot up. Hope this works for you. Merry Christmas!

Edited by Timpat

I have a Nuvi 265 in hand, and a Nuvi 1490LTM at home. I just tried this with my 265 so it may be a bit different on your Nuvi. Connect to your PC and go into the Garmin/GPX folder to find the current.gpx. Remove (Cut)this .gpx file and save it locally to edit. With this file removed and saved disconnect and boot up your Nuvi. Go to Tools/My Data/Clear Data (or similar). This will delete All your favorites from the Nuvi.

Use your preferred waypoint editor to open the current.gpx file and edit out the unwanted cache points keeping the favorites you want. Save it to the same name and load in back into the Nuvi and boot up. Hope this works for you. Merry Christmas!

my 255w and 1490lmt are both the same for the gpx files and favorites.I USE gsak FOR LOADING GPX AND POIs

if they're loaded as favorites go to tools scroll down to favorites and you can delete all your favorites, I'll check all then scroll down and uncheck anything I want to keep like addresses

Using GSAK seems to be the way to put caches onto the Nuvi.. (as POI's or Favorites). There are multiple different ways of doing it and get multiple different results. After several different evolutions of doing it different ways... we've settled on using the GSAK Export Garmin POI function. It's been a while since I've done it, but I believe we save this file on the desktop and drag it onto the Nuvi. One of these days, when I have time (holidays) - I want to document the process we use.

We used to use GSAK, a macro, POI Loader...but that became inconsistent and problematic (for some unknown reason). My husband likes the export - as it's quick.

Edited by Lieblweb