Collectable or not?

CEO44

I have been given travel bug for my birthday. When i activated it there was a question about making it collectible. What does this mean and what are the advantages, or not, of making a TB collectible?

"Collectible" is a way for people to organize large coin collections (among other things), and best used only while needed. In the case where you would use it, it would be part of a plan to get a coin moved to someone's Collection for a specific purpose (such as loaning your coin to complete a set), and you'd mark it Collectible only while the coin is being moved out of your Inventory. It's really not a TB thing :anicute:. But if you own a lot of activated Trackables for some reason and don't like them showing up in Inventory, marking them Collectible is part of the process of getting electronically listed in your Collection rather than Inventory. You'd still mark them "Not Collectible" after the move.

If you activate a TB and intend to place it in caches to travel, don't touch the "Collectible" setting. Leave it "not selected", because you don't need it and you won't use it. If you can't resist clicking it :anibad:, select "Not Collectible".

Edited by kunarion

I have been given travel bug for my birthday. When i activated it there was a question about making it collectible. What does this mean and what are the advantages, or not, of making a TB collectible?

"Collectible" is a way for people to organize large coin collections (among other things), and best used only while needed. In the case where you would use it, it would be part of a plan to get a coin moved to someone's Collection for a specific purpose (such as loaning your coin to complete a set), and you'd mark it Collectible only while the coin is being moved out of your Inventory. It's really not a TB thing :anicute:. But if you own a lot of activated Trackables for some reason and don't like them showing up in Inventory, marking them Collectible is part of the process of getting electronically listed in your Collection rather than Inventory. You'd still mark them "Not Collectible" after the move.

If you activate a TB and intend to place it in caches to travel, don't touch the "Collectible" setting. Leave it "not selected", because you don't need it and you won't use it. If you can't resist clicking it :anibad:, select "Not Collectible".

Just to paraphrase what kunarion said, just don't mess with it unless needed. For now, you don't need to mark it as a collectible... Have fun!!

Just to paraphrase what kunarion said, just don't mess with it unless needed.

Yes! That part's easy: "Don't". Just don't bother with "Collectible" at all, if you don't know what it's for.

But then people also ask the impossible... to explain what it means... :laughing:

Sorry that it's like the very first selection for a TB. I'd never have set up the form that way. And certainly would never have left it open for new TB owners to guess what it's for. It tends to create some headaches for Trackable owners if they guess wrong.

Edited by kunarion

I once received an e-mail from a cacher regarding a geocoin released prior to the collectible/not-collectible being added to the TB page. It was her thought that collectible meant she (or actually her daughter) could keep it rather than moving it. I let her know that it was meant to be moved, but have clicked not-collectable on each geocoin/TB I have activated since. I suspect that most geocachers do not know what collectible/non-collectible means and suggest that selecting not-collectible on TBs/Geocoins released to caches might be a good idea to prevent any question as to whether the coin is swag or a traveler--other than the case of a collection mentioned above.

Edited by tokencollector

I once received an e-mail from a cacher regarding a geocoin released prior to the collectible/not-collectible being added to the TB page. It was her thought that collectible meant she (or actually her daughter) could keep it rather than moving it. I let her know that it was meant to be moved, but have clicked not-collectable on each geocoin/TB I have activated since. I suspect that most geocachers do not know what collectible/non-collectible means and suggest that selecting not-collectible on TBs/Geocoins released to caches might be a good idea to prevent any question as to whether the coin is swag or a traveler--other than the case of a collection mentioned above.

Some keep a TB while waiting for an unselected TB to be designated, just in case it's marked "Collectible", due to them interpreting the term to mean "Steal-able". People with sticky fingers, inventing excuses from whole cloth, to justify theft.

Some Owners think it means "Check this box if you think your TB is pretty cool". I'm trying to encourage people to think of "Collectible" as part of an inventory management plan, neither a toy "checkbox" to click for fun, nor a checkbox to be used at a point other that actively working on one's Trackable Inventory.

But, sure, if you have no reason to mess with that feature, yet cannot resist clicking a box, click "Not Collectible".

Edited by kunarion

Here is the response from the company

Collectible

"Collectible" is a status assigned to any trackable item

Setting a trackable's status to "collectible" means people can keep it and do not have to physically move it to another geocache

Collectible trackables usually reside in a geocacher's personal collection

Collectible trackables tend to stay with one person, but can occasionally transfer to a new owner

Trackables that reside in a geocacher's collection are available to be "Discovered" by other geocachers

Non-collectible

"Non-collectible" is a status assigned to a trackable item

Setting a trackable's status to "non-collectible" means that it can be easily grabbed, dropped, etc...

Non-collectible trackables reside in a geocacher's public-facing inventory

Don't keep a trackable that's not marked as collectible, non-collectible trackables are meant to travel from geocache to geocache