What does MIA Mean?

floridabiker1

Go check to see if your geocache is still in place, or wait for a few more MIA logs.

Better yet floridabiker, go back and check on ALL of your caches. Based on the logs, they all seem to be in need of a little TLC.

The mystery cache also? And "Habemus Papam!" seems to be fine according to the logs. I wish you'll all just get of my back about it.

Missing In Action

And what does that specifically mean?

You're kidding, right? :blink:

DNF = did not find, plus a "needs maintenance" log posted asking you to check on it.

Looks like the cache has been needing some maintenance for a while now. Sounds like the container is not a good choice to keep water out.

B.

No, I'm not kidding. I want to know what the words mean. "In action". What does that mean. Who or what is in action? A muggle? The cache that's sitting there?

And did you go and look up the cache page or something?

Yes, I did look up the cache page. Obviously.

The cacher couldn't find it, so he thinks it may be ... missing. That's what he posted in both his logs...requesting you to check to make sure the cache is still there.

It would be far easier to go out and check on the cache, do any required maintenance, or change to a better container, or whatever is needed to make the cache findable and have a dry log book for folks to sign.

B.

Go check to see if your geocache is still in place, or wait for a few more MIA logs. It may be AWOL and need NM posted on the cache page. What makes you think the cache is not MIA without checking? Please report cache status back ASAP. I will add it to my watch list. :blink::D

Better yet floridabiker, go back and check on ALL of your caches. Based on the logs, they all seem to be in need of a little TLC.

Well, first, it's amazing how many posts I've gotten on this thread without really participating in it.

On to the point, you've no right to be commanding me to immediately check on the status of my caches and then go reporting to you ASAP. I am not like most geocachers who are obsessed with the game. I cache in my free time, when I feel like it. I will get to the cache when I decide to.

Also, do not accuse me of going to accuse of stalking.

Bike shorts riding a little high are they? :laughing: If you refuse to maintain a geocache, don't hide one. Many of us here because of you thread took a peek at your listings, and they have logged issues. Maybe a local will post a NA on them for you. :ph34r: Merry Christmas. :D

I would tell you to lighten up that many of us enjoy communicating in a civil manner in the forums here, but you may confuse it as a demand. :P

Well, first, it's amazing how many posts I've gotten on this thread without really participating in it.

On to the point, you've no right to be commanding me to immediately check on the status of my caches and then go reporting to you ASAP. I am not like most geocachers who are obsessed with the game. I cache in my free time, when I feel like it. I will get to the cache when I decide to.

You are a perfect example of why a causal geocacher with so few finds should NOT be hiding geocaches.

I cache in my free time, when I feel like it. I will get to the cache when I decide to.

Not sure why you bother hiding caches then, if you're not interested in taking care of them.

It won't take any more time than posting in the forums to add a "Temporary disable" log to the cache page telling people exactly what you posted here. It would be of a lot of help in these situations, and would show common courtesy.

Easy, no? You wouldn't even have to get out of your chair.

B.

Perhaps we might want to dial down the rhetoric and joshing here -- from what I've seen, OP does not appear to be of voting age yet and might be taking some of this personally, even if not intended as such.

Very good of you to point this out.

I think simply sticking to the guidelines will do:

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

The region in which a cacher is considered able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from person to person. A cacher who has previously logged caches within a wide range of their home may be considered able to maintain a geocache 200 miles (322 km) away. However, someone whose geocaching activities have primarily been within 25 miles (40 km) of home may not be able to maintain a geocache this far from home. This factor is determined at the discretion of the cache reviewer or Groundspeak.

Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, please place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while traveling. Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer. The note will auto-delete on publication.

Perhaps we might want to dial down the rhetoric and joshing here -- from what I've seen, OP does not appear to be of voting age yet and might be taking some of this personally, even if not intended as such.

Terms of Use

Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

Hopefully Floridabiker1's parent/guardian is aware of his/her geocaching activities and can guide and explain the responsibilities of cache ownership.

It is nice to see that FB1 has disabled the cache. Saves future geocachers from wasting time and gas money.

Edited by L0ne R

Terms of Use

Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

Hopefully Floridabiker1's parent/guardian is aware of his/her geocaching activities and can guide and explain the responsibilities of cache ownership.

It is nice to see that FB1 has disabled the cache. Saves future geocachers from wasting time and gas money.

I viewed the users profile and thought it was a supervised account, guess I was wrong. :(

I only have two listings on this account and was questioned both times I submitted a cache for review if I could maintain it by the local reviewers. I had to explain to the reviewer that I am not new to geocaching but this is my new account that I use. We also have a family account that agreed to supervise this account. As another member stated in this thread, I may not be old enough to vote yet but I am old enough to drive a car. :P

They were not being serious. It looks like you've had a bit of bad luck with your hide. It went missing after only 2 months of being hidden, and the replacement immediately leaked. Just get to it at your leisure. Everyone can see that there is an issue with it, and if it becomes archived, you can always reverse that with a note to your reviewer.

^^^ Yes, people were mostly joking about the whole acronym thing. And it is amusing because these useful shortcuts can baffle those who haven't come across them. It's not a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of life experience. I don't know at what age I learned what MIA meant, but it's possible that in my early teens I didn't know. And no one knows what all acronyms mean.

Very good of you to point this out.

