"FIELD trip" App

jhuoni

I recently came across this app and wondered if anyone else had checked it out.

This info comes from the Android App Store:

Description

"Field Trip can help guide the way..." - AllThingsD

"The future of Augmented Reality" - The Atlantic

"App of the Day" - Gizmodo

Field Trip is your guide to the cool, hidden, and unique things in the world around you. Field Trip runs in the background on your phone. When you get close to something interesting, it pops up a card with details about the location. No click is required. If you have a headset or bluetooth connected, it can even read the info to you.

Field Trip can help you learn about everything from local history to the latest and best places to shop, eat, and have fun. You select the local feeds you like and the information pops up on your phone automatically, as you walk next to those places.

The hyperlocal history experts of Arcadia and Historvius will unveil local lore in places you never expected. Trend-setting publications like TimeOut, Thrillist, Food Network, Zagat, and Eater will point out the best places to eat and drink. Experts at Sunset, Cool Hunting, WeHeart, Inhabitat, and Remodelista will guide you to the latest unique stores and products. Atlas Obscura, Dezeen and Spotted by Locals help you uncover hidden gems no matter where you are. Songkick and Flavorpill guide you to local music.

What did you discover today? Enrich yourself with a Field trip during your commute. Live like a local when you travel to new places. Eat and shop off the beaten path. Or simply discover the obscure history about your neighborhood during your next walk to the park.

Get ready to see this world with new eyes!

There are 8 different categories which you can select info from:

Architecture, Games, Historic Places and Events, Lifestyles, Offers & Deals, Food, Drinks, and Fun, Cool and Unique, and Art & Museums.

It draws info from sites such as: (only a sample, some of the ones I selected to use)

HMDB.org (Historical Marker Database)

Chimani (Guide to U.S. and National Parks around the world)

Go Trippin! (Find accomodations, activities, adventure ect)

Abandoned USA (photo project documneting abandoned places)

Archaeological Instutite of America

Historic Spots in California

Historic UK

All information is customizable, you select only the things you want to see.

It is the holiday season, I just thought I would share this resource.

Who knows, someone might find it a useful tool while out looking for a great waymark.

I've been a fan of the app since it first launched. It can definitely come in handy when Waymarking and I can be used in conjunction with your activities. The more populous the area you are visiting, the better it works. I like to use it when I'm visiting a new area and I decide to do some spontaneous photography with my phone. It's developed by Niantic Labs, the same group that launched Ingress, which is owned by Google.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticproject.scout&hl=en

If Groundspeak had actually cared about Waymarking all these years, I could totally have seen them launching this same app based on Waymarking.com data. It's too bad they have let everything languish. Groundspeak developed an iOS history app using Waymarking.com data at one point, but it was half-baked and never went anywhere, kinda like the website.

I haven't seen this app, but might check it out.

I do agree that some type of Waymarking app would be great, and Groundspeak recognizes that too, but is unwilling to commit resources into something that doesn't bring in revenue, so it is a business decision. But, isn't there some way to make money from an app?

If this app draws from multiple databases, why not draw from Waymarking.com? Could that be licensed? Or at least some selected categories.

In my opinion, Waymarking.com will never reach its true potential until it breaks with its Geocaching.com roots and explores options in the larger world.