Geocache Coordinates

Chazbo1948

If you downloaded a .gpx file for the cache(or you have a pocket query including the cache), there should have been waypoints with it if the CO was kind enough to enter them rather than just typing them in the listing. That means that if you go into Waypoints on your device, you'll find entries containing part of the GC number that go with the listing. For instance, a cache with the GC# "GCXXX" could have waypoints like "PKXXX" and "THXXX" which would be parking and trailheads for that cache. I find that's the easiest way to browse the waypoints to see which go with the cache you're interested in.

There is a way to "view child waypoints" from the Geocache view on your device(bringing up just the waypoints you want), but I can't find it since I upgraded to 2.15. Odd.

If you don't have these waypoints downloaded, the previous poster is right: go to Waypoints, click menu, then "create new waypoint" then "coordinates" and enter them. Save and go. I hope this helps!

I'm unsure whether the OP is dealing with a puzzle cache with multiple points where information is to gathered, or a multi where one has to visit each location to get the coordinates to the next location. If the former, then coordinates to those sites provided by the CO would be helpful (my most recent hide is like this, in fact, very similar to the example that Walts posted). However. If it's a multi, providing the intermediate waypoints would sort of defeat the purpose, no?

If the cache does have waypoints with coordinates displayed, the GC has a great little feature to go to them. If you open a cache page to view the description there is an option to view the waypoints associated with it and you can simply navigate to them. If you need to work out coordinates then enter them manually you just click the joystick to enter a waypoint and then edit the value. I wrote a detailed review of the GC which you may find helpful. It includes loads of screen shots explaining the various features and you'll find how the feature I mentioned above works as well as how to add waypoints manually if you need to. The Magellan GC user guide is also excellent.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

I'm unsure whether the OP is dealing with a puzzle cache with multiple points where information is to gathered, or a multi where one has to visit each location to get the coordinates to the next location. If the former, then coordinates to those sites provided by the CO would be helpful (my most recent hide is like this, in fact, very similar to the example that Walts posted). However. If it's a multi, providing the intermediate waypoints would sort of defeat the purpose, no?

The OP says that the cache has "multiple coordinates listed". I thought it might be one of those where you have to visit more than one location to get started(we have some multis like that here: find 1 waypoint for N coordinates, and another waypoint for W coordinates). Or, maybe there are "questions to answer" that require more than one stop.

If it's a "standard" multi(you begin with only 1 set of coordinates to go to for the cache and the rest are hidden), yes, you'll need to go to the listed starting coordinates and then enter the coordinates you find there as a new waypoint. I hope we didn't confuse you!

If the cache does have waypoints with coordinates displayed, the GC has a great little feature to go to them. If you open a cache page to view the description there is an option to view the waypoints associated with it and you can simply navigate to them. If you need to work out coordinates then enter them manually you just click the joystick to enter a waypoint and then edit the value. I wrote a detailed review of the GC which you may find helpful. It includes loads of screen shots explaining the various features and you'll find how the feature I mentioned above works as well as how to add waypoints manually if you need to. The Magellan GC user guide is also excellent.

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki

Off the top of your head, can you tell me where that option to "view child waypoints" of a particular cache is now? I thought it was hitting "menu" when viewing the cache detail page, but everything I tried yielded no option. I am positive that the cache I was looking at had multiple child waypoints loaded in my unit at the time(I found them by looking in my waypoints). I can't find the answer in a search. I successfully did this before upgrading, but not since, and I am not sure how I accessed it before.

Thanks for all the info. I figured out how to load manually and was able to get to the first clues. There are others to find but was unable to find them. Using some of this new info y'all have provided I'm going to check the GC to see if additional coordinates are listed. Thanks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all geocache freaks out there!!!

My review of the GC was about 12 months ago. I no longer have the GC so it may be a software update has removed the feature to view child waypoints. I hope not. From the screen shots I did at the time of writing it the child waypoints appear in the Options menu when viewing a cache. You can also use the Waypoint menu - this shows not only the waypoints but which cache they belong to.

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki