What does MIA Mean?

floridabiker1

Missing In Action

And what does that specifically mean?

You're kidding, right? :blink:

DNF = did not find, plus a "needs maintenance" log posted asking you to check on it.

Looks like the cache has been needing some maintenance for a while now. Sounds like the container is not a good choice to keep water out.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Missing In Action

DNF = did not find, plus a "needs maintenance" log posted asking you to check on it.

Looks like the cache has been needing some maintenance for a while now. Sounds like the container is not a good choice to keep water out.

B.

No, I'm not kidding. I want to know what the words mean. "In action". What does that mean. Who or what is in action? A muggle? The cache that's sitting there?

And did you go and look up the cache page or something?

Missing In Action

B.

No, I'm not kidding. I want to know what the words mean. "In action". What does that mean. Who or what is in action? A muggle? The cache that's sitting there?

Yes, I did look up the cache page. Obviously.

The cacher couldn't find it, so he thinks it may be ... missing. That's what he posted in both his logs...requesting you to check to make sure the cache is still there.

It would be far easier to go out and check on the cache, do any required maintenance, or change to a better container, or whatever is needed to make the cache findable and have a dry log book for folks to sign.

B.

MIA as an acronym came from the military. When a soldier was missing after a battle or other action, he was deemed "Missing in Action." With the military's penchant for acronyms, it became "MIA."

It has since been adopted by common English usage to mean anything or anyone that is missing during the course of its operation. In this case, the cacher is suggesting the cache has disappeared somehow - an animal, a muggle, an unscrupulous cache thief, a flood, a tornado, aliens - something seems to have caused the cache to go missing.

Missing In Action

B.

The cacher couldn't find it, so he thinks it may be ... missing. That's what he posted in both his logs...requesting you to check to make sure the cache is still there.

It would be far easier to go out and check on the cache, do any required maintenance, or change to a better container, or whatever is needed to make the cache findable and have a dry log book for folks to sign.

B.

Go check to see if your geocache is still in place, or wait for a few more MIA logs. It may be AWOL and need NM posted on the cache page. What makes you think the cache is not MIA without checking? Please report cache status back ASAP. I will add it to my watch list. :blink::D

Missing In Action

B.

B.

Go check to see if your geocache is still in place, or wait for a few more MIA logs. It may be AWOL and need NM posted on the cache page. What makes you think the cache is not MIA without checking? Please report cache status back ASAP. I will add it to my watch list. :blink::D

From reading the logs, it sounds like you expect every finder to bring a new log and replace the wet one. It's best that it's missing. Now you can replace it with a proper water resistant container.

Missing In Action

B.

B.

From reading the logs, it sounds like you expect every finder to bring a new log and replace the wet one. It's best that it's missing. Now you can replace it with a proper water resistant container.

You mean once you hide a geocache you are expected to maintain it yourself? What good is the geocaching community? I never log a DNF anymore with all of the extra test strip containers that I have camo taped with a sheet of write in the rain paper in a little baggie. :blink: Yeah, I cyber-stalked the OP's listings too. :laughing:

Missing In Action

B.

B.

You mean once you hide a geocache you are expected to maintain it yourself? What good is the geocaching community? I never log a DNF anymore with all of the extra test strip containers that I have camo taped with a sheet of write in the rain paper in a little baggie. :blink: Yeah, I cyber-stalked the OP's listings too. :laughing:

One mo' MIA, this one from Florida:

Miami International Airport (MIA) is operated by the Miami-Dade Aviation Department and is the property of Miami-Dade County government. Founded in 1928, MIA is the largest U.S. gateway for Latin America and the Caribbean and is one of the busiest international passenger and freight airports in the world. Located on 3,230 acres of land near downtown Miami, MIA's terminal is being expanded to more than seven million square feet through a capital improvement program scheduled for final completion in early 2014.

Today, a user logged a DNF on of my caches. Here is the text of their log:

No luck here today. This is most likely MIA. Please check on this one.

Does anybody know what MIA means?

Why I hate acronyms.

Interesting website. I bookmarked it for future use.

And to the OP, sorry for the pile on, and I didn't mean to take things off topic. The person that logged your cache was simply trying to tell you that they think your cache is missing and needs your attention.

Missing In Action

B.

B.

Talk about making things even more confusing. The OP was already asking about about MIA and now you throw in AWOL, NM, and ASAP. :o

Oh my, i just added to the confusion myself.

Its obviously a reference to Mia Farrow, who is an American actress, humanitarian, and former fashion model.

mia-farrow.jpg

Did you know that Mia Farrow is a geocacher?

I do believe you are the one who discovered that as Lep. Here is the actual article where she states to a reporter she was going out Geocaching after she hung up with him. It's from way back in 2006, so if she still does geocache, she's an old-timer. Mia Farrow probably hates micros. :ph34r:

Its obviously a reference to Mia Farrow, who is an American actress, humanitarian, and former fashion model.

mia-farrow.jpg

I do believe you are the one who discovered that as Lep. Here is the actual article where she states to a reporter she was going out Geocaching after she hung up with him. It's from way back in 2006, so if she still does geocache, she's an old-timer. Mia Farrow probably hates micros. :ph34r:

She also confuses COs when she posts her logs: TNLNSL. TFTC, MIA

Chuck Norris doesn't have an account to explain this?

