Track settings on Garmin 60 CSx

Yaktp

Hi All:

I am trying to get the most accurate milage on my Garmin 60 CSX. I had the track settings on AUTO intervals and now I changed it to 0.01.

I want to try and get the Odometer and Track milage close and as accurate as possible.

Can anyone give me a lift.

Best wishes,

Patrick

I found for my uses in recording good tracklogs of hikes I set it to Auto and More Often. I also found you will always see discrepancies between the odometer and recorded tracklog, with the odometer usually showing greater distance. Others can chime in with more detail of the "why" behind it.

I found for my uses in recording good tracklogs of hikes I set it to Auto and More Often. I also found you will always see discrepancies between the odometer and recorded tracklog, with the odometer usually showing greater distance. Others can chime in with more detail of the "why" behind it.

@Yaktp,

In your original post , you asked about getting the most accurate "Mileage". In one of your "reply" posts you asked "which is most accurate, odometer or track?"

Those are two different questions which require different answers, which, surprisingly, both have already been posted!

Timpat likes "Auto and more often" and RMB likes" Time and 1/sec". Both are "correct" but under different circumstances.

"Auto and more(or most)often" method will almost always record the "closest to actual" DISTANCE.

"Time and 1/sec" will almost always record the "closest to actual" SHAPE.

Odometer uses the 1/sec logging interval.

The logging 1/sec logs so many points that any and all GPS error caused by carrying method, canopy, terrain,etc gets added in and ends up as "extra length". More points = more opportunity for error.

On the other hand, if there are too few points logged, corners and curves are "cut" resulting in less accurate "shapes" and shorter distances (than actual).

"Auto and more(or most)often" automatically logs fewer points when you are moving in a straight line and more points when you are changing direction (corners and curves). Generally speaking, this is almost always the "best compromise" or "closest to actual".

Timpat is absolutely correct in suggesting to "clean up errant trackpoints" if you want accurate data.

You want both distance and shape correct?, ....or want to find out which is best for your purposes?.....easy fix....carry multiple units simultaneously, set differently and see for yourself!

tracking by time still factors in all of the error points, especially when standing still, and these add up quickly. For that reason, I've been setting mine to distance, and .01 mile, which is about 52 feet. For very short and tight trail segments (such as small switchbacks), this affects the shape of the track. Otherwise, the deviation in shape isn't so great that I worry about it much. I get fewer wandering error points when I stop to take a break, and that makes cleaning up the track easier.

Since I'm not actually making trail maps, I've learned to not be so picky about my track data. Though, I do wish Garmin would implement a motion detection system that automatically stops track logging when the GPS is stopped and resumes when moving again. After all, it can calculate moving and stopped time, so why not extend that to the track log as well?

@ Mineral2,

For exactly the same reasons you mentioned, I would not assume that the moving /stopped time calculations are correct. The unit is picking up reception errors and interpreting those as position change ie movement.

I agree with you ......there ought to be a way.........

I just "save" a waypoint when I stop so that I know exactly where to "select" and delete the "bird nest" of random trackpoints (and the waypoint) when I get back home and edit/clean-up the track.

@ Mineral2,

For exactly the same reasons you mentioned, I would not assume that the moving /stopped time calculations are correct. The unit is picking up reception errors and interpreting those as position change ie movement.

I agree with you ......there ought to be a way.........

I just "save" a waypoint when I stop so that I know exactly where to "select" and delete the "bird nest" of random trackpoints (and the waypoint) when I get back home and edit/clean-up the track.

Yeah, at least Garmin has split the difference with the new Oregon 600 line by giving you a quick and easy way to manually pause and re-start track logging. Hopefully that feature sticks in all subsequent models.