I think simply sticking to the guidelines will do:

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

The region in which a cacher is considered able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from person to person. A cacher who has previously logged caches within a wide range of their home may be considered able to maintain a geocache 200 miles (322 km) away. However, someone whose geocaching activities have primarily been within 25 miles (40 km) of home may not be able to maintain a geocache this far from home. This factor is determined at the discretion of the cache reviewer or Groundspeak.

Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, please place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while traveling. Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer. The note will auto-delete on publication.

I think some people continue to read more into the the guidelines than is there. While cache ownership entails the responsibility of maintenance, I believe that Groundspeak and the Reviewers understand this is just a game. There are a variety of reasons for a cache owner to postpone maintenance and the cache owner may have reasons to believe a cache is still there despite a couple of DNFs, even when some claim the cache is MIA.

Certainly one can help out the OP by letting him know that he can temporarily disable a cache if he can't get to it right away, so long at that period does not extend too long without an explanation. The guidelines say four weeks, but I've found the time varies depending on the reviewer and often on how remote a cache is. In addition you can provide a explanation to the reviewer if you need more time.

Frankly, I've made long trips far more often than I would like to check on caches reported missing only to find them just as they were hidden. I tend to leave my caches enabled until there is a 2nd DNF. (Though I will check on my caches if I am in the area).

These days, more and more cachers seem to feel that they are entitled to a find and want to blame lax maintenance just because they got the second DNF in a row on a cache. DNF is part of caching and the sooner people learn this and stop whining about lazy cache owners the better. If you don't want a DNF don't look for cache that you think might be missing - except of course if a hypothetical bogus log makes you waste your time (i.e. look for a cache and get a DNF).

^^^ Yes, people were mostly joking about the whole acronym thing. And it is amusing because these useful shortcuts can baffle those who haven't come across them. It's not a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of life experience. I don't know at what age I learned what MIA meant, but it's possible that in my early teens I didn't know. And no one knows what all acronyms mean.

It took me quite a while before I knew what FAQ meant (blush).

This whole thread reminds me of RTFM.

Edited by Don_J

This whole thread reminds me of RTFM.

Well, so much for the DDTR suggestion. :huh:

Oh, that's "dial down the rhetoric." You never heard that one?? :o

Acronym Finder only lists these two, so it's incomplete:

Division of Developmental Translational Research

Direction du Développement Territorial et du Réseau

:grin:

Edited by wmpastor

Missing In Action

And what does that specifically mean?

You're kidding, right? :blink:

DNF = did not find, plus a "needs maintenance" log posted asking you to check on it.

Looks like the cache has been needing some maintenance for a while now. Sounds like the container is not a good choice to keep water out.

B.

No, I'm not kidding. I want to know what the words mean. "In action". What does that mean. Who or what is in action? A muggle? The cache that's sitting there?

And did you go and look up the cache page or something?

Yes, I did look up the cache page. Obviously.

The cacher couldn't find it, so he thinks it may be ... missing. That's what he posted in both his logs...requesting you to check to make sure the cache is still there.

It would be far easier to go out and check on the cache, do any required maintenance, or change to a better container, or whatever is needed to make the cache findable and have a dry log book for folks to sign.

B.

Go check to see if your geocache is still in place, or wait for a few more MIA logs. It may be AWOL and need NM posted on the cache page. What makes you think the cache is not MIA without checking? Please report cache status back ASAP. I will add it to my watch list. :blink::D

Bike shorts riding a little high are they? :laughing: If you refuse to maintain a geocache, don't hide one. Many of us here because of you thread took a peek at your listings, and they have logged issues. Maybe a local will post a NA on them for you. :ph34r: Merry Christmas. :D

I would tell you to lighten up that many of us enjoy communicating in a civil manner in the forums here, but you may confuse it as a demand. :P

I'm not refusing to maintain geocaches, I just get to them in my time.

You are a perfect example of why a causal geocacher with so few finds should NOT be hiding geocaches.

I like to hide geocaches and have just as much right to do so as anyone else provided the reviewer approves the listing.

I like to hide geocaches and have just as much right to do so as anyone else provided the reviewer approves the listing.

Yes you do have a "right" but when you choose to invoke that right you agree to do certain things like being responsible for the up keep of your caches. Sure you like to hide them but you hide them so fellow geocachers can find log and maybe trade items. It is your job as the CO to make sure its in working order for that to happen. And even if everyone logs your caches as fine and in order you should still do routine maintenance because you choose to hide you also choose to be responsible for said hide.

It's all about respect for others. I'm sure the OP is a unsupervised minor. I have respect for my fellow geocachers and my local volunteer reviewer not to have to pick up after me or archive my unmaintained left behind property. If the OP came here for advice, it was given. So now they know what MIA posted on a geocache means, anything else is just an attempt to flame other members here. :anibad:

Of course you can hide & post acceptable caches. The only point others were making is that there's a continuing duty to maintain them in good condition.

Maybe Googling "jester " will help.

Superb idea - here it is:

A jester was a historical entertainer either employed to entertain a ruler or other nobility in medieval or Tudor times or was an itinerant performer who entertained common folk at fairs and markets. With the resurgent interest in historical re-enactment and living history jesters have now become a common sight at modern medieval themed events. Jesters in medieval times are often thought to have worn brightly coloured clothes and eccentric hats in a motley pattern and their modern counterparts usually mimic this costume. In medieval times jesters entertained with a wide variety of skills which could include songs, music, storytelling, acrobatics, juggling andmagic. Much of the entertainment was performed in a comic style and many jesters made contemporary jokes in word or song about people or events well known to their audiences.