We don't need Chuck Norris. We have Keystone. :laughing: That is where we get the geocaching term "getting stoned". :ph34r: Chuck Norris can't kick you out of the forums, Keystone can. He can even kick Chuck Norris out of the forums.:P

This thread is FUBAR.....😳

Well, I guess this is the kinda lingo to expect when you get Truckers, MAGC members, and Amaturer radio operators together and call them geocachers. I'm also guessing that the OP is not a member of a 1% Club either? The term "Biker" conjurs up the image to me of a TV show I like. :D

BTW when I read this I was thinking WT_ is this about? But I realized that on this forum, this is just SNAFU

You were nice enough to leave out the last letter of WT but then used the whole SNA acronynm. :o

I've always understood that the "F" in SNAFU stood for "fouled." I guess it depends on who you ask. I may check this out.

Edit: I guess I've been operating with the Bowdlerized version of SNAFU, according to the majority view. However, SNAFU seems to have become a well-accepted word in its own right.

(2nd edit) In that sense, "snafu" is like "scuba." In fact, some people are surprised to learn that "scuba" is an acronym.

Edited by wmpastor

I more regularly see "MIA" used when describing that a cache has none of the reported trackables in its inventory. ("The Signal the Frog geocoin is MIA.") The "action" is the coin's travels from cache to cache.

For a geocache to be "Missing in Action," what's the action? Sitting patiently in that stump, waiting for people to come find it, I guess.

I more regularly see "MIA" used when describing that a cache has none of the reported trackables in its inventory. ("The Signal the Frog geocoin is MIA.") The "action" is the coin's travels from cache to cache.

For a geocache to be "Missing in Action," what's the action? Sitting patiently in that stump, waiting for people to come find it, I guess.

The action would be seeking the cache in the tree stump while on a seek, find, and sign mission. :anibad:

We don't need Chuck Norris. We have Keystone. :laughing: That is where we get the geocaching term "getting stoned". :ph34r: Chuck Norris can't kick you out of the forums, Keystone can. He can even kick Chuck Norris out of the forums.:P

It is rumored that Chuck Norris is a Geocacher, and once directed someone to a Wal-Mart parking lot LPC. Unsubstantiated, of course.

The action would be seeking the cache in the tree stump while on a seek, find, and sign mission. :anibad:

Right, but that's someone else's action, not the cache's. In that scenario "missing in the action" would seem more fitting. :rolleyes:

Uh, anyone heard from the OP lately? Wondering what he thinks of this education-fest he started? :yikes:

Uh, does the OP know what OP means?? :o

Or sitting patiently, bolted to the tree stump, waiting patiently to be archived by a reviewer, as the case may be! ;)

Without any disrespect to those for whom the term was intended, the MIA classification is given to those missing during active service. So, in this context, as long as the cache is not archived, MIA is a fitting acronym.

mia-farrow.jpg

I'm picturing Mia's publicist discovering this thread and Mia rolling her eyes and saying "OMG." :rolleyes: Think she or her family will post a reply??

Edited by wmpastor

MIA as an acronym came from the military. When a soldier was missing after a battle or other action, he was deemed "Missing in Action." With the military's penchant for acronyms, it became "MIA."

It has since been adopted by common English usage to mean anything or anyone that is missing during the course of its operation. In this case, the cacher is suggesting the cache has disappeared somehow - an animal, a muggle, an unscrupulous cache thief, a flood, a tornado, aliens - something seems to have caused the cache to go missing.

I'm sure the OP appreciates this calm voice amidst all of the bedlam! :grin:

Today, a user logged a DNF on of my caches. Here is the text of their log:

No luck here today. This is most likely MIA. Please check on this one.

Does anybody know what MIA means?

Why I hate acronyms.

Yeah, TLA's are a pain.

I think the Masonry Institute of America is involved with fake-rock caches, & "MIA" is actually a broad hint or a spoiler-post!

It is rumored that Chuck Norris is a Geocacher, and once directed someone to a Wal-Mart parking lot LPC. Unsubstantiated, of course.

It was evidently someone he didn't like. :P

BTW when I read this I was thinking WT_ is this about? But I realized that on this forum, this is just SNAFU

You were nice enough to leave out the last letter of WT but then used the whole SNA acronynm. :o

But of course. Everyone knows the "F" stands for Fouled. :lol:

My dad was a WWII vet and told me about SNAFU when I was a kid in the conservative 1950's. He said it was Fouled.

PAul

Missing In Action

B.

B.

Better yet floridabiker, go back and check on ALL of your caches. Based on the logs, they all seem to be in need of a little TLC.

Well, first, it's amazing how many posts I've gotten on this thread without really participating in it.

On to the point, you've no right to be commanding me to immediately check on the status of my caches and then go reporting to you ASAP. I am not like most geocachers who are obsessed with the game. I cache in my free time, when I feel like it. I will get to the cache when I decide to.

Also, do not accuse me of going to accuse of stalking.