Garmin GPSMAP 62s and Geocaches

JimJoolz

I recently attended an event, and bumped into a new cacher who had been bought a GPSMAP 62s. Now not being a GPSr user myself I couldn't help him. But what he was finding frustrating was when he walked to a Geocache, following the direction given by the GPS, when he arrived at the GZ, the unit would then advance on to the next nearest Geocache location leaving him without being able to search accurately at the GZ he had just arrived at.

So my question is, on arriving at a GZ, how do you stop the GPS from changing to the next Geocache until you are ready, having found (hopefully) the Geocache you arrived for in the first place.

I did say to him there is probably instruction in the manual, but lets just say he was an elderly gent and was finding things complicated enough already :)

Thanks in advance.

Most likely a setting that he has (or hasn't) set.

We have never had that problem.

Generally, it doesn't jump to another unless "Found It" or some other log type has been entered. Is it possible he is doing that, upon simply arriving at GZ?

... of course, you wouldn't know the answer to that off-hand, unless you have been with him during/at a "Find".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

As far as I know he isn't logging of any type, he doesn't get chance. From what I understand it's almost like that he has set up a route of waypoints and it's advancing upon reaching a waypoint. Only he hasn't. It's just geocaches. Like you say I probably need to see it 'in action'.

Big Question... Has the person actually selected a cache to find? Or are they simply following the current position indicator along the map till they are near a cache position?

That is one common error. They should be able to select the cache for searching by moving the device cursor over to the map icon and when it responds with the name or GC# click to enter that and select GOTO.

Most of the time one would use the FIND page and select either the nearest or by name and then enter, then select GOTO for navigation purposes.

I assume device users do the same thing don't they? See sections of manual on selecting waypoints and navigation to waypoints etc.

If not get more details and come back.

Doug 7rxc

I had that exact same problem last year while using the 'Geocaching Dashboard' on my eTrex30. It would automatically stop navigating when I got close to a cache. There was no setting I could find for this, it just started doing that after a firmware update. A subsequent firmware update turned that back off.

Several firmware updates later, the Geocaching Dashboard still automatically displays and points to the nearest cache, even if you are actually navigating to a waypoint that's in a different direction.

I suspect that's what your friend is seeing. Tell him to select a different dashboard and see if the problem goes away.

Hello.

I had the same with my GPSMap 60CSx.

The problem was i did something wrong on put the GC to the device.

He just had like a route. So if you select a lot of GC's to the device he just saved them as a route and the GC are turned to Waypoints.

Since i got a new SW on my computer its ok.

I had that exact same problem last year while using the 'Geocaching Dashboard' on my eTrex30. It would automatically stop navigating when I got close to a cache. There was no setting I could find for this, it just started doing that after a firmware update. A subsequent firmware update turned that back off.

Several firmware updates later, the Geocaching Dashboard still automatically displays and points to the nearest cache, even if you are actually navigating to a waypoint that's in a different direction.

I suspect that's what your friend is seeing. Tell him to select a different dashboard and see if the problem goes away.

Hello.

I had the same with my GPSMap 60CSx.

The problem was i did something wrong on put the GC to the device.

He just had like a route. So if you select a lot of GC's to the device he just saved them as a route and the GC are turned to Waypoints.

Since i got a new SW on my computer its ok.

Thanks for the replies. unfortunately I haven't seen him since I posted these, he hasn't turned up at a meeting so I haven't been able to speak with him. I'll let him know though if I see him. Thanks